talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FIFA ought to hire some AI company because humans are idiots and idiots make mistakes. AI VAR is the future.

And one day... robot refs please

Cor can you imagine a robot pointing to the penalty spot like Mike Dean does xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FIFA ought to hire some AI company because humans are idiots and idiots make mistakes. AI VAR is the future.

fembot refs please.

Also, I think FIFA should do the right thing here and force the VAR refs to not be from the same league as the refs on the pitch. It would cut out all the second guessing and the VAR refs would have no genuine interest based on the teams playing. Kind of like how you never let your fiscal audits happen with people from your own company.

Just change the rule about clear and obvious errors. Give the VAR ref just as much power as the on field. A lot of decisions that haven’t been overturned would have if the rules around it weren’t so fucking idiotic. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rick said:

Just change the rule about clear and obvious errors. Give the VAR ref just as much power as the on field. A lot of decisions that haven’t been overturned would have if the rules around it weren’t so fucking idiotic. 

Agreed that this would make it better. The league simply don’t it want it to look like their referees are being undermined. However, some of them are already looking stupid and at the end of the day, if a colleague has a replay benefit, just let them use it. Not for niggly fouls etc, but red cards, pens, handball etc. The problem with handball (and forever will be) is individual interpretation.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why can't the match ref view it at the side of the pitch and decide for himself if he's made an error or not? Is that not what happened in the World Cup and last season in the Champions League?

They apparently try very hard not to thats what I read somewhere. I believe it as on the Athletic. The Prem has some weird rules around it as well which makes it even more odder than most other places. I mean its a screen and it should be used so I don't get who is benefiting from it not being used.

54 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why can't the match ref view it at the side of the pitch and decide for himself if he's made an error or not? Is that not what happened in the World Cup and last season in the Champions League?

No because the game would then be stopped everytime an incident happened and it totally ruins the flow of the game.

I'd be happy if the VAR ref could totally overrule the on pitch ref by simply telling him he got it wrong via microphone etc. 

Would be much quicker and would cause much less debate. 

I've no problem with VAR as such, if it's worked correctly. As it stands though (and I dont think anyone could argue), it's a fucking joke how it's been implemented. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

No because the game would then be stopped everytime an incident happened and it totally ruins the flow of the game.

I'd be happy if the VAR ref could totally overrule the on pitch ref by simply telling him he got it wrong via microphone etc. 

I've no problem with VAR as such, if it's worked correctly. As it stands though (and I dont think anyone could argue), it's a fucking joke how it's been implemented. 

I'm not talking about every decision that's reviewed by the VAR ref. I'm sure in the World Cup the ref was told by the people reviewing the screens that he'd either got the decision correct or if he should take another look.

20 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not talking about every decision that's reviewed by the VAR ref. I'm sure in the World Cup the ref was told by the people reviewing the screens that he'd either got the decision correct or if he should take another look.

Yes but then you have to have the ref go off the pitch everytime somebody else thinks hes got it wrong.... just to check. It would make things even worse. 

A quick check by VAR, tell the ref the decision, and get on with it. Totally overrule him if needs be. 

No point going on with how things are at the moment because its farcical. 

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

We could have one of them Domino pizza drones to hover around the ref with a TV screen or the ref could have a helmet with a flip down screen, or maybe have the ref on a segway with a screen on ;)

7 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We could have one of them Domino pizza drones to hover around the ref with a TV screen or the ref could have a helmet with a flip down screen, or maybe have the ref on a segway with a screen on ;)

Or they could just fuck it off altogether and go back to when football was a mans game 👍:D

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Or they could just fuck it off altogether and go back to when football was a mans game 👍:D

What, when they could punch, dive and kick fuck out of each other :D  ..they called it rugby football in the end mate, they left the plain old football for the puffs ;)

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Should also use robot footballers as well because the human ones are shit. You seen the mistakes Messi and Ronaldo make :ph34r:

6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Gotta admit I like var and even I don't see the point in it if they are never gonna use it for penalties.  I'm think they could try a system where they have 3 categories. One being the ref almost certainly got it right so ignore and carry on the game. One where they are certain he got it wrong so tell him. And where they tell him he might want to check it. That probably wouldn't cause to much disruption. Out of interest do you mind var for offsides and red cards?

10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Gotta admit I like var and even I don't see the point in it if they are never gonna use it for penalties.  I'm think they could try a system where they have 3 categories. One being the ref almost certainly got it right so ignore and carry on the game. One where they are certain he got it wrong so tell him. And where they tell him he might want to check it. That probably wouldn't cause to much disruption. Out of interest do you mind var for offsides and red cards?

Offsides no because it's clearly improved that aspect of decisions. Everything else though and its absolutely useless, and I dont think anyone can argue with that. VAR isnt allowed to overrule the referee, so what is the point of it?

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Offsides no because it's clearly improved that aspect of decisions. Everything else though and its absolutely useless, and I dont think anyone can argue with that. VAR isnt allowed to overrule the referee, so what is the point of it?

I'm not sure about red cards haven't seen anything.  Gotta admit don't think it is doing anything for penalties. Probably means some are not being given that should. Definitely that needs work. 

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

VAR should ref the match relaying instructions to the on field official 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is just an absolute joke now making what is supposedly a premier product look Mickey Mouse. 

I’m just not watching other games anymore, as soon as I read VAR controversy I think “fuck that I’m tired of this shit now” and I move on. 

Do you reckon they will change it or tweak it because it’s become an absolute farce. 

If officials are still making incorrect calls after 2nd, or even at times unlimited viewings, they need to be questioned. If VAR is going to exploit the poor standard of officiating in England, it will completely defeat its purpose if these officials will continue to be protected by the FA instead of improved on. 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If officials are still making incorrect calls after 2nd, or even at times unlimited viewings, they need to be questioned. If VAR is going to exploit the poor standard of officiating in England, it will completely defeat its purpose if these officials will continue to be protected by the FA instead of improved on. 

This.

Also the very flawed and over complicated nature of some of the rules of football, especially those introduced to fit in with VAR ironically, are being exposed.

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League