The better place to talk football.

The Mandalorian [SPOILERS!]

football forum

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Just watched it! 

First things first - I loved it. The production value is extremely good. It's visually stunning, the soundtrack is amazing, the storyline is promising and the most important thing - it truly feels like Star Wars due to it being so true to the original trilogy in terms of pacing, world building, old-school effects, goofy humour, witty dry dialogue and the overall feel. Also so many nods to the original movies in the details; love it. Funnily enough, I have a feeling that because of of all that the show is going to appeal more to the somewhat older Star Wars fans who grew up watching the original trilogy whereas the younger generations might struggle a bit with it. Old spaghetti westerns are definitely a huge influence as well stylistically; it's gritty, fun and engaging.

The ending of the first episode...I won't do any spoilers but the reveal is going to have MASSIVE implications for the show and for the whole Star Wars universe.

A short summary of my first impressions: it's a visually stunning space western in a Star Wars universe with cool characters, engaging story, good action and amazing musical score. It somehow manages to capture the essence of both the prequels and the original trilogy, all while keeping it completely new and fresh. This is Star Wars I fell in love with!

Highly recommended.

@Tommy @Cicero @Batard @Rick @Mel81x @Bluewolf @IgnisExcubitor @DeadLinesman @Dr. Gonzo

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Just watched it! 

First things first - I loved it. The production value is extremely good. It's visually stunning, the soundtrack is amazing, the storyline is promising and the most important thing - it truly feels like Star Wars due to it being so true to the original trilogy in terms of pacing, world building, old-school effects, goofy humour, witty dry dialogue and the overall feel. Also so many nods to the original movies in the details; love it. Funnily enough, I have a feeling that because of of all that the show is going to appeal more to the somewhat older Star Wars fans who grew up watching the original trilogy whereas the younger generations might struggle a bit with it. Old spaghetti westerns are definitely a huge influence as well stylistically; it's gritty, fun and engaging.

The ending of the first episode...I won't do any spoilers but the reveal is going to have MASSIVE implications for the show and for the whole Star Wars universe.

A short summary of my first impressions: it's a visually stunning space western in a Star Wars universe with cool characters, engaging story, good action and amazing musical score. It somehow manages to capture the essence of both the prequels and the original trilogy, all while keeping it completely new and fresh. This is Star Wars I fell in love with!

Highly recommended.

@Tommy @Cicero @Batard @Rick @Mel81x @Bluewolf @IgnisExcubitor @DeadLinesman @Dr. Gonzo

Im watching it tonight so I will chip in when I get to it.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Batard said:

@nudge how much Boba Fett footage appeared? The higher production value material is from that canned production

To be fair I don't think there's any footage from the cancelled Boba Fett movie production there... Where does this rumour come from?

• Administrator
On 12/11/2019 at 18:25, nudge said:

To be fair I don't think there's any footage from the cancelled Boba Fett movie production there... Where does this rumour come from?

There was a rumour doing the rounds on YouTube that it featured cut footage from the Boba Fett movie that was canned due to Lucas royalties. No idea how legit any of it is. 

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Batard said:

There was a rumour doing the rounds on YouTube that it featured cut footage from the Boba Fett movie that was canned due to Lucas royalties. No idea how legit any of it is. 

I see. That's interesting, I know that a standalone Boba Fett movie was in the plans twice but got cancelled in pre-development the first time due to disagreements between the director and the screenwriter and then it also got canned the second time along with other standalone Star Wars movies because Solo: A Star Wars Story did poorly at the box office...so they decided to make The Mandalorian and the upcoming Kenobi miniseries instead. 

Anyway - just watch the show; it's great :P 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@nudge

Quite liked it. Felt it was a bit short for a start but I am thinking it will pick up pretty quick once more characters are introduced into the story line. And yes that ending threw a spanner into things. 

That's not a very strong reaction :7_sweat_smile: I felt the same way about the length of the episode but after watching it three times already (twice in English and once in German) I must say that I find it better and better with every re-watch. 

The new episode comes out tomorrow.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's not a very strong reaction :7_sweat_smile: I felt the same way about the length of the episode but after watching it three times already (twice in English and once in German) I must say that I find it better and better with every re-watch. 

The new episode comes out tomorrow.

I only waited so long because I didn't want to wait for too long before seeing the next one haha. Avoiding news about something like this is very hard but I am glad the first big surprise is out of the way. Maybe I'll wait it again to see if the pacing grows on me but for what they showed at the end it made a lot of sense to pace it the way they did. I saw it in widescreen too which makes the experience of watching the wider shots so much better imo. 

If you've never seen 21:9 content I highly recommend giving it a read.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Turns out I won't be pirating this... because my wife has signed us up for a Disney+ subscription. So that's cool, I suppose... although I really didn't want to pay for another subscription lol

I've heard someone say that getting high and watching old Darkwing Duck episodes on Disney+ is a great experience. Had to think of you for some reason xD 

Might be worth trying... :35_thinking:

Just watched the first episode, and holy shit, that was fucking amazing. A Star Wars based western, more or less. The Star Wars atmosphere was far more real than in those Sequels, and it found a perfect balance between story, atmosphere and comic relief. 

Just one thing made me laugh. That fucking Alien speaking in Nick Nolte's voice. I think Nick Nolte's voice nowadays only fits to Nick Nolte's face nowadays... xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just watched the first episode, and holy shit, that was fucking amazing. A Star Wars based western, more or less. The Star Wars atmosphere was far more real than in those Sequels, and it found a perfect balance between story, atmosphere and comic relief. 

Just one thing made me laugh. That fucking Alien speaking in Nick Nolte's voice. I think Nick Nolte's voice nowadays only fits to Nick Nolte's face nowadays... xD

That Ugnaught kind of looks like Nick Nolte too though :D 

Glad you thought it's amazing as well... 

Just now, nudge said:

That Ugnaught kind of looks like Nick Nolte too though :D 

Glad you thought it's amazing as well... 

Yea, I think they kind of used his eyes, CGI magic or something?

It was definitely amazing. Also baby yoda :o A clone, a descendent or just a pup from the same race? 

I will also use the phrase "Initiate self destruct" in my mind whenever something inconvenient happens in my life. That scene was hilarious too. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I think they kind of used his eyes, CGI magic or something?

It was definitely amazing. Also baby yoda :o A clone, a descendent or just a pup from the same race? 

I will also use the phrase "Initiate self destruct" in my mind whenever something inconvenient happens in my life. That scene was hilarious too. 

A fun fact: if you calculate the dates it turns out out that the baby Yoda was born at 41 BBY - make a guess who was also born same year?...

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611011e0c3f64c19faf8

Just now, nudge said:

A fun fact: if you calculate the dates it turns out out that the baby Yoda was born at 41 BBY - make a guess who was also born same year?...

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611011e0c3f64c19faf8

That's more confusing than anything. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Share one of your speculations, please. Something about midichlorians? :35_thinking:

That could be one of the theories; yes. Basically just a thought that a baby Yoda might have been "created" to counter Anakin being born in order to keep the balance in the Force. Given that the balance has always been one of the key concepts in the franchise, I think there's definitely some connection there.

It could also be just a coincidence. The most important thing is why the scientist & the Werner Herzog's imperial remnant want him. That Dr. Pershing has a patch on the sleeve of his uniform which appears to be the same one worn by the clone trainees at the Kamino training facilities in the prequels:

Star-Wars-Kamino.jpg

EJOiQ52X0AEhPhn?format=jpg&name=large

EJOiQ54WsAEZHag?format=png&name=small

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, nudge said:

That could be one of the theories; yes. Basically just a thought that a baby Yoda might have been "created" to counter Anakin being born in order to keep the balance in the Force. Given that the balance has always been one of the key concepts in the franchise, I think there's definitely some connection there.

It could also be just a coincidence. The most important thing is why the scientist & the Werner Herzog's imperial remnant want him. That Dr. Pershing has a patch on the sleeve of his uniform which appears to be the same one worn by the clone trainees at the Kamino training facilities in the prequels:

One of the things that I hope TRoSW sorts out and then bleeds over into this show is the fact that whenever they use this word 'balance' its always related to Jedi/Light-Based characters. Now that its all going tits up in that final movie I hope Favreau introduces us to a new Sith Lord who doesn't get involved but is potentially the one after the baby just because he/she can feel its presence and wants it destroyed. 

Archived