talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

A thread to talk about all the wrong's done by VAR in the Premier League this season, i will start with the last two City games  ..i have to hold my hand up and say i was all for VAR  ..correct score's i thought, no more offside goal's, no more diving etc etc  ..great! :91_thumbsup: ..but the reality is very different using the last two City games as an example

Last week Sterling was ruled offside for at worse being level and yesterday VAR should of called a clear penalty in the first half missed by the ref and then at the end of the game we had this

djX4KkN.jpg

VAR call hand ball Laporte and goal ruled out, you can see it was shoulder Laporte and handball Spurs player  ..VAR staff have all the images to get the call's right but somehow over the two City games the VAR staff have got it very wrong!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Batard said:

I don't blame VAR for yesterday's handball debacle. I blame the ridiculous handball laws that have overly confused the situation. 

Is shoulder hand ball now?? ..not looked at the rules in a long time  ..real question, it used to be fine!

1PAhNSf.gif

Edited by Happy Blue

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

A still image doesn't really prove anything here. The replay shows it hits his arm at some point. As said, the ridiculous handball rules are what's wrong with yesterday's incident.

But it shows it hit the Spurs players arm first, would of been harsh to give a penalty but should of been play on   ..hows VAR been in Liverpool games so far?

Edited by Happy Blue

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

A thread to talk about all the wrong's done by VAR in the Premier League this season, i will start with the last two City games  ..i have to hold my hand up and say i was all for VAR  ..correct score's i thought, no more offside goal's, no more diving etc etc  ..great! :91_thumbsup: ..but the reality is very different using the last two City games as an example

Last week Sterling was ruled offside for at worse being level and yesterday VAR should of called a clear penalty in the first half missed by the ref and then at the end of the game we had this

djX4KkN.jpg

VAR call hand ball Laporte and goal ruled out, you can see it was shoulder Laporte and handball Spurs player  ..VAR staff have all the images to get the call's right but somehow over the two City games the VAR staff have got it very wrong!

Pretty sure you're wumming with the bold bit, but this "the attacker was only slightly offside so it should've stood" stuff is the stupidest criticism of VAR I've ever heard. Saw it a lot in the Women's World Cup and seen a bit more of it now the new season's started, and I'm constantly stunned that people are able to put it forward with a straight face.

The handball thing is the rule being applied correctly. It's not handball by either player because it's not deliberate, unnatural position, etc., but it becomes handball by the City player as soon as Jesus scores. Again, stupid rule, but VAR's not the enemy on this one.

The penalty... yeah, it looked a pen to me. I don't think I've seen a non-award of a penalty for a foul (not handball) being overturned by VAR, so I'm curious to see what it would take. How bad would it have to be?

11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Pretty sure you're wumming with the bold bit, but this "the attacker was only slightly offside so it should've stood" stuff is the stupidest criticism of VAR I've ever heard. Saw it a lot in the Women's World Cup and seen a bit more of it now the new season's started, and I'm constantly stunned that people are able to put it forward with a straight face.

The handball thing is the rule being applied correctly. It's not handball by either player because it's not deliberate, unnatural position, etc., but it becomes handball by the City player as soon as Jesus scores. Again, stupid rule, but VAR's not the enemy on this one.

The penalty... yeah, it looked a pen to me. I don't think I've seen a non-award of a penalty for a foul (not handball) being overturned by VAR, so I'm curious to see what it would take. How bad would it have to be?

How has VAR been in the Liverpool games so far?

Edited by Happy Blue

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

How they VAR been in the Liverpool games so far?

I can't remember it being used in the league games, to be honest. In the Super Cup it was broadly fine apart from that aberration of a penalty Chelsea got. It was a contact foul again, which is where the rules are probably the most vague, so no real surprise it's getting them wrong.

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League (2019/20 Season)
  • Administrator

Funnily enough, VAR has actually got stuff right more often than not so far in the Premier League.

Obviously all the bad stuff gets exaggerated more because that's what we're like as a society. 

And a lot of the criticism of VAR actually points more towards about criticism of the rules of the game, not necessarily VAR itself.

Clarify and remove the ambiguity of some rules and VAR will end up working perfectly. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My biggest issue with VAR is how they keep the flag down even if someone is obviously well offside

Again comes down to the rulings more than anything I think? 

The assistant has to make a split-second decision on how sure they are about an offside and if they think it's obvious or now. The game is so fast-paced these days, at an insane level. Essentially the reason why VAR comes in is to support the officials, not necessarily take the trust away from them. 

How many times do we see it on TV (from a different angle, can be good/bad though) where we say 'no way, he was onside!' or 'that's definitely offside" and we turn out to be (clearly, sometimes) wrong. Same for assistants and yes I know they're professionals and have the training etc but it still doesn't make it much easier when it comes to how quickly they have to weigh up the decision. 

I can see why the rule is now in - assistant's can even put the flag up but the referee doesn't have to whistle if the player is in on goal. It takes away the doubt of the goalscoring opportunity and gives the attacker the benefit of the doubt. How annoying was it when a player was through on goal, yet despite being onside the flag went up? The new rule enables that chance to be completed and checked later.

My only real issue with VAR isn't anything to do with what it checks but purely the time it takes to check something. Having said that, even the timing has improved since it first came in and most decisions in PL have been relatively quick. 

21 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

djX4KkN.jpg

It does hit the top of his arm which is a handball. No one likes the new rule but no one has said that under the new rules that goal should have stood. Again sterling was offside last week no one has debated that.  You should have had a penalty though I'll give you that. 

On 18/08/2019 at 19:48, Stan said:

So I think VAR at its best - and it still needs to be honed to make sure it's at its best and that might take a period of time - to give the referees more eyes to get decisions right is a no-brainer. - Frank Lampard https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48051342

But from my professional perspective, I like the feeling of a right decision coming. It's a penalty or not a penalty, it's handball or not handball, it's a red card or not a red card. I think a fair decision is a feeling that I like - Jose Mourinho https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

"I think we have to try and analyze if it's possible to help the sport to make better decisions, even for the referee. We have to try using video technology in the Premier League. In every single team sport technology helps us to make better decisions. Why not [in] football? - Mauricio Pellegrino https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

If we can have something that helps the referees to take a better decision I am happy to see it in a good way. - Carlos Carvahal

England have good referees. If we review the mistakes, we have less mistakes. If they can do their job better with the help of technology, we must try to help the referees. So, for me, it's important we help the referees. - Javi Gracia

For penalties and free-kicks, it's good. Same for red cards. I think it's the new revolution in football, it's good for football." - Marouane Fellaini after the last World Cup

"It has brought a good honest assessment of what happens in the box. More situations are being punished. - Roberto Martinez

'It's been one of the most entertaining World Cups in a while, especially with VAR. It brings a different entertainment. When there are penalty shouts and the ref makes that (VAR) sign, it brings another element. It's exciting. - Raheem Sterling https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784088-how-the-players-feel-about-use-of-var-at-the-world-cup

Now obviously I don't think it's all 100% right now and I'm well aware there's several managers/players who don't like it. It's dividing. It's polarising. But let's not act like everyone is against the use of VAR in the game.

*Moved from Match thread  ..(try keep the VAR debate in here please instead of all over the place)

'I like VAR' - Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola backs video refereeing despite last week's controversy

August 23 2019 3:41 PM

•  

•  
  •  

Pep Guardiola remains a firm supporter of the VAR system despite the fact Manchester City were on the wrong end of a costly decision last weekend.

Gabriel Jesus saw what would have been a late winner against Tottenham ruled out for a handball by Aymeric Laporte, a week after Raheem Sterling's goal at West Ham was not given due to a tight offside.

"The reason for (VAR) is to bring more justice, to be more fair and that is the only reason I like VAR," Guardiola said.

"I think in the end it's going to happen but it's the first season and it's normal what has happened."

Jesus was furious after the goal was disallowed, and though the striker has previously been sent off in similar circumstances while playing for Brazil, Guardiola said he had no concerns about his reaction.

"This is an emotional game when you score a goal in this way," Guardiola said.

"When it is disallowed what should his reaction be? His reaction was normal. He didn't do anything exceptional."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/i-like-var-manchester-city-boss-pep-guardiola-backs-video-refereeing-despite-last-weeks-controversy-38430373.html

Edited by Happy Blue

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League