talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal - Saturday 24th August, 2019

football forum

I think they genuinely seemed alright first half. They didn't have much to offer going forward but they defended well and denied Liverpool any clear chances for quite a long time. 

But then they started slowly, went 2-0 down and collapsed completely, until Liverpool took their foot off the gas at 3-0 with 10 minutes to go. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are still discovering our best team and Liverpool are absolutely elite, not to mention we are missing 3 of our first XI back 5. Was always going to be a mountain this early into the season. Wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool are champions this team is at its peak. 

22 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Thought this might have been a bit more even but sounds like Liverpool walked it.. 

When was the last time it was close against Arsenal at Anfield? Klopp's first season i think, 3-3. We've battered them every time since

Not surprised by this result and was expecting it which is why I’m not disappointed. Infact there are various positives to take from it with Pépé and Wilcock today. We have to be patient and we aren’t in the same league ad Liverpool right now. Too many things would’ve had to have aligned themselves to come out with a positive result.

• Subscriber

Willock impressed me today. Pepe will be a good player for Arsenal. Aubameyang and Lacazette seem to love playing non-top 6 sides. What are their records like in bigger games though? Genuine question. A lot of hype around Torreira last season, but I don't see the point if he can't stay ahead of Xhaka in the pecking order? Tierney will be a much needed upgrade on Monreal. Maitland-Niles is okay. Leno has come good after a rocky start in my opinion. Central defence is the real puzzler for me with Arsenal. Sokratis and David Luiz have both been brought in the wrong side of 30 and Emery or whoever is currently in charge of recruitment can't blame any previous regime for those two.

I also noticed the stat they showed during the game today. Arsenal have gone 22 away games without a win against City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. That's properly shameful. From what I've seen of them today and against Burnley they'll be comfortable top 6 again but only top 4 if Chelsea and United drop enough points to be worse than them.

6 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

What a chance, poor finish but Pepe has been unreal today. 

He looked awesome. In a stable established team that knows how to use him he'll be an absolute weapon imo.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Anybody have a clip of Luiz's foul?

It was a soft call imo. Interesting the ref gave it when salah could have scored if play continued and he didn't do much to appeal for it.

Very well taken penalty. Most convincing one I can remember since Harry Kane at the world cup.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

He looked awesome. In a stable established team that knows how to use him he'll be an absolute weapon imo.

It was a soft call imo. Interesting the ref gave it when salah could have scored if play continued and he didn't do much to appeal for it.

Very well taken penalty. Most convincing one I can remember since Harry Kane at the world cup.

absolute weapon hhehe

• Subscriber

Arsenal had the right idea yesterday when it came to defense but they ultimately let themselves down by thinking that they were going to get more time on the ball. Dani Ceballos was non-existent and had there been more time granted to him on the ball he'd have probably pulled a few more strings. These are still early days for them but I like their attack and against other teams that dont press and hound them they are going to perform much better. 

As for us, we are starting to look more like the team from last season. Salah knew he had the chance to run against Luiz when the first card was issued and scored a wonder-goal as a result. As time has progressed it seems like Matip is getting better in the position hes been given as well and I hope Joe can get back to proper match fitness because having the two of them to swap in and out will be very good in the long run. Adrian is still a liability at the back and nearly cost us yesterday too but otherwise I think he did a good job and initially our defense were a bit blind-sided by Pepe but they then learned that prediction was better than trying to match his speed and once that happened he wasn't getting much joy especially in the second half.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I genuinely didn't know Cabellos was playing until he was subbed

He's young and learning to adapt. It showed yesterday in one particular situation where a more experienced midfielder would have just cleared the ball but instead he tried to force his style of play and tried to get it out of the back. I don't think he's bad at all but he came up against a team that hounded that midfield and forced so many turnovers that he spent more time chasing than dictating. 

6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

He's young and learning to adapt. It showed yesterday in one particular situation where a more experienced midfielder would have just cleared the ball but instead he tried to force his style of play and tried to get it out of the back. I don't think he's bad at all but he came up against a team that hounded that midfield and forced so many turnovers that he spent more time chasing than dictating. 

Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's shit or anything, my post probably come across like that maybe? I don't think Liverpool away is a game where a player like him thrives for the reasons you mentioned

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's shit or anything, my post probably come across like that maybe? I don't think Liverpool away is a game where a player like him thrives for the reasons you mentioned

TBF to what you posted I was worried when I saw the lineup and thought we'd get a look at their new midfielder and how good he is but then Pepe was the more immediate threat and when Ceballos finally came off I was wondering the same thing you were haha.

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is present day Wenger really worse than Emery? Perhaps it’s harsh to only judge him on his performances against us but... I’m going to.

It probably comes down to the control at board level as well, with Edu overseeing the football side now I’m not sure Emery will last past his two year deal which expires this summer. I thought he was an odd choice tbh, I don’t think he’s ever shown himself to be more than a Europa League level manager. If Arsenal win it this season then great but they’re back in the Champions League but I think Arsenal need to look a head coach that wouldn’t look out of place at Liverpool or Spurs.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

It probably comes down to the control at board level as well, with Edu overseeing the football side now I’m not sure Emery will last past his two year deal which expires this summer. I thought he was an odd choice tbh, I don’t think he’s ever shown himself to be more than a Europa League level manager. If Arsenal win it this season then great but they’re back in the Champions League but I think Arsenal need to look a head coach that wouldn’t look out of place at Liverpool or Spurs.

Great post, I think ultimately post Wenger the board knew they needed an experienced coach who could steady the ship. I also think with Emery's Europa League acumen that would give us another route into the Champions League. I don't think Emery was ever the end goal, that's why he was only given two years. If he doesn't get Champions League this year he is gone 100% and even then I could still see him being moved on if something better comes along. The club is going into a much better situation for a top coach to succeed now. 

Unai Emery has an impeccable track record with the types of clubs that we are presently and he is required. The next step when we eventually arrive at it once the deadwood has been cleared up and a project is fully underway will direct us to the type of coach we need.

It was imperative to let Wenger go no matter what came in as he was the old guard and couldn't or shouldn't be permitted to take us to a new dawn. He had too much control.

To be fair to Emery, he was a little unlucky his plan didn't come off yesterday.

Rather than be predictable, he was daring to invite two of the best full backs in the league to play to their strengths and get crosses in and yet, when Arsenal countered, they had great space to exploit with Pepe and Aubemeyang.

Had they been clinical with two or three of those first half openings created, they would have taken the lead and we are talking a different game then.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

To be fair to Emery, he was a little unlucky his plan didn't come off yesterday.

Rather than be predictable, he was daring to invite two of the best full backs in the league to play to their strengths and get crosses in and yet, when Arsenal countered, they had great space to exploit with Pepe and Aubemeyang.

Had they been clinical with two or three of those first half openings created, they would have taken the lead and we are talking a different game then.

It had to be a tactical masterclass with risks and hoping for excellent performances to narrow the chasm that exists between both squads. Luck obviously has a lot to do with it and is part and parcel in football... He was right to play that game but for me he should've played two upfront to open up late arrivals into the box and also double-up on their attacking flanks.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived