talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Clicked the Richard Keys link, not sure why, but I did, closed it off within a paragraph as he started talking about "free speech", an alt right dog whistle these days and you just know that's exactly where he's got it from. 

When Richard Keys is in your corner saying you don't need to be professional I think as a rule of thumb you probably should do the opposite.

2 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Clicked the Richard Keys link, not sure why, but I did, closed it off within a paragraph as he started talking about "free speech", an alt right dog whistle these days and you just know that's exactly where he's got it from. 

When Richard Keys is in your corner saying you don't need to be professional I think as a rule of thumb you probably should do the opposite.

Richard Keys is a bellend but it’s weird as fuck the league is calling in telling the media to stop talking about how useless the refs are when it’s one of the most interesting thing about the league.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Richard Keys is a bellend but it’s weird as fuck the league is calling in telling the media to stop talking about how useless the refs are when it’s one of the most interesting thing about the league.

I'm not sure it is that weird. They have no power to enforce a couple of people to not talk about it, but if whomever made the calls has a good relationship with who they called they may have been asking a favour or for some moral support. That is standard in press relationships, journos often have to grease people up to get access, but it doesn't help not knowing who the two are. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's if Keys is telling the truth...

i am not a fan of CAR and I believe it is making the standard of refereeing much lower as refs are to scared to make decisions.

Human error is tolerable it's part of the game, Maradonas hand ball is immortalised because of it.  I just want to go back to referees making decisions and that's it.  i can accept that sometimes my own team will be done over by a bad decision.   We have actually had VAR screw us over a few times already, except now we have to wait 17 minutes for a decision to be made

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

We have actually had VAR screw us over a few times already, except now we have to wait 17 minutes for a decision to be made

TBF to the tech and its use in football, this seems to be a problem predominant in England mostly with very few issues elsewhere. The PGMOL just love to invent ways to make the tech seem like its not working. And, maybe thats been the plan from the start. 

Having only seen a still of the Gabriel issue it looked like a stonewall pen, but actually watching the footage Neville makes a valid point in that the reason Gabriel goes down is not because hes being pushed, but because he leans down to head the ball. Once he misses it he makes a meal of it and drops to the floor.

Crazy Arsenal went through all of that for a decision that the refs got spot on.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Having only seen a still of the Gabriel issue it looked like a stonewall pen, but actually watching the footage Neville makes a valid point in that the reason Gabriel goes down is not because hes being pushed, but because he leans down to head the ball. Once he misses it he makes a meal of it and drops to the floor.

Crazy Arsenal went through all of that for a decision that the refs got spot on.

Not sure a defender gets a penalty in their own area when they're fouled :ph34r: 

Gabriel goes down because he does lean to head the ball, but there is also two hands on his back to make him fall further and therefore not actually be able to head the ball. 

For me the ball is out, the Gabriel foul is arguable (to me, just about a foul), and the offside I agree is inconclusive.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure a defender gets a penalty in their own area when they're fouled :ph34r: 

Gabriel goes down because he does lean to head the ball, but there is also two hands on his back to make him fall further and therefore not actually be able to head the ball. 

For me the ball is out, the Gabriel foul is arguable (to me, just about a foul), and the offside I agree is inconclusive.

Haha penalty, what am I going on about. Meant foul.

I dont think you can say the ball is out, I think its close enough to the line that its impossible to make that call unless youre close enough to it.

The arms are on him, but I think VAR clears up the fact that Gabriel drops to the floor cos hes trying to get under the ball, not cos he was pushed.

It is crazy how much drama this has created lol, Arsenal got themselves hyped off of the back of Liverpool’s statement and have made themselves look silly now.

• Administrator

Must admit I watched the mic'd up programme and I can't really fault the decision made in that Newcastle game for the Gordon goal. 

Can't really say the comms was wrong based on evidence being inconclusive even from the extra camera angles they showed on the programme. Ball out is still perhaps debatable but they couldn't change away from the on field decision without clearly proving it. 

Sian Massey did well to point out Maguire's offside in the Fulham game. Correct decision made there. 

• 2 months later...