talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Renato Sanches - Signs for Lille

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanches has so far failed to live up to his potential both at Bayern and in his loan spell at Swansea. He really didn't play well in most of his appearances for Bayern and Swansea. There is no doubt that he has some talent, this was witnessed at his time at Benfica and for Portugal at Euro 2016. But I think it's clear that he's not quite good enough to play for Bayern. Hopefully his career will get back on track at Lille and maybe he can improve his game there.

I think that this is a good deal for all parties concerned.

• Subscriber

I just can never understand why talented teenagers choose to go to Bayern (not talking about youth setups here); lots of playing time and manager's trust is crucial in developing and learning at their age yet given the competition in team, media attention, fan expectations and pressure to instantly perform most of them end up warming the bench or playing in Regionalliga for the reserves thus stalling their development. Sanches, Weiser, Diarra in the past, now Arp, Davies, Cuisance, not to mention the unfulfilled potential of Sinan Kurt; so many examples there.

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

I just can never understand why talented teenagers choose to go to Bayern (not talking about youth setups here); lots of playing time and manager's trust is crucial in developing and learning at their age yet given the competition in team, media attention, fan expectations and pressure to instantly perform most of them end up warming the bench or playing in Regionalliga for the reserves thus stalling their development. Sanches, Weiser, Diarra in the past, now Arp, Davies, Cuisance, not to mention the unfulfilled potential of Sinan Kurt; so many examples there.

It is a challenge going to a club with the dimensions Bayern have at a young age but that's no excuse. Infact it filters those who will succeed at the highest level from those we then measure in a different manner which doesn't mean they can't go on to become fantastic players.

There are various factors that can stunt the growth of talent with one of the main ones being taken out of their original habitat (club) and then there are the special ones like for example what we're seeing with João Félix who moved to Atlético Madrid for a whopping €120m and it's as if that means nothing to him and all to do with something between clubs. He doesn't care, he wants to perform and enjoy his football and it's not as if he's gone to a club with the most liberal of coaches in the shape of Diego Simeone.

For me this seperates those that want from those that are searching for something else from football. In both routes you'll earn a ton of money but only one also takes you to playing with the greatest every week.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It is a challenge going to a club with the dimensions Bayern have at a young age but that's no excuse. Infact it filters those who will succeed at the highest level from those we then measure in a different manner which doesn't mean they can't go on to become fantastic players.

There are various factors that can stunt the growth of talent with one of the main ones being taken out of their original habitat (club) and then there are the special ones like for example what we're seeing with João Félix who moved to Atlético Madrid for a whopping €120m and it's as if that means nothing to him and all to do with something between clubs. He doesn't care, he wants to perform and enjoy his football and it's not as if he's gone to a club with the most liberal of coaches in the shape of Diego Simeone.

For me this seperates those that want from those that are searching for something else from football. In both routes you'll earn a ton of money but only one also takes you to playing with the greatest every week.

My sentiments exactly. Renato actually had a fairly good pre season for what that matters. Come first match of the season he doesnt start and is subbed on after 80 minutes and what does he do; sits in the corner and when asked by a reporter says he wants to leave. Thats not the mentality of someone fighting at a top club, he can fuck off as far as Im concerned and frankly it should have happend years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

My sentiments exactly. Renato actually had a fairly good pre season for what that matters. Come first match of the season he doesnt start and is subbed on after 80 minutes and what does he do; sits in the corner and when asked by a reporter says he wants to leave. Thats not the mentality of someone fighting at a top club, he can fuck off as far as Im concerned and frankly it should have happend years ago. 

I sense no loveloss there from you, lol. I am guessing that you are from Quebec. I've dealt with a few French Canadians and they are almost always straight to the point when it comes to expressing their feelings. Don't worry dude, Bayern look stacked with talent this season, I think another league title is on the way. If you can get Roca now that Sanches has effed off, then all the better mate, lol.

23 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I remember Javier Mascherano a few months after signing for Barcelona and holding a one-to-one interview with an Argnetinian newspaper (La Nación) regarding these things. He arrived at the club at the hight of their excellence with Pep Guardiola as head coach. It was the moment of that football the team were playing that wowed the world and one of the questions went like this;

"It must be the easiest football moment of your career and possibly ever. To have joined them at this moment must lead someone to believe that they don't even need a coach."

Mascherano replied with this after genuinely laughing;

"This isn't Walt Disney!"

"There is a perception that what is being observed happens by itself and that we just wait for the next game."

"Let me tell you that I've never worked so hard. I've come from the Premier League, the English game which is known for hard work and tough games. But this is different because your opponent isn't scared, it may seem that way but they're not afraid. They come at you and that guy on the sidelines (Guardiola) is the biggest son of a bitch I've ever met and I say this with respect and not an insult. Training leaves you at death's door and you remain in the facilities for almost two hours after recovering not only from the physical, but the mental exercises he puts you through."

"Up north they've got 'El Loco' (Marcelo Bielsa at Athletic Bilbao) and I understand why they both communicate after every game. This isnt Disneyland, this is hard work. What you guys see out there on the pitch comes from hard work and may balls (mis cojones) have become useless to my wife."

"Every player out there is giving more than they can, all of them including Messi.  To get what you see requires a mental and physical sacrifice that few can imagine."

"All I can say to anyone arriving to this club thinking that it's all mechanical and easy. They're in for a shock!" 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I get your point but I disagree with this "sink or swim" approach for filtering the best from the rest when it comes to young players. Sure, there will always be exceptional talents among them with the right attitude and strong mentality on top of that to make it through but I'd say that there are many more 16-18 year old teens who actually need proper guidance and support to develop both as a player and as a person and for me that's also responsibility of the club they sign for. I mean I kind of understand it from Bayern's or any other big club's point of view as they expect best players with best performances to deliver instant results; what I don't understand is those kids signing professional contracts without a chance of playing and then they wonder that they get stuck in Regionalliga playing for the reserves for years :what:

11 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

To be fair to him though he had spent three years in the club during which he failed to make a breakthrough, then goes on to have a good pre-season hoping to impress, still only features occasionally once the season starts, watches the club sign new players for the same position as apparently they don't see him as good enough to be a regular starter but he is still not allowed to leave either - definitely frustrating af.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

ITo be fair to him though he had spent three years in the club during which he failed to make a breakthrough, then goes on to have a good pre-season hoping to impress, still only features occasionally once the season starts, watches the club sign new players for the same position as apparently they don't see him as good enough to be a regular starter but he is still not allowed to leave either - definitely frustrating af.

I uderstand your point but it took 3 years for him to have a fairly good pre season and probably deserve the start. At this point he just needed to move on. Maybe he can recapture that form from a run of matches but it certainly wasnt going to happen here. His best match for Bayern was probably in a rather weak team effort against Benefica (I think last year) he started the next bundesliga match and went back to his usual headless chicken routine where he misplaces every second pass and gives the ball away. It happend too many times Im over it.

36 minutes ago, Michael said:

I sense no loveloss there from you, lol. I am guessing that you are from Quebec. I've dealt with a few French Canadians and they are almost always straight to the point when it comes to expressing their feelings. Don't worry dude, Bayern look stacked with talent this season, I think another league title is on the way. If you can get Roca now that Sanches has effed off, then all the better mate, lol.

Im from Vancouver :D im not too fussed, Im just tired of Renato its been the same thing every year now. I would love to replace with him Roca and as it sounds thats the plan. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Viva la FCB said:

I uderstand your point but it took 3 years for him to have a fairly good pre season and probably deserve the start. At this point he just needed to move on. Maybe he can recapture that form from a run of matches but it certainly wasnt going to happen here. His best match for Bayern was probably in a rather weak team effort against Benefica (I think last year) he started the next bundesliga match and went back to his usual headless chicken routine where he misplaces every second pass and gives the ball away. It happend too many times Im over it.

But that's exactly my point - Bayern saw that he's not good enough for them; fair enough - the competition is huge and the bar is high and not every young player is going to make it ; that's natural. Why did they prevent him from leaving though? Apparently he was asking for a transfer twice already. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

But that's exactly my point - Bayern saw that he's not good enough for them; fair enough - the competition is huge and the bar is high and not every young player is going to make it ; that's natural. Why did they prevent him from leaving though? Apparently he was asking for a transfer twice already. 

Yeah I cant argue there, I do recall over the years various reports of him wanting out. If hes deemed not good enough then why stall 3 years of his career essentially. The rumoured fee is around €25m and you'd have to think they could have got that at nearly any point :what:

Many Benfica fans crying over this move, claiming we should get him back instead. I personally don't understand why they're mad.

He's done nothing since leaving and hasn't improved at all. Tactically one of the worst players I've seen yet, which is normal for a kid but his awareness is still so bad, it's baffling. He's not reliable. His short pass hasn't improved too which is a big no at the highest level.

His good attributes don't neutralize his faults.

Archived