talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

Just now, Cicero said:

How do you improve efficiency?

Trial and error. 

Let's hope they are actually taking it to account. The use has been very inconsistent.

They nailed it during the World Cup last year, then botched it up again in the Copa America and the Womens World Cup. Then in the U17 WC they nailed it again. So I don't know what to think at this point, I still prefer human instinct but it can clearly be used correctly with the right group of referees.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

He just said that there is no issue with goal line technology because the decisions are black and white. Either the ball is over the line completely or it isn't.

Yet he criticises VAR's offsides because it accurately measures offsides to a point where it does become black and white. If the attacker is ahead of the 2nd to last defender or if he isn't...

Madlad at least put up a fair argument that it takes ages to make a decision as opposed to goal line technology. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Exactly.

If a ball can be 2mm in front/behind the line then so can a player when it comes to being offside...

I think the issue is whether it's accurately measuring whether players are offside at the point the ball is played. The technology isn't completely accurate.

• Subscriber

The best solution I've read for the offside situation is to put a tiny monitor in the shirt of each player or something, in a standard place so everyone's is the same and then have a goal line technology like system to measure who if offside, therefore you get the decision instantly like you do with goal line.

The catch of course is this will render linesman pretty irrelevant, their only job really is to be an incidactor of what's happened rather than making the decision, and that's quite a step towards officials being gotten rid of completely which I think would be a shame.

It can't go on the way it is. Nobody can possibly like these delays.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

The best solution I've read for the offside situation is to put a tiny monitor in the shirt of each player or something, in a standard place so everyone's is the same and then have a goal line technology like system to measure who if offside, therefore you get the decision instantly like you do with goal line.

The catch of course is this will render linesman pretty irrelevant, their only job really is to be an incidactor of what's happened rather than making the decision, and that's quite a step towards officials being gotten rid of completely which I think would be a shame.

It can't go on the way it is. Nobody can possibly like these delays.

That would be useless though in my opinion. If it’s at the front of a shirt and the defender faces the halfway line whilst the striker faces the goal, he’d be offside, even stood next to each other.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

That would be useless though in my opinion. If it’s at the front of a shirt and the defender faces the halfway line whilst the striker faces the goal, he’d be offside, even stood next to each other.

That's a fair point to be honest.

Maybe every player needs to have one installed into their stomach as a Premier League requirement xD

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the first VAR season is getting wrote off which is a good thing with all the outrageous calls from the blind staff in the VAR booths  ..might not be anymore football for a long time with this virus only just getting going, should they use this time to hire staff that can see or scrap VAR altogether? 

8 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

So the first VAR season is getting wrote off which is a good thing with all the outrageous calls from the blind staff in the VAR booths  ..might not be anymore football for a long time with this virus only just getting going, should they use this time to hire staff that can see or scrap VAR altogether? 

Yep, scrap it.

Been a total disaster whilst taking all the euphoria out of the game. There cant be one single person on planet earth that thinks its improved the game. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yep, scrap it.

Been a total disaster whilst taking all the euphoria out of the game. There cant be one single person on planet earth that thinks its improved the game. 

It's been run by a bunch of chimps mate, in the current state we are better off without   ..would you not give it ago with decent staff? works great in the NFL

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yep, scrap it.

You done with football yet?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Interesting. I know Clattenburg isn't a great ref from what I hear and has a lot of flaws himself, but the fact one of the referees speaks out about it says a lot.

He did admit there were highs and lows to the system though. Which I think is the fairest way to put it.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/06/mark-clattenburg-on-var-goal-line-technology-sheffield-united-hawk-eye/

• 3 weeks later...

This is a pretty big admission to make on a night where three big calls were all made incorrectly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, the Premier League has told BBC Match of the Day.

Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.

And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.

The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties, but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

Former Everton midfielder Tim Cahill, a Match of the Day pundit, said a former player should be involved to work alongside the VAR officials at Stockley Park.

"I think that would really help them, to understand the movements," the former Australia international said.

"When a player falls to buy a penalty you can feel it. It must need a player there to give advice on what the player is doing.

"They're there to make the big decisions and they can't do it. It's really disappointing."

Fifa is taking over direct responsibility of VAR from football rulemakers IFAB and is expected to insist on greater consistency across more than 100 global leagues, on issues such as the use of pitchside monitors.

There has been confusion in the Premier League, with referees' chief Mike Riley limiting the use of monitors to not slow the game down.

I don't think Tim Cahill makes a bad point there. Maybe an ex-player should be on the VAR panel to assist.

Either way, these decisions cannot persist now we have the use of technology or else it will render it pointless.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This is a pretty big admission to make on a night where three big calls were all made incorrectly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

I don't think Tim Cahill makes a bad point there. Maybe an ex-player should be on the VAR panel to assist.

Either way, these decisions cannot persist now we have the use of technology or else it will render it pointless.

That ex-player would have to be qualified, and you'd have to have a series of players to avoid bias in a match (like to avoid how weird it is that Carragher and Neville do Liverpool & Man Utd matches respectively on commentary). 

I mentioned in the other VAR thread about consequences for referees who make these mistakes. Are there any? Will they back on VAR this weekend? What lessons are learnt?

For PGMOL to come out and say incorrect decisions were made is one thing, but I'd love to hear why they thought those decisions were made in the heat of the moment or just at the time of incident. What was the thought process of Graeme Scott agreeing with Moss that it was a penalty...

I think the ex-player thing could work but it has to be paramount to avoid the same questions we're asking now - what's stopping a player making the same mistakes as a referee? It goes down to 'education' and training and 100% knowing the rules with as little subjective interpretation or ambiguity as possible.

I do wonder how FIFA's ownership and control will change things. Obviously hopefully for the better. I stand by that having independent VAR officials in their hubs wherever they are is a step in the right direction. In the Everton Southampton game you have the same officials that screwed over Everton in a previous game (against Brighton). And they've cocked up again. You have Jon Moss doing his 3rd Utd game in 4 matches. That's almost unheard of to do so many in quick succession for the same club? If there are independent referees (either in games or in VAR hubs), it hopefully eradicates the 'I'll support my mate's decision here' angle. Maybe. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Why they're not letting the referee view incidents back on the pitch side monitor is beyond me

Because if they did that they wouldn't be able to award Utd a penalty every game gifting them a passage into the top four silly. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...