talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 1-1 Man Utd - Saturday 31st August, 2019

football forum

1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

Are you seriously expecting Moyes to have won something with Everton as a critique of him being appointed as United manager?

Fuck me, it's like saying Poch was a poor appointment for Spurs because he's won fuck all with Southampton. United may be bigger than Spurs but winning silverware doesn't always make the manager top class, or vice versa. It doesn't work like that.

Yeah because taking on Spurs is the same as taking on United. Manchester United is one of the 3 or 4 biggest clubs in the world, who was losing a manager who had been there 25+ years. Appointing Moyes a manager with no real pedigree didn't make any sense. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah because taking on Spurs is the same as taking on United. Manchester United is one of the 3 or 4 biggest clubs in the world, who was losing a manager who had been there 25+ years. Appointing Moyes a manager with no real pedigree didn't make any sense. 

It's called a gamble. To say he had no pedigree is nonsense. 

There are many managers who have won things that are trash and vice versa.

• The title was changed to Southampton 1-1 Man Utd - Saturday 31st August, 2019
  • Administrator

3 wins for Utd since March.

That's terrible for a team of their stature.

Bad thing for Utd is that I can see this type of game and result happening all too often throughout the season.

Tbf to United and Solskjaer, Daniel James seems an inspired signing in these early days.

I think United need to drop Pogba, tbh. Giving the ball away that easily and disrupting United’s ability to build up play... just constantly. But I don’t think that’s easy for Solskjaer to do but they want to keep his value as high as possible because of how expensive he is.

I think he’s a good player, but either he’s not suited for the league or the way United are looking to play just doesn’t suit him. Sometimes he pulls off some sublime passes and runs, he’s clearly gifted... but United need someone who will consistently work their bollocks off and do the basics right. They need that more than sublime midfield play right now - if they do the basics right in midfield they’ve got the attacking power to be dangerous to anyone.

But they say they’re keeping him and that he’s still an important player. So I think that’s good for people like me who are enjoying the stagnation. But to me, it makes sense for them to sell him before he looks more poo and use that money to invest into more young and hungry players that have potential and play with passion.

What I found quite interesting was the reaction from the Southampton fans when they equalised. Before teams like them would have been estatic when they get an equaliser against utd. Now it's like great now go on and win. 

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I still don't understand why this is used as a stick to beat Moyes with. It was an achievement that he made us good enough that people thought we could win something when another manager could easily have taken us into the Championship given the state of the club when Moyes took over. He was voted manager of the year 3 or 4 times in his 10 years at Everton by his peers so its not like being trophyless as an Everton manager in those circumstances was ever deemed a major sticking point.

I'm not saying he should have taken over from Fergie though, and I completely agree their managerial appointments have been total scatter gun since he retired.

The thing is mate is a lot of people on here did think he was the right man for the job at the time. I didn't I said utd were to big for him and he won't work. Someone said it was ridiculous to say he couldn't win stuff with better players. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf to United and Solskjaer, Daniel James seems an inspired signing in these early days.

I think United need to drop Pogba, tbh. Giving the ball away that easily and disrupting United’s ability to build up play... just constantly. But I don’t think that’s easy for Solskjaer to do but they want to keep his value as high as possible because of how expensive he is.

I think he’s a good player, but either he’s not suited for the league or the way United are looking to play just doesn’t suit him. Sometimes he pulls off some sublime passes and runs, he’s clearly gifted... but United need someone who will consistently work their bollocks off and do the basics right. They need that more than sublime midfield play right now - if they do the basics right in midfield they’ve got the attacking power to be dangerous to anyone.

But they say they’re keeping him and that he’s still an important player. So I think that’s good for people like me who are enjoying the stagnation. But to me, it makes sense for them to sell him before he looks more poo and use that money to invest into more young and hungry players that have potential and play with passion.

The other thing with keeping him is his manner off the pitch can go to shit. He's a tool downer so always a high risk of dropping in value of he's clearly unhappy...

30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The thing is mate is a lot of people on here did think he was the right man for the job at the time. I didn't I said utd were to big for him and he won't work. Someone said it was ridiculous to say he couldn't win stuff with better players. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Whoever they picked was almost certain to fail. The problem was more the lack of transfer strategy and continuity so they've made dozens of signings that didn't add up to anything....

• Subscriber

Manchester United are a mess beyond any obvious repair for me. You've got owners who care solely about the money side and have absolutely zero pride in the team or club and a director (or whatever he is) in Ed Woodward who makes this whole thing tick. You've got a weak manager in charge who got the job off the back of one admittedly very good run wth the highlight win of it being quite frankly a fluke through some appalling officiating, who's CV wouldn't land him the Middlesbrough job if not for his connections with Manchester United. You've got a scattergun transfer policy with very little imagination, no real planning and no position of strength despite being arguably the biggest club in the world - spending weeks in the summer resisting paying the absurd Maguire demands before caving in just days before the window closed. This is despite having the highest turnover in English football as well.

It's just one big mess. I can't see any obvious way out of it either unless the fans make the place impossible for the Glazers to keep in charge of the club. If Woodward goes (which he won't as he's a success in his bosses eyes) he'll only be replaced by another just like him as the objectives aren't what they should be. The problem is the fans seem too far gone to me too. I can't see any significant, toxic protests against the owners actually happening.

There's no footballing nous at that club these days and the problem is the revenue rolls in and the owners don't see this as being a problem, nor do they even realise it. You've got to consistently fail to make the CL and see the revenues drop before you see any serious change.

• The topic was unpinned
9 hours ago, Dan said:

Manchester United are a mess beyond any obvious repair for me. You've got owners who care solely about the money side and have absolutely zero pride in the team or club and a director (or whatever he is) in Ed Woodward who makes this whole thing tick. You've got a weak manager in charge who got the job off the back of one admittedly very good run wth the highlight win of it being quite frankly a fluke through some appalling officiating, who's CV wouldn't land him the Middlesbrough job if not for his connections with Manchester United. You've got a scattergun transfer policy with very little imagination, no real planning and no position of strength despite being arguably the biggest club in the world - spending weeks in the summer resisting paying the absurd Maguire demands before caving in just days before the window closed. This is despite having the highest turnover in English football as well.

It's just one big mess. I can't see any obvious way out of it either unless the fans make the place impossible for the Glazers to keep in charge of the club. If Woodward goes (which he won't as he's a success in his bosses eyes) he'll only be replaced by another just like him as the objectives aren't what they should be. The problem is the fans seem too far gone to me too. I can't see any significant, toxic protests against the owners actually happening.

There's no footballing nous at that club these days and the problem is the revenue rolls in and the owners don't see this as being a problem, nor do they even realise it. You've got to consistently fail to make the CL and see the revenues drop before you see any serious change.

That's saved me a job. Entirely agree with all of this post.

I also agree with Gonzo about James. Looks a real bargain although it's early days yet. 

Pogba, for me, is just a case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Because us poaching him from Le Havre was so well publicised he attained a reputation that he was some up and coming superstar from people who hadn't even seen him play. He played fairly well for the U18s but was nowhere near our best performer and he seriously declined in the reserves. Fergie let him go for a reason. 

I feel that resigning him was a massive mistake as I stated quite blatantly at the time. He seems to convince people that he is a top player when his performances on the pitch suggests the opposite - a mentally weak prima dona who, as Graeme Souness rightly said, doesn't know how to play in midfield even at his age. He lacks the basic fundamentals.

I'm sure he is very good on FM and FIFA and whatnot and that's the only place he'll ever be world class.

Will add that, as shite and limited as Lukaku is, these are the types of games where he would do a job. Rashford needs to seriously step up several gears if he wants to be starting every week imo. Martial needs to be a lot more consistent too

10 hours ago, Dan said:

That's basically how the club operates nowadays unfortunately.

"Shitty results>finish barely in top 6> (if fans angry) sign a well-known footballer so the staff can avoid the backslash from the fans and make them temporary happy and excited>repeat same stuff next season"

Sometimes I wonder what I want tho. Like I love when Manchester United is winning games especially with good performances but I know there is a small chance that can be consistent and not once in a while performance. I do really think more bad results are needed  for the club like finishing outside of top 10 etc, so there will be a bigger reaction for big changes to be made. As long as those bad/average results will be going in a non-stop loop, we will have the same recycle recipe of "Shitty results>finish barely in top 6> (if fans angry) sign a well-known footballer so the staff can avoid the backslash from the fans>repeat same stuff next season".

Archived