talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Next For Daniel Sturridge?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should leave as it doesn't seem to be just a case of him not being first choice but Klopp just doesn't seem to want him at all. He shouldn't go that far down the table though, somewhere like Southampton would be good. I'd say Everton is actually the most ideal, playing in a 2 up front with Lukaku would be lethal but not sure if he'd want to upset the Liverpool fans by joining Everton.

If Sturridge is fit and on his game then he really is a class act, but....... 

I think he's played his last game for us. Klopp doesn't seem keen on him even when fit so it's inevitably he'll be off this summer. 

Its going to be a gamble for whoever signs Sturridge due to his horrendous injury record and probably an expensive one too. If we were to have sold Sturridge pre-Suarez then we'd probably have got around £40m but all things considered it will probably be around half that now, at best. 

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

He should leave as it doesn't seem to be just a case of him not being first choice but Klopp just doesn't seem to want him at all. He shouldn't go that far down the table though, somewhere like Southampton would be good. I'd say Everton is actually the most ideal, playing in a 2 up front with Lukaku would be lethal but not sure if he'd want to upset the Liverpool fans by joining Everton.

He's never really seemed to warm to the club or the fans (the reverse is also true) so I can't imagine he'd give a shit. I don't think we'd sell to Everton, though.

If we are to sell him, and I definitely think we should, we'll have to do it very cheaply as I can't see anyone being too keen to take a chance on him. Assuming he's able to play regularly, which is a massive if, he's not a hard worker, god knows what level he's capable of playing at these days, and he's on a lot of money.

In short, we should (and will) try to sell him, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're unsuccessful.

There'll always be a few managers/clubs out there that think they can get a player injury free. 

I think for someone as talented as Sturridge it's a risk willing to take at a reasonable price. 

I think Newcastle would be a chance worth taking. 

Big club and the fans would love him and as I say, if he can stay fit then he garauntees 10-20 goals a season which would ensure safety. 

I can actually see Sturridge in the black and white of Newcastle. 

Someone will take the chance on him in the hope that Sturridge can stay fit for three or four months at a time and that will coincide with a particularly purple patch for Sturridge in front of goal. 

His pace is gone now and he looks a shell of the player that had that great spell for Liverpool. I wonder if Liverpool might look to loan him out, in a similar way Arsenal have done with Jack Wilshere?

If I supported a Premier League team, I wouldn't my team to sign him but I'm sure a club would take a punt on him. 

I have always liked him, strange because I don't typically like players of his mould. He did very well for us and the type of football and team we had back then under AVB suited him, it was very attacking, with the likes of Mata in and around him, it's similar to how the conditions seemed to suit him under Brendan Rodgers.

He needs to move. Always strikes me how players can be so injury prone especially with the level of care they have access to. I've personally struggled with injuries and playing football over the years and I've only recently discovered how to prevent, manage and cure them so to speak after seeing a very good physio and I'm simplifying things here xD but the key is constant stretching. It just amazes me how professional footballers with the high expertise in and around them can have a injury record like Sturridge's.  It would interest me to see what else Sturridge is doing to stop these injuries or maybe there's something else going on? I remember there was big rumours about Wilshere, people said he was/is a coke head and that's why he was/is constantly injured all the time at Arsenal. Things were being covered up.

If fit, Sturridge is a decent impact sub for England I feel.

Even as a Liverpool fan that's loved him since the start i agree its time to leave. He has been so regularly injured that youve got no idea when you'll see him on the team sheet. Cant be relied on to play more than 10 games a year or play consistently enough to find form but still on his day right up there with the best in the league.

What other players fit that mould?

What clubs fit the mould for signing that type of player?

For me it should be relegation candidates and not Newcastle whip should be aiming to be more sustainable and get more consistent players.... 

I have been following football for almost half a century and young Daniel would make my top 5 of players who have problems between their ears.

I wonderfully gifted player with a almost wand like left foot and for me painfully one sided. Ok his right has improved from the time he turned up at Chelsea, but he still runs around it more often than not.

Obviously his best seasons offering was playing alongside one of the worlds current best players in Suarez, a level we have failed to see him find since.

Does he need a change of club? I think he needs a change of manager as I dont think his current has been sold on him at anytime he has been the manager of the club.

Back to between his ears. He falls into the section of players that need to be loved. Told constantly how wonderful they are and how the club needs him to perform so they can win. I heard many different stories about him while at Chelsea, and they all really state the same. His constant injuries are not all physical. RDM soon offloaded him and while he has had one great season at Liverpool, I havent heard many stating the club made a mistake moving him on.

How about him teaming up again with the one manager who believed in him, Rodgers up at Celtic? He would get a splash of CL football and be playing at a level where he can regain the much needed confidence obviously missing just now. Rodgers made him feel important and surly he would score a hat full of goals up there?

Whatever happens to him in Football in the future I hope it puts a smile on his face again. Nice lad, just needs a constant arm around him.

46 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

I have been following football for almost half a century and young Daniel would make my top 5 of players who have problems between their ears.

I wonderfully gifted player with a almost wand like left foot and for me painfully one sided. Ok his right has improved from the time he turned up at Chelsea, but he still runs around it more often than not.

Obviously his best seasons offering was playing alongside one of the worlds current best players in Suarez, a level we have failed to see him find since.

Does he need a change of club? I think he needs a change of manager as I dont think his current has been sold on him at anytime he has been the manager of the club.

Back to between his ears. He falls into the section of players that need to be loved. Told constantly how wonderful they are and how the club needs him to perform so they can win. I heard many different stories about him while at Chelsea, and they all really state the same. His constant injuries are not all physical. RDM soon offloaded him and while he has had one great season at Liverpool, I havent heard many stating the club made a mistake moving him on.

How about him teaming up again with the one manager who believed in him, Rodgers up at Celtic? He would get a splash of CL football and be playing at a level where he can regain the much needed confidence obviously missing just now. Rodgers made him feel important and surly he would score a hat full of goals up there?

Whatever happens to him in Football in the future I hope it puts a smile on his face again. Nice lad, just needs a constant arm around him.

I like him as a player but I wouldn't take him at Celtic. We have forwards who score hatfuls of goals already. Plus, in the CL we need all hands on deck pressing to have any chance against the most sides, and Sturridge  doesn't have the physicality of Dembele or Griffiths' work rate.

Add on the fact that he'd need to be on wages a good bit higher than anyone we have right now, plus there's not going to be much sell-on value with him, and it doesn't make sense from the club's perspective. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I like him as a player but I wouldn't take him at Celtic. We have forwards who score hatfuls of goals already. Plus, in the CL we need all hands on deck pressing to have any chance against the most sides, and Sturridge  doesn't have the physicality of Dembele or Griffiths' work rate.

Add on the fact that he'd need to be on wages a good bit higher than anyone we have right now, plus there's not going to be much sell-on value with him, and it doesn't make sense from the club's perspective. 

You make some good points, although you are speaking as thou those forwards you mention will be with you next season. I think you will lose at least one.

Yes, money for him and his wages are difficult for you, but when you listen to Rodgers, he talks as thou Sturridge is the level of player Celtic should be aiming for?

Would the fee you get for Dembele be much different than for Sturridge?

He might be the level of player that Celtic will aspire to, but they aren't going to want a player with such a chronic injury record.

Dembele's next transfer fee will be more than Sturridge's next transfer. Not least because of the difference in age and future potential.

2 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

I think even Rodgers had given up on him by the end, hence going all in on Benteke. One could argue that Sturridge's unreliability played a big part in getting Rodgers sacked by Liverpool, as our post-Suarez season wouldn't have been half as disastrous if we'd had a competent striker in the team, so I can't see Rodgers wanting to go through all that again.

Also, not really relevant to the point, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that he's one-sided. I actually think he's one of the more ambidextrous strikers you'll see these days.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Hope he goes to West Ham, it'll be fucking hilarious when they put all of their eggs in one basket with him and then he goes out for six months with an ACL.

You could see it happening as well. It would be a typical West Ham signing and I don't mean that in a good way. A hell of a lot of pounds per minute of playing.

Sturridge has quality but I'll be surprised if he's ever at his 2013/14 form again.

38 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

He might be the level of player that Celtic will aspire to, but they aren't going to want a player with such a chronic injury record.

Dembele's next transfer fee will be more than Sturridge's next transfer. Not least because of the difference in age and future potential.

This was my thinking with Inverted, Dembele's money would enable Celtic to afford Sturridge. It's not like he would stay there for long. He would score a hat-full of goals helping Celtic stay on top up there and Celtic would re-coop their outlay from some English club with TV money on the hip.

Archived