Grimsby v Macclesfield
Preston v Hull
Rochdale v Carlisle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber

My nerdy spreadsheet I have of all of the matches I've ever been to (well, the ones I kept stubs for and managed to enter into the spreadsheet) informs me that I'm watching my first ever League cup match tonight at Blundell Park. Weird. I was certain I'd been to a league cup match before!

• Administrator

Strong squad for us tonight. Brendan means business!

Kasper

Ricardo - Morgan - Soyuncu - Fuchs

Choudhury

Barnes - Tielemans - Maddison - Perez

Vardy

Could go in to 4-3-3 with Barnez & Perez pressing on with Vardy.

• Subscriber

No Davies even on the bench. Disappointing and don't really know what's going on there. Given the armband on occasion last season but now played 20 minutes in the league since Jan/Feb apparently and not even in the 18 man squad tonight.

Chance for Iwobi and Kean to secure starting spots for Sunday against Wolves. Need to see better from Sigurdsson and Richarlison tonight or I'd happily see one of them dropped for Bernard to come back in at the weekend.

• Subscriber

That XI is a fucking great effort. That is so much more like it.

Be absolutely typical if we went and lost it after this but that's a proper line-up from us in a cup game. We fancy a go.

A thing on TalkSport earlier about clubs resting players so early on in the season and whether it’s good, bad etc. 

Personally now think it’s probably time to bin the League Cup. With the travel top Premier League players do with European Football and International Football throughout a season, some teams playing near on 60 games a year, the pre-season tours clubs go on and the general interest levels in the competition from clubs, the media and fans, it’s probably time player welfare gets addressed and we do something good for the game. 

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

A thing on TalkSport earlier about clubs resting players so early on in the season and whether it’s good, bad etc. 

Personally now think it’s probably time to bin the League Cup. With the travel top Premier League players do with European Football and International Football throughout a season, some teams playing near on 60 games a year, the pre-season tours clubs go on and the general interest levels in the competition from clubs, the media and fans, it’s probably time player welfare gets addressed and we do something good for the game. 

Bin it and start the FA Cup earlier and spread it out a bit more. The FA Cup third round and the League Cup semis starting in January is too much after a busy period around Christmas

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bin it and start the FA Cup earlier and spread it out a bit more. The FA Cup third round and the League Cup semis starting in January is too much after a busy period around Christmas

Probably quite hard to start it much earlier given the six qualifying rounds start in August as it is. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Probably quite hard to start it much earlier given the six qualifying rounds start in August as it is. 

Good point. This might not be popular but the final could be a bit earlier in the season and the qualifying rounds for the following seasons competition could start towards the end of that season. Gives teams lower down the pyramid something to play for later in the season. I'm not sure how that would work with promotions and relegations though in terms who starts in what qualifying roundxD just an idea

• The topic was unpinned

Archived