talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ashley Cole Retires

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.451d924fe42e7eb33bd2347286808be0.png

Former England, Arsenal and Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole has announced his playing retirement from football.

Cole, 38, was out of contract at Derby County at the end of the 2018-19 season and says he is now focused on coaching.

He made his professional debut for Arsenal in 1999 and went on to represent Crystal Palace on loan, Chelsea, Roma, LA Galaxy and Derby.

"After hard thinking, it was time to hang up my boots and look forward to my next chapter," Cole told Sky Sports.

Cole said he is currently taking qualifications with a view to moving into a coaching role.

The London-born defender earned 107 caps for England and is the most decorated footballer in FA Cup history, having lifted the trophy seven times.

He also won the Premier League twice with Arsenal - including the 2003-04 season in which the Gunners went unbeaten - and once with Chelsea after moving to Stamford Bridge in 2006.

Cole won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2011-12 and the Europa League the following season.

After joining Derby County in January, he worked under the management of his former Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard and helped the club to the Championship play-off final, where they were beaten by Aston Villa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49386282

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phenomenal player on his day, spent large swathes of his time in England as probably the best LB in the world. Yet I always felt he was understated a bit over here, maybe as a result of his off the pitch antics or having to share the playing limelight with John Terry and Rio. Wish him well with whatever he takes on next, hopefully follows the likes of Lampard and Gerrard from his generation as a decent revelation in management.

• The title was changed to Ashley Cole Retires

Definitely the best English left-back of our generation but he’ll always be categorised in an England shirt as an underachiever having played in that period between about 2002-2008 where, on that footballing clichè of on paper, we had a good squad that failed to progress beyond the QF’s of any tournament. 

Will also be remembered as one of the most hated players of that period, too for the whole “Cashley” thing around Arsenal’s contract offer and his subsequent move to Chelsea. 

An excellent player who had a superb career. 

Didnt want him at my club, but he won me over with superb displays over many seasons. Baring in mind we gave up Billy Gallas to get him, he had many more than just me against him, including one very memorable call into ChelseaTV on the day he signed. Best footballing left back I have seen no matter what shirt worn and a much better bloke than the weak minded would have you believe.

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Vegan Kel said:

As mad as it may sound he quite possibly is the best English player of the last 25-30 years (basically since Gazza). He was definitely the best left back in the world for about a decade and rarely had a bad game at any level. Knobhead though

I think Gary Neville said the same thing. Defenders don't always get as much credit.

Archived