talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Peru - Adopt A Team 2019 Edition

football forum

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

It’s actually River Plate AND Deportivo Municipal. It’s the most unoriginal yet attempting to be ambitious badge in history. They probably just went on photoshop and told them to put the Muni badge inside of the River crest.

You obviously know tons about Peruvian football. What’s the situation behind the lack of originality in the crests because I’m sure each area has its local history which is what crests on the whole are based on everywhere in the football world. Plus the club names in some cases are absolutely mental.

Why does this happen, you must’ve thought about this yourself or is it something that in a country with such a rich football history for some weird reason this is not important.

I have an inkling that Peruvian club football isn’t a big thing in Perú and that even though they love and are passionate about the sport, at club level they look outside their borders.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

You obviously know tons about Peruvian football. What’s the situation behind the lack of originality in the crests because I’m sure each area has its local history which is what crests on the whole are based on everywhere in the football world. Plus the club names in some cases are absolutely mental.

Why does this happen, you must’ve thought about this yourself or is it something that in a country with such a rich football history for some weird reason this is not important.

I have an inkling that Peruvian club football isn’t a big thing in Perú and that even though they love and are passionate about the sport, at club level they look outside their borders.

To your first question, this is an amateur competition that starts with 24,000 clubs and have to go through zonal qualification, so sometimes if they get a good sponsor or the owner just happens to get rich, either because he is or in some shady illegal way,. The names probably come from third worlders in fairness. The crests I can't explain, probably for the same reason but if they truly have money surely it can't be that difficult to pay for a logo?

And as for your inkling, I'd say club football is rather big in Peru but not as much as say Argentina or Brazil. Most of the people I met in Peru follow the league. It's the higher class citizens or immigrants who tend to not give a fuck. It also seems rather artificial outside of Lima. That's probably because most of the provincial clubs have gotten relegated. The top flight has a couple of tinpot clubs that got promoted via this tournament.

It's a hard question to answer without disrespecting somebody. Politics may have also played a part. Peru isn't a first world country by any means but it was much worse when my dad was young. Plagued with terrorism and a dictatorship before that.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

In the UK we've got 'Captain Birdseye' for cheap quick fish for the lazy folk. 'Coronel Bolognesi' sounds and reads like the equivalent for lower class Italians and tinned muck. xD:ph34r:

For belittling my adopted club, you are officially my rival for the season :coffee:

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Cheers @Grizzly21. They any good?

They have been competing for promotion the last few years. I think they've made the quarter finals in 2017 and 2018 (they definitely did at least one of those years). However I'm not too sure if they are as good this time around.

Archived