talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Date wise, how would you like football to be played?

football forum

How would you like fixtures to be spread?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like fixtures to be spread?

• Saturday @ 15:00 only
    • Saturday & Sunday only
    • Saturday, Sunday & Monday only
    • Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Friday only
    • Spread evenly from Monday right through till Sunday

football forum

Over the years I've heard a lot about people getting annoyed about the problems with modern football and one of them that always jumps out is what day our football matches are played on. A section of the football faithful hate how ''Monday Night Football'' has become normal and there was even an effort from Sky to get Friday Night Football going at the start of the season. 

So my question is this - how do you think football should be played fixture wise? Would you be happy to see every game played on a Saturday at 15:00 even though that meant you wouldn't be able to watch any fixture other than your own teams? Would you prefer the fixture list to be spread over seven days a week or is the current set-up just right? 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't mind matches being on TV but it's when matches get moved that make it unrealistic and impractical for fans to travel to.

I'm sure Newcastle vs Plymouth a few seasons ago got moved to Monday night. It's unfair to make fans travel all that way when 1) it's a fucking long trip and 2) public transport won't run all the way back so late at night).

If it's gonna be moved for TV on a Friday or Monday, keep it for a local game where there's more likely gonna be an option for fans to get back home at a decent time and with decent transport available. 

The TV companies (Sky/BT) do not give one shit about the fans and there needs to be some enforcement from clubs to look after their fans when it comes to moving fixtures. Or at least have the option to refuse a match to be shown on a certain date. For example, I'd find it unfair for Newcastle to travel to Brighton next season on a Monday night. If that was put forward to the clubs I'd expect them to put some resistance to it for the fans' sake. 

We tend not to have any 'Monday Night Football', but we have football on Friday nights. And as long as it's a local enough game, it's great. Leave work on Friday a bit earlier than usual, get down to the ground (enough time for some drinks before as well. Maybe I'm slightly biased as the last Friday night game Aberdeen had, they won 7-0 away from home.

Don't usually mind whether the game is on a Saturday or Sunday, but the kickoff time is crucial. Playing a midday kickoff at the other side of the country is a problem when your nearest clubs are at least an hour away and most are more than two. Aberdeen have played two Semi-Finals at Hampden this season, and both have been 12:15 kickoffs. I know they do it to be the first television game on, but it has harmed the number of travelling supporters.

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

It makes no difference to me now, but when I still attended matches, I definitely preferred Saturdays (both in the afternoon and in the evening) purely for time-planning reasons. Friday night matches have their charm but it can be hard for travelling fans; same with Sunday. Both still ok though. Mondays and mid-week matches are nonsense. 

Glad DFL paid attention to the fan protests and cancelled Monday matches in both 1. and 2. Bundesliga starting from 2021/2022 season.

I think if they were to get rid of the blackout they could go back to mainly Saturday at 3. From a selfish point if view I like games being spread out because I can watch them. I suppose from a fan point of view isn't nice. I think Friday night is more convenient than Monday.  Don't really see the issue with games on Sunday or late Saturday kick ofs. One thing I would point out is not everyone gets the weekend of and midweek games give fans who work weekends chances to go to matches.

Archived