talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Second Round Matches

football forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of the few EFL team fans I think who wished we took this seriously, god knows we are going absolutely nowhere in the league this year, might as well try our hand at actually having something to go for. You never really know what's going to happen - look at the last eight of the FA Cup last year or the Swansea vs Bradford a few seasons ago. My favourite memory as a Rover (yes, I was too young to remember 1995!) is us lifting the 2002 League Cup. 

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bin it and start the FA Cup earlier and spread it out a bit more. The FA Cup third round and the League Cup semis starting in January is too much after a busy period around Christmas

Not much you can do with the FA Cup, 700-odd entrants and already two rounds down; playing roughly every three weekends from August until the end of November. Just as bigger teams get shafted by the run of matches, you can't really shove much more this side of Christmas onto the smaller teams with their density of league and cup matches and replays too. Suppose you could do what the Scottish did with the League Cup and essentially get it to replace pre-season friendlies and shift the rest of it forward but I can imagine that going down like a led balloon at non-league level; I'm fairly certain a decent FA Cup run is what keeps most of them going.

Edit - see Smiley got there before me!

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Not sure what Sigurdsson was playing at there

Or Pickford. Absolutely no reason for a keeper to go to the other end and have a few words. What's the point xD

Obviously few Lincoln players doing their bit too. 

• Subscriber

Pleased with that. Was a nervy affair at times but probably better for us in the end to see Sigurdsson, Iwobi and Richarlison open their accounts for the season and hopefully take that momentum into the next few home games. Its League One opposition but we finally looked more purposeful, willing to take players on instead of passing sideways to the full backs all the time in the final third.

Dont think Coleman or Mina will have their places threatened by Sidibe or Holgate based on that performance. Hope Kean starts on Sunday.

• Administrator

A win on penalties but a poor and slow game again. Newcastle's style seems to be sit back and break. We find it hard to break such teams down. 

Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans penalties very good. Kasper saved from Hayden and Shelvey. 

• Subscriber

I can only go off a few comments and limited highlights. Happy with the progression but there's something really missing from us at the minute. We're really quite dull to watch.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived