football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Basque derby should be fun.

That's game of the weekend for me. 

Without a doubt the Basque derby is always an event but both Friday games look to be really entertaining this coming weekend.

Shame about that Piqué handball because the “remontada”

in a difficult away fixture was almost executed. 

Great to see the 16 year old Ansu Fati score his first goal for the seniors and he changed the dynamics in the side.

48 minutes ago, Machado said:

The record for youngest goal scorer still belongs to Fabrice Olinga who scored for Malaga in 2012 at the age of 16 and 3 months. Fati is almost 17.

The midfield HAS to be Busquets, Arthur and de Jong. That’s an incredible midfield.

8 hours ago, Machado said:

The record for youngest goal scorer still belongs to Fabrice Olinga who scored for Malaga in 2012 at the age of 16 and 3 months. Fati is almost 17.

Indeed, Ansu Fati is the third youngest footballer to score a goal in La Liga after Fabrice Olinga and Iker Muniaín.

Ansu Fati though, is the youngest ever footballer ever to score a goal for Barcelona in La Liga.

I was rooting for Ansu to score against Real Betis last week when he came on, so that he could become to club's youngest scorer in La Liga, so I'm glad for him to have done so against Osasuna this weekend. I haven't watched any of the match, other than the goals themselves yet, as I was travelling back from the South East yesterday but great to see him score and is proving his worth already as such a young age. The kid must be pinching himself.

I remember when Messi was the youngest scorer for Barcelona in La Liga, before that was then broken by Bojan(after he was assisted by Messi himself, ironically) and now Ansu Fati has gone and done it himself. Hopefully he goes on to become more like Messi has than Bojan though...

As for the league, this is Atletico's to to lose this season, surely? They haven't been winning easily, but Barcelona and Real have cracks all over the place, while I see more hunger from this Atletico side. They have the better manager as well.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

As for the league, this is Atletico's to to lose this season, surely? They haven't been winning easily, but Barcelona and Real have cracks all over the place, while I see more hunger from this Atletico side. They have the better manager as well.

Agree with this. 

Atletico have always had the hunger I think but just lacked on the consistency of some results that Barcelona would churn out. I think the cracks are bigger than ever though and Atletico don't have to over rely on Griezmann any more. Valverde is probably the worst manager of the 3 in charge. 

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Valverde is probably the worst manager of the 3 in charge. 

There is no way Zidane is a better coach than Valverde, no way. But the cracks are there although in Barça's case Valverde does have quite a bit to do with it but also bad luck in this campaign so far with very important players missing and also the team being destabilised with all the transfer talk. I know it probably looks like I'm contradicting myself when I defend and then seemingly criticise Valverde in the same paragraph, but to go into the details of why I know Valverde is a better coach than Zidane would mean me going into Valverde's record as a football coach which I can't do now. Ernesto Valverde just doesn't suit Barça unfortunately.

This is Barcelona's worst start to a league campaign in over 20 years with only one defeat and that shows how hard it is to be a coach there.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Ernesto Valverde just doesn't suit Barça unfortunately.

This is the main reason why I think out of the 3 and the respective clubs they manage, he's the worst. Zidane and Simeone suit Real & Atletico respectively. Every team is destabilised with transfer talk. Let's not act like Barca are the only ones to suffer that fate!

I know Valverde has bad luck with injuries but so do all managers but they find a way. Even times last season despite winning the league, there were still shortcomings and cracks in the team which were papered over in the ultimate way of winning the league. There's incredibly high expectations, understandably so. Not questioning Valverde's record over the years but with this Barca side, I don't think he's the right fit. 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

This is the main reason why I think out of the 3 and the respective clubs they manage, he's the worst. Zidane and Simeone suit Real & Atletico respectively. Every team is destabilised with transfer talk. Let's not act like Barca are the only ones to suffer that fate!

I know Valverde has bad luck with injuries but so do all managers but they find a way. Even times last season despite winning the league, there were still shortcomings and cracks in the team which were papered over in the ultimate way of winning the league. There's incredibly high expectations, understandably so. Not questioning Valverde's record over the years but with this Barca side, I don't think he's the right fit. 

The reason I think Barcelona is especially destabilised with the transfer talk is because there are a few important players he hasn't been able to use properly due to this (add the injuries that have ravaged the front line)... Just to name two, Rakitić and Umtiti. He has even had to use a player that's been minutes away from moving twice this summer in Rafinha.

But Real Madrid are in a similar position with all these issues and which curiously has both clubs 1 point difference between them.

On 31/08/2019 at 17:22, El Profesor said:

Valverde is such a terrible coach. 

Apparently, he thought Arthur and de Jong wouldn´t fit together in the midfield. Arthur came in and now de Jong is playing better. 

Both of these 2 have to start, or they might as well just be sold right now before they are wasted.

Zidane isn't a great manager either. He finishes 3rd in La Liga more than anything else and in the Champs league was massively bailed out by Ramos and sometimes C.Ronaldo.

This is why I think it's Atletico's this season, as they are the only ones with a genuinely top class manager, who actually has character.

Valverde's style of football makes a Mourinho team look massively exciting and Zidane is highly overrated.

Just witnessed some stats that show Zidane’s return is much worse than Lopetegui’s time as Real coach. Will this be enough to see him questioned and given the boot?

In all honesty Florentino Pérez didn’t want him back, he wanted another return which was José Mourinho. How long will it last?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived