talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 2-0 Everton - Friday 23rd August, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Spent most of the evening browsing Twitter for "Everton that" memes for when we lose 2-0.

One change as Gbamin (injured) is replaced by Schneiderlin who returns from suspension.

D0WnIQyX0Ac4MLM.thumb.jpg.36c0872b351ff63cfa7718dfbe743897.jpg

At least one of the last three hours wasn't an entire waste of my time that made me want to neck a pint of bleach.

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 2-0 Everton - Friday 23rd August, 2019
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

In fairness Everton never looked under threat. Proper smash and grab job from villa. Everton's worries are far further forward. I don't see how they're going to break teams down. 

Five away wins under Silva (three of which were against the relegated sides last season), five clean sheets in that time and 27 goals suggests they’re not very good a) away from home and b) defensively. 

That’s on top of Silva’s record at Watford and Hull. 

While they may have looked under less pressure the inability to defend counter attacks has to be a worry.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Thought it was an Italian song that Napoli sang originally but I’ve heard loads of Spanish, Portuguese teams sing it. We do have the facility to see outside of England Artful 

I heard it a lot at Atletico away. Sounded superb.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hard to be when your team is coached by Marco Silva, whose sides have a hideous away record and show no signs of being able to defend competently. 

After moving on from the abuse aimed at Raheem Sterling, it seems Pickford has become this country’s English scapegoat and I’m sure he’ll be chastised by the media in tomorrow’s papers. 

10 clean sheets in the last 13 games and only City have more clean sheets than us in 2019 by one, but yeah you're probably right.

This was just one of those nights I'm afraid. Everything was set up for Villa to win with it being a home game, televised evening match with the place rocking. There was a proper 'cup final' vibe with Heaton and his defence high-fiving every cross they dealt with, not to be patronising at all, because any newly-promoted side is the same searching for that first win.

Some absolutely rotten performances on our side. Gomes worst game in an Everton shirt by far, giving the ball away everywhere, Sigurdsson not effective at all and the deeper two in midfield too far away from him. Richarlison isn't sharp after a limited pre season and shouldn't be starting but then again when Walcott is the alternative I'd play Richarlison with a broken angle. Calvert-Lewin not taking his chance either. He had a purple patch last season and he still has potential but Kean looks ready to start and needs to do so in the next game.

Could easily have been very different there with Iwobi hitting the post and Walcott being a fucking massive cunt and missing an open goal. Villa weren't good value for a second goal but they did deserve to win.

Attackers need to find form soon. If Kean and Iwobi are going to be first choice they need to start the next game and start building relationships with their team mates as soon as possible because the players who ended last season in the starting lineup aren't exactly locking down those positions.

Tonight wasn't good enough but overall I've not seen anything to massively affect my feelings towards this season. Fancy Villa to do the same to a couple of better sides than us here this season, they almost did it to Spurs and today showed they clearly learnt their lessons from how that game finished.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

10 clean sheets in the last 13 games and only City have more clean sheets than us in 2019 by one, but yeah you're probably right.

This was just one of those nights I'm afraid. Everything was set up for Villa to win with it being a home game, televised evening match with the place rocking. There was a proper 'cup final' vibe with Heaton and his defence high-fiving every cross they dealt with, not to be patronising at all, because any newly-promoted side is the same searching for that first win.

Some absolutely rotten performances on our side. Gomes worst game in an Everton shirt by far, giving the ball away everywhere, Sigurdsson not effective at all and the deeper two in midfield too far away from him. Richarlison isn't sharp after a limited pre season and shouldn't be starting but then again when Walcott is the alternative I'd play Richarlison with a broken angle. Calvert-Lewin not taking his chance either. He had a purple patch last season and he still has potential but Kean looks ready to start and needs to do so in the next game.

Could easily have been very different there with Iwobi hitting the post and Walcott being a fucking massive cunt and missing an open goal. Villa weren't good value for a second goal but they did deserve to win.

Attackers need to find form soon. If Kean and Iwobi are going to be first choice they need to start the next game and start building relationships with their team mates as soon as possible because the players who ended last season in the starting lineup aren't exactly locking down those positions.

Tonight wasn't good enough but overall I've not seen anything to massively affect my feelings towards this season. Fancy Villa to do the same to a couple of better sides than us here this season, they almost did it to Spurs and today showed they clearly learnt their lessons from how that game finished.

Five away wins in a year. Five. Three of which were against the relegated sides from last season’s Premier League but yeah, use a loaded statistic from last season to make yourselves sound great when in reality, your away form is atrocious for a side with genuine ambitions for European Football. I’m not really bothered by your home form, it’s good but you’ll achieve nothing with Away form that’s relegation standard.

No mention of failing to score away in 3 of your last 4 Premier League Away game or failing to score in 8/19 away games last year though. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Five away wins in a year. Five. Three of which were against the relegated sides from last season’s Premier League but yeah, use a loaded statistic from last season to make yourselves sound great when in reality, your away form is atrocious for a side with genuine ambitions for European Football. I’m not really bothered by your home form, it’s good but you’ll achieve nothing with Away form that’s relegation standard.

No mention of failing to score away in 3 of your last 4 Premier League Away game or failing to score in 8/19 away games last year though. 

Five away wins isn't as horrendous as you're making out and certainly isn't relegation form. Defence certainly isn't Everton's biggest issue and it's pretty lazy to say it is. You've been making the same point since Silva took over and haven't adapted to circumstances which have changed. 

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

I heard it a lot at Atletico away. Sounded superb.

It’s who I associated with it mostly tbh. 

Very happy with the result, I think we’ll be alright I fancy us to just get that little bit better each game until we settle. We got nervous at times and sat deep and invited pressure, unwanted stats put to bed and points gets that monkey off their backs onwards now to mid table 😂

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

I didn't argue with the poor away form point though did I?

Loaded statistic? Is that what you call facts these days? Every time we concede a goal you seem to be in our match threads blaming it on Silvas defensive record yet nowhere to be seen when we keep a clean sheet.

Some more loaded statistics for you:

The last opposition player to score at Goodison was Gabriel Jesus in February. We kept four consecutive clean sheets after that against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. 10 clean sheets in 13 games before tonight. Only side not to concede in the first two games this season. Only City have kept more clean sheets than us since 1 January. Only City have conceded fewer goals than us in open play since the end of January.

But yes, feel free to stick to your opinion that Silva can't organise a defence based on tonight which I'm 100% certain is the first time you've watched us this season and probably going pretty far back into last season as well and ignore all of the facts/loaded statistics I have provided you to the contrary.

Defence isn't our issue, scoring one goal in three games against Palace, Watford and Aston Villa is the problem.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Five away wins isn't as horrendous as you're making out and certainly isn't relegation form. Defence certainly isn't Everton's biggest issue and it's pretty lazy to say it is. You've been making the same point since Silva took over and haven't adapted to circumstances which have changed. 

Given it’s Everton, the money you’ve chucked at it over the past couple of years since he’s been at the club (it’s got to be £100m+), the expectation and the fact three of the five wins were against the worst three sides in the competition last year, horrendous is probably being kind. Five away wins was the lowest in last season’s top half and nowhere near good enough for Everton given what I’ve listed above, IMO.

Defence is obviously an issue. Silva’s record at Hull, Watford and Everton suggests so. Especially away from home. He seemingly fails to adapt to playing away from home and five wins and a negative goal difference at Everton on the road last season suggests it’s another poor spell in his managerial career in England in Away games. 

I’ve not cited anywhere that Everton’s biggest issue is defence. Away form is a bigger issue than defence as a whole, as Silva is quite good at home, which, personally, I think is saving him from a lot more stick than he gets/deserves. 

Let's be fair. Everton had great chances tonight.

Calvert-Lewin, should score. Not clinical enough.

Iwobi, hit post. Just unlucky.

Walcott, should score. Absolute abomination of a player.

Everton score and it's a different game. You have to take your chances or you get punished. Chances fell to the wrong men.

Villa done them on the counter twice and were clinical. Simple really. They deserved it for digging deep. The game passed Everton by.

Doesn't need Einstein to identify the weakness.

Hopefully for them Kean starts next game. He looks a handful where as Calvert-Lewin looks like someone you could hold hands with for 90mins.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I didn't argue with the poor away form point though did I?

Loaded statistic? Is that what you call facts these days? Every time we concede a goal you seem to be in our match threads blaming it on Silvas defensive record yet nowhere to be seen when we keep a clean sheet.

Some more loaded statistics for you:

The last opposition player to score at Goodison was Gabriel Jesus in February. We kept four consecutive clean sheets after that against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. 10 clean sheets in 13 games before tonight. Only side not to concede in the first two games this season. Only City have kept more clean sheets than us since 1 January. Only City have conceded fewer goals than us in open play since the end of January.

But yes, feel free to stick to your opinion that Silva can't organise a defence based on tonight which I'm 100% certain is the first time you've watched us this season and probably going pretty far back into last season as well and ignore all of the facts/loaded statistics I have provided you to the contrary.

Defence isn't our issue, scoring one goal in three games against Palace, Watford and Aston Villa is the problem.

Cool, Goodison’s great and you don’t concede goals there. Fine. Never said you did. I specifically stated your away form is shocking (it is) and you’ll achieve nothing if the same continues (which it’s likely to given Silva’s away form at Hull, Watford and his first year at Everton). 

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Let's be fair. Everton had great chances tonight.

Calvert-Lewin, should score. Not clinical enough.

Iwobi, hit post. Just unlucky.

Walcott, should score. Absolute abomination of a player.

Everton score and it's a different game. You have to take your chances or you get punished. Chances fell to the wrong men.

Villa done them on the counter twice and were clinical. Simple really. They deserved it for digging deep. The game passed Everton by.

Doesn't need Einstein to identify the weakness.

Hopefully for them Kean starts next game. He looks a handful where as Calvert-Lewin looks like someone you could hold hands with for 90mins.

Thought they were poor second half until they changed, this guy isn’t premier league standard I reckon he’d struggle in the top half of the championship 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cool, Goodison’s great and you don’t concede goals there. Fine. Never said you did. I specifically stated your away form is shocking (it is) and you’ll achieve nothing if the same continues (which it’s likely to given Silva’s away form at Hull, Watford and his first year at Everton). 

I agree with you on the away form. It's been very poor for as long as I can remember really. Moyes's Everton was built on the Goodison fortress and pick up what you can on the road. Martinez's fluke season brought some better results on the road then home and away was random as fuck for two seasons after that. Under Koeman we went an entire year near enough without an away win, until Allardyce took over and we got away wins at Newcastle (1-0 got battered most of the game), Huddersfield (think 1-0 again) and Stoke who had ten men and ended up going down. It's probably a mentality issue that needs to be rectified.

Five away wins in a season is actually an improvement but it's certainly not enough to be challenging the top six so clearly this is an area we need to improve if that's our aim. Tonight wasn't good enough from too many key players like Gomes and Richarlison who are in the perfect place now to prove they're among that calibre of player who play in Europe every season. At our best we're a fantastic side who could challenge the top six if we play like that for most of the season, but more likely we'll blow hot and cold again. If we're as cold as tonight too often, we will finish about 9th. I personally don't deem this season a failure if we don't challenge the top six. An incremental improvement each season is fine.

I'm reserving judgement for a while anyway. Tonight's team was last season's team without Zouma and Gueye and things could still have gone differently.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hard to be when your team is coached by Marco Silva, whose sides have a hideous away record and show no signs of being able to defend competently. 

After moving on from the abuse aimed at Raheem Sterling, it seems Pickford has become this country’s English scapegoat and I’m sure he’ll be chastised by the media in tomorrow’s papers. 

It was a poor goal to concede regardless of media agendas 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

It was a poor goal to concede regardless of media agendas 

It's not the best but harsh to blame the goalkeeper when a guy gets basically an unmarked attempt at goal from inside the six yard box. Gomes much more at fault for El Ghazi passing him as if he's not there.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not the best but harsh to blame the goalkeeper when a guy gets basically an unmarked attempt at goal from inside the six yard box. Gomes much more at fault for El Ghazi passing him as if he's not there.

100% Gomes was woeful tonight

Hearing Iwobi played well when he came on. Involved in the play in the box and outside the box as well. Hope Marco Silva can starts him in Eveton's next game. Surprised neither him or Moise Kean have been playing a bigger role so far but I'm sure there's a reason for that.

7 hours ago, Panna King said:

Please for Anwar El Ghazi who is an extremely talented player but had a poor attitude in the past, I hope he can knuckle down and show his pure potential as he could go a long way in football.

Was dropped to start as he’s been poor so far but much better when he came on dropping him has done him some good

4 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Was dropped to start as he’s been poor so far but much better when he came on dropping him has done him some good

Yeah he needs a kick on the ass sometimes, he was outstanding at for Ajax but then was poor in training so that led to the coach getting rid of him.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived