Crystal Palace +0

Bournemouth -1

Southampton -2

Watford -3

Chelsea / Man Utd / Wolves -4

West Ham / Arsenal -6

Man City -8

Tottenham -16

- No change for Watford, Man City or Spurs as they faced promoted opposition.

- Many results were repeated from last season: Bournemouth beat Brighton, Everton and Newcastle draw, Southampton win at Palace, Liverpool win at Wolves.

- The only change on Tuesday night was Chelsea's failure to repeat last season's win over Arsenal. Arsenal therefore gain a point and drag their London rivals further below the breakeven point.

- Leicester would have expected to regain their lead at the top of the table having turned last season's point against West Ham into a comfortable three...

- ... However, joint leaders Burnley shocked Man Utd at Old Trafford, also improving their differential score by 2 points, leaving them neck and neck with The Foxes.

- There will be a small update in a few days following West Ham vs Liverpool where an away win would see Liverpool jump ahead of Newcastle to 3rd.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

A small update following Liverpool's win at West Ham midweek, a game that was drawn last season. Liverpool gain 2 points and therefore jump to 3rd in the table. West Ham down to -7 meaning that they are only above Man City and Spurs.

Leicester / Burnley +12

Liverpool +8

Newcastle +7

Everton +5

Brighton +4

Crystal Palace +0

Bournemouth -1

Southampton -2

Watford -3

Arsenal -6

West Ham -7

Man City -8

Tottenham -16

• Subscriber

This weekend's fixtures and their result from last season:

Leicester vs Chelsea (draw)

Bournemouth vs Aston Villa (N/A)

Crystal Palace vs Sheffield Utd (N/A)

Liverpool vs Southampton (home win)

Newcastle vs Norwich (N/A)

Watford vs Everton (home win)

West Ham vs Brighton (draw)

Man Utd vs Wolves (draw)

Burnley vs Arsenal (away win)

Tottenham vs Man City (away win)

- Opportunities for both of the top two to improve on their scores of +12 this weekend so there's a very good chance we could see an outright leader emerge again.

- At the other end, no opportunity to improve for either Arsenal or Man City who have to win on the road just to stay still for another week.

- If Tottenham can beat Man City and secure the three point swing, they will suddenly be just two points away from the next team above them, something that hasn't been the case since the very start of the season.

- Liverpool and Newcastle are both unable to improve this week so a win for Everton at Watford would put them joint with their local rivals, assuming Liverpool beat Southampton at home again and maintain their score of +8.

- West Ham and Brighton will both be eyeing last season's draw as an opportunity to improve by 2 points this weekend. As will Man Utd and Wolves who start the weekend level on -4 points.

Considering how we were pretty fucking good last year... it's pretty remarkable we've got +8 for our points differential.

To me, the biggest surprise is still Newcastle. Because regardless of what the table is telling me right now, I firmly believe Rafa is a much better manager than Steve Bruce and his big fat head. But to his credit, Bruce has got them smashing and grabbing their way up the table. I'm not sure how sustainable it is... but fair play to him.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Considering how we were pretty fucking good last year... it's pretty remarkable we've got +8 for our points differential.

To me, the biggest surprise is still Newcastle. Because regardless of what the table is telling me right now, I firmly believe Rafa is a much better manager than Steve Bruce and his big fat head. But to his credit, Bruce has got them smashing and grabbing their way up the table. I'm not sure how sustainable it is... but fair play to him.

Yeah, obviously this still doesn't account for games against promoted teams but it says a lot that you missed out on the title by one point, and this season you're 8 points better off and Man City have done 8 points worse, so your improvement relative to them is 16 points with about a third of the season still to go. Pretty huge swing between two teams that were first and second last season. Even if you'd have won every single game you would have a maximum of +10 here which still wouldn't put you top which goes to show how good last season was already and really underlines how incredibly good this season has been. Twats.

I think next season I have to include the games against promoted teams and compare them to the games against the teams that got relegated the previous season. Even well over half the campaign gone now, there are still some really anomalous numbers in there. I can comment on Everton because I can remember our results against last season's relegated teams. We've lost to all three promoted sides in the first half of this season. Our first three results against Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham last season were draw, win, win, so if they were included we'd be on -2 instead of +5 which would be much more reflective of how we've done compared to last season.

There are some other weird ones like Wolves being on -4. I obviously don't know their results from last season or this season off the top of my head but I do remember that Huddersfield beat them twice last season so while they're down 4 points in the fixtures that match up with last season, they must have gained at least a few points against Norwich, Villa and Sheffield United compared to what they got against Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham in the first half of last season.

Burnley's +12 also seems weirdly high. It seems like Bournemouth should be worse than -1 as well. 

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah, obviously this still doesn't account for games against promoted teams but it says a lot that you missed out on the title by one point, and this season you're 8 points better off and Man City have done 8 points worse, so your improvement relative to them is 16 points with about a third of the season still to go. Pretty huge swing between two teams that were first and second last season. Even if you'd have won every single game you would have a maximum of +10 here which still wouldn't put you top which goes to show how good last season was already and really underlines how incredibly good this season has been. Twats.

I think next season I have to include the games against promoted teams and compare them to the games against the teams that got relegated the previous season. Even well over half the campaign gone now, there are still some really anomalous numbers in there. I can comment on Everton because I can remember our results against last season's relegated teams. We've lost to all three promoted sides in the first half of this season. Our first three results against Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham last season were draw, win, win, so if they were included we'd be on -2 instead of +5 which would be much more reflective of how we've done compared to last season.

There are some other weird ones like Wolves being on -4. I obviously don't know their results from last season or this season off the top of my head but I do remember that Huddersfield beat them twice last season so while they're down 4 points in the fixtures that match up with last season, they must have gained at least a few points against Norwich, Villa and Sheffield United compared to what they got against Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham in the first half of last season.

Burnley's +12 also seems weirdly high. It seems like Bournemouth should be worse than -1 as well. 

How do you plan on assigning which promoted team corresponds to which relegated team? I suppose the easiest way is whoever finishes first in the Championship would be 18th, second place would be 19th, and the playoff promoted side would be 20th? Makes sense to me.

But yeah, it would probably be a better reflection to account for promotion/relegation. The obvious pitfall there, and why I assumed you left those sides out, is that... it's not really like we're playing the same sides - it's a whole other team from the one we played last season that's in it's place. But as you say, it'd probably reflect some things a bit accurately, as yeah... some seem weirdly high. I was also surprised by Burnley and Bournemouth as well - especially Bournemouth because they've been really shit this season.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How do you plan on assigning which promoted team corresponds to which relegated team? I suppose the easiest way is whoever finishes first in the Championship would be 18th, second place would be 19th, and the playoff promoted side would be 20th? Makes sense to me.

But yeah, it would probably be a better reflection to account for promotion/relegation. The obvious pitfall there, and why I assumed you left those sides out, is that... it's not really like we're playing the same sides - it's a whole other team from the one we played last season that's in it's place. But as you say, it'd probably reflect some things a bit accurately, as yeah... some seem weirdly high. I was also surprised by Burnley and Bournemouth as well - especially Bournemouth because they've been really shit this season.

Probably just take the six results against the relegated sides and replace them in order chronologically. Both approaches are flawed though like you say.

This is quite interesting.

Shows that Bruce is doing a very good job - I don't think anyone really wanted him but he's definitely got them scrapping and fighting for every point. As someone's said, I don't think what we're doing now is sustainable, but long may it continue!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Update following last weekend's fixtures:

Burnley +13

Leicester +12

Everton +8

Newcastle +7

Liverpool +6

Brighton +4

Crystal Palace +0

Bournemouth -1

Southampton -2

Watford / West Ham -6

Arsenal -8

Man City -11

Tottenham -13

- No change for Bournemouth, Crystal Palace or Newcastle who all faced newly-promoted opponents.

- The majority of other fixtures saw repeat results from last season - Leicester and Chelsea drew, Liverpool beat Southampton, West Ham drew with Brighton and Man Utd drew with Wolves.

- Everton were the only team to make a profit on Saturday, with their comeback against Watford securing them a three point swing and sending them 3rd. Watford fall to -6 level with West Ham.

- Burnley have managed to overhaul Leicester outright at the top of the standings, their draw with Arsenal an improvement on last season. Arsenal drop two points closer to the bottom.

- Tottenham's win over Manchester City gifted them a much needed +3 gain. Last year's champions are at serious risk of sliding to the very bottom of the pile here.

• Subscriber

The 'winter break' set of fixtures and their corresponding results from last season:

Everton v Crystal Palace (home win)

Brighton v Watford (draw)

Sheffield United v Bournemouth (N/A)

Man City v West Ham (home win)

Wolves v Leicester (home win)

Southampton v Burnley (draw)

Norwich v Liverpool (N/A)

Aston Villa v Tottenham (N/A)

Arsenal v Newcastle (home win)

Chelsea v Man Utd (draw)

The first two results from this weekend have been repeated. With the Man City - West Ham game postponed for now, no change will come until next weekend. Burnley and Leicester both have a chance to extend their lead over the rest of the pack. A defeat for Burnley though would see Leicester at least draw level with them again. At the bottom, Spurs can't improve this week, but a shock defeat for Man City at home to West Ham would send Pep's men bottom. Newcastle have the chance to move back into the top three if they can get a results at Arsenal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Into the final third of the season now, here are the updated standings:

Burnley +15

Leicester +13

Everton +8

Newcastle +7

Liverpool +6

Brighton +4

Crystal Palace +0

Bournemouth -1

Man Utd -2

Southampton -3

Chelsea -5

Wolves / Watford / West Ham -6

Arsenal -8

Man City -11

Tottenham -13

- No changes for Bournemouth, Liverpool or Spurs as a result of facing newly-promoted sides.

- Everton, Man City and Arsenal repeat home wins over Crystal Palace, West Ham and Newcastle respectively, meaning that these sides are also unchanged. The same applies to Brighton or Watford after they shared the spoils again at the Amex.

- Leicester managed to add an extra point to their differential score in the first of three results to show a difference from last season, their stalemate at Molyneux not enough to restore them to top spot though.

- Burnley extend their lead in top spot by a further point, with an impressive win at Southampton yielding them a two-point upgrade compared to last season.

- Man Utd's victory at Chelsea replaces a draw from last season. Solskjaer's men are now edging closer to the break-even point, while Lampard's Blues slip closer to the bottom.

• Subscriber

Our 27th set of fixtures for the season and their corresponding results from last campaign:

Chelsea vs Tottenham (home win) - an opportunity for Tottenham to potentially climb off the bottom at last with up to three points of improvement available.

Burnley vs Bournemouth (home win) - pressure on leaders Burnley to repeat last season's win and maintain their score of +15. A draw would be enough to see Bournemouth out of the negatives.

Crystal Palace vs Newcastle (draw) - sure to be a blockbuster clash here, with both teams looking to improve on last season's riveting 0-0 draw.

Sheffield United vs Brighton (N/A) - Brighton will remain on a healthy +4 for another weekend.

Southampton vs Aston Villa (N/A) - no opportunity for Saints to make any headway this weekend.

Leicester vs Man City (home win) - :pressure on Leicester here to maintain their +13 and keep Burnley in sight. Man City will be looking at this as a chance to improve on their dismal -11.

Man Utd vs Watford (home win) - United look to maintain their recently improved score of -2. A surprise away win here would see Watford leapfrog their opponents with a full 3-point swing.

Wolves vs Norwich (N/A) - newly-promoted opponents consign Wolves to a surprisingly poor -6 for the time being.

Arsenal vs Everton (home win) - anything but a win here will see Arsenal looking over their shoulders as Man City and Spurs both have the opportunity to improve this week. A win for Everton would see them join the exclusive club of teams with positive double figures.

Liverpool vs West Ham (home win) - Liverpool will look to maintain their +6 with a routine win here. Is it worth even typing out what happens in the event of a draw or West Ham win? I think not. The Hammers could gain positions in the standings this week if other results go their way, so there's always that.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Liverpool are on +8 following the win against West Ham in the game in hand the other week. West Ham should be -7

Cheers. As it was just the one game I must have just got the thread updated and forgotten to update the spreadsheet.

• Subscriber

Not many changes this week:

Burnley +15

Leicester +10

Everton / Liverpool +8

Newcastle +6

Brighton +4

Crystal Palace +2

Bournemouth -1

Man Utd -2

Southampton -3

Chelsea -5

Wolves / Watford -6

West Ham -7

Arsenal / Man City -8

Tottenham -13

- Promoted opponents for Brighton, Southampton and Wolves see them stay where they are this week.

- The majority of results are repeats from last season, meaning that all of the teams involved stay on the same score as before. These include Chelsea beating Tottenham, Burnley beating Bournemouth, Man Utd beating Watford, Arsenal beating Everton and (let's be honest) Liverpool beating West Ham.

- That leaves us just two fixtures in which there was a swing compared to last season. I promised fireworks between Crystal Palace and Newcastle this weekend and the home side's win gains them two points, lifting them above the break even point once again, and drags Newcastle down to a score of +6.

- The only three point swing of the weekend goes to Man City, who had a rare opportunity to improve following their loss at Leicester last season. This allows them to draw level with Arsenal on -8 with Spurs cut further adrift below them. Leicester's three point deduction sees them lose significant ground to Burnley at the top of the standings.

• Subscriber

Next weekend:

Norwich vs Leicester (N/A)

Brighton vs Crystal Palace (home win)

Bournemouth vs Chelsea (home win)

Newcastle vs Burnley (home win)

West Ham vs Southampton (home win)

Watford vs Liverpool (away win)

Everton vs Man United (home win)

Tottenham vs Wolves (away win)

Sheffield United vs Aston Villa and Man City vs Arsenal are postponed next weekend due to the League Cup final.

With Leicester guaranteed to stay on +10 for another week and Everton and Liverpool also unable to improve on their +8s, Burnley will lead by at least 5 points following next weekend's fixtures and could extend this gap if they can get a result at Newcastle. Tottenham have a chance to keep the teams ahead of them in sight by overturning last season's home defeat to Wolves. Aside from those games, it looks like more of the same in mid-table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Updated Standings:

Burnley +16

Leicester +10

Everton +6

Liverpool / Crystal Palace +5

Newcastle +4

Brighton +1

Man Utd -1

Bournemouth / Southampton / Watford -3

Chelsea -4

Wolves -6

West Ham -7

Arsenal / Man City -8

Tottenham -13

- No changes for Man City and Arsenal due to their delayed fixtures.

- Leicester take no damage from their disappointing Norwich defeat on Friday in the absence of a fixture from last season to compare to. The Foxes lose more ground to Burnley but see their second position consolidated anyway due to results elsewhere.

- Crystal Palace take a delightful +3 from their visit to rivals Brighton, inflicting 3 points of damage to their rivals and overtaking them in these standings in the process.

- Bournemouth are unable to repeat last season's win over Chelsea and therefore lose two points, dropping to -3. Lampard's men gain a point and are one point behind the trio on -3.

- Newcastle slip further from the top as they fail to repeat last season's success over Burnley. Another point gained for Dyche's men allows them to extend their lead over the chasing pack to 6 points.

- West Ham's home win over Southampton is one of just two repeated results this weekend. Both sides unchanged on negative scores.

- Liverpool's first defeat of the season sees them docked three points at Vicarage Road. Hosts Watford gain 3 points and could finally break even in the coming weeks having been cut adrift at the bottom months ago.

- Merseyside rivals Everton also take a hit this week, failing to beat Man Utd again at Goodison Park. The visitors gain a point and are now just one below the break even point.

- Spurs lose a golden opportunity to improve on their -13 and move closer to the teams ahead. Wolves second consecutive away win at Tottenham still only sees them retain their surprisingly poor differential of -6 for another week.

• Subscriber

Next week's fixtures:

Liverpool v Bournemouth (home win)

Arsenal v West Ham (home win)

Crystal Palace v Watford (away win)

Sheffield United v Norwich (N/A)

Southampton v Newcastle (draw)

Wolves v Brighton (draw)

Burnley v Tottenham (home win)

Chelsea v Everton (draw)

Man United v Man City (away win)

Leicester v Aston Villa (N/A)

Leaders Burnley face a challenge not to lose points with last season's win over Tottenham hanging over them. Leicester will hope for Spurs to take the chance this time to improve on their -13 to give them a chance at reclaiming top spot, while they face another newly-promoted opponent themselves. Liverpool are unable to improve this week but you'd expect them to retain their +5 with another win over Bournemouth. Everton and Crystal Palace can both close the gap on the leaders if they can turn results from last season into victories this time around. A home win in the Manchester derby could send Solskjaer's men move back to a positive differential. Man City and Arsenal are both at risk of slipping to the bottom of the table with a poor result this weekend and a win for Spurs at Burnley.

• Subscriber

We need this win and I think we'll get it too. More than the win we need to start looking cohesive as a team because it looks a bit disjointed right now. City are the other team who need to keep winning now and its an opportune time for United to be hosting them at home too. Think it will end in a United win and that will keep them at bay. 

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

So there were quite a few changes from that last set of fixtures.

Standings:

Burnley +14

Leicester +10

Crystal Palace +8

Newcastle +6

Everton / Liverpool +5

Man Utd +2

Brighton +1

Chelsea -2

Bournemouth -3

Southampton -4

Watford / Wolves -6

West Ham -7

Arsenal -8

Man City -11

Tottenham -12

- Liverpool and Arsenal's home wins against Bournemouth and West Ham respectively were repeats from last season and means all four sides are left with an unchanged differential. The same applies to Wolves and Brighton who played out a draw at Molineux for the second year running.

- Burnley saw their lead chopped by 2 points as they could only muster up a draw against Tottenham, as opposed to their win at Turf Moor last season. Leicester remain on +10 having played Aston Villa last time out.

- Newcastle's win at Southampton improves on their draw from last season and moves them up to 4th place. Saints lose their parity with Bournemouth as their differential falls by 1 point.

- Crystal Palace also moved up the standings with a 3-point swing in their favour, a 1-0 win over Watford replacing a home defeat from last season. The Hornets are now level with Wolves on -6.

- Man Utd were the other team to benefit from a 3-point swing this weekend, their derby win at Old Trafford allowing them to move to a positive score of +2. With Man City taking a 3 point hit and Spurs gaining a point below them, Guardiola's men are now just one point away from falling to dead last.

- Everton drop from 3rd to joint 5th after a damaging 4-0 loss at Stamford Bridge, where they picked up a point last season. Chelsea gain 2 points and edge back towards the breakeven point, overtaking Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth in the process.

I'll do my best to keep this updated for the rest of the season but with football on nearly every day it's going to be difficult to do it neatly between each set of fixtures. Here are last season's results for the next set of games including the two games in hand that are kicking off the restart.

Aston Villa vs Sheff Utd (N/A)

Man City vs Arsenal (home win)

Norwich vs Southampton (N/A)

Tottenham vs Man United (away win)

Watford vs Leicester (home win)

Brighton vs Arsenal (draw)

West Ham vs Wolves (away win)

Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace (home win)

Newcastle vs Sheff Utd (N/A)

Aston Villa vs Chelsea (N/A)

Everton vs Liverpool (draw)

Man City vs Burnley (home win)

At the top: Burnley have nothing to lose going to Man City and will come out, at worst, still on +14. Leicester have a decent chance to close the gap as they travel to Watford having come away empty-handed last season. Crystal Palace also have a clean slate and would benefit from any result at Bournemouth. Newcastle have a week off as far as the differential tracker is concerned while the Merseyside derby is the very definition of a six pointer here with Everton and Liverpool tied on +5 and last season's benchmark a draw.

At the bottom: Man City feature twice this week and anything but a repeat of last season's two home wins will see them drop to the bottom of the pile. Spurs can at least draw level with Man City by drawing with rivals Man Utd whereas a win for Mourinho's men would move them off the bottom regardless of Man City's results. A classic clash in the Guardiola vs Mourinho narrative brewing here as both managerial heavyweights scrap to escape the bottom of the barrel. Third from bottom Arsenal have a chance to put some distance between themselves and the mess behind them, with anything more than 1 point from their visits to Man City and Brighton marking an improvement on last season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

A mega update here:

Aston Villa 0-0 Sheffield United (no change)

Man City 3-0 Arsenal (no change)

Norwich 0-3 Southampton (no change)

Tottenham 1-1 Man Utd (+1 for Tottenham, -2 for Man Utd)

Watford 1-1 Leicester (+1 for Leicester, -2 for Watford)

Brighton 2-1 Arsenal (+2 for Brighton, -1 for Arsenal)

West Ham 0-2 Wolves (no change)

Bournemouth 0-2 Crystal Palace (+3 for Crystal Palace, -3 for Bournemouth)

Newcastle 3-0 Sheffield United (no change)

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea (no change)

Everton 0-0 Liverpool (no change)

Man City 5-0 Burnley (no change)

Standings as of 23 June:

Burnley +14

Leicester / Crystal Palace +11

Newcastle +6

Everton / Liverpool +5

Brighton +3

Manchester United +0

Chelsea -2

Southampton -4

Bournemouth / Wolves -6

West Ham -7

Watford -8

Arsenal -9

Man City / Tottenham -11

The headlines here: Leicester and Crystal Palace gains put them just 3 points behind Burnley. Manchester United slip back to the breakeven point. Spurs +1 sucks Man City down to second from bottom while Arsenal slip dangerously close to the bottom of the ladder with defeat at Brighton.

Archived