talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham - Sunday 1st September, 2019

football forum

We need to get rid of the clowns in the team, that are letting the team down game after game, Xhaka is an embarrassment of a captain, he offers nothing at all to this team, he is a brainless player who gives so many needless fouls and penalties away.  Leno is also another, he does make some great saves but he makes huge errors, he was known for this in Germany, the problem is that Arsenal do not have a 2nd keeper to challenge him at all.   Luiz is just a terrible defender, he has played 3 games and 4 goals have been down to his mistakes, we have just replaced Mustafi with another version defensively, I am sure Chambers would make far less mistakes.

Arsenal do desperately need their natural full backs playing but the biggest worry is the coach, he still doesn't know his first team and selection has been awful especially in midfield.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, if I was taking over Arsenal right now in a 'Football Manager' kind of scenario, I'd look to pinpoint these areas in January and next Summer's window.

GK - Leno has too many rickets in his game. Yes, it's great the modern day keeper can be handy with his feet but he needs to be solid in the basics of his position first. 

RB - Harsh really because Maitland-Niles for me is taking one for the team here. It's not where he'd want to play but he's being unselfish and covering a spot.

That said, square pegs in round holes are just asking for trouble. Even when Bellerin is back to fitness, I would want him as a back up to a new RB, such should he the strength in competition.

CB - David Luiz is not the answer. He was never the answer. He was an option that simply presented itself as a cheap alternative to plug a gap.

I would be looking for a domineering figure. Arsenal used to have great characters in this position. Adams, Bould, Keown, Campbell. I would want someone of this ilk, a potential leader/captain. Someone that is opposing to the opposition.

CM - I said it in the thread yesterday and I'll say it again. Arsenal have never replaced Viera. Many have been brought in and tried, but no one has ever truly made the spot their own.

It's the most important area on the pitch, where most games are won and lost. Arsenal need a leader in there, a real talisman. They have many 'alright' players to play there but no one who becomes a 'first name on the team sheet ' kind of player.

6 minutes ago, shut up said:

Leno didnt have his best game yesterday but GK and RB are not problem areas at all and neither is CM. Guendouzi will be one of the best in the league in a couples of seasons. Baller. Willock looks class as does Torriera. People love revisionism re vieira. Nobody in the league has a midfielder like vieira and they seem to be doing okay, so not sure why it's only arsenal who need him.

CB is the only issue in the first XI. Also the manager is a problem.

You watch your team more than me so if that's what you believe then fair enough.

But from an outsider point of view, I think you have your head buried in the ground if you only think one CB is the problem.

But each to their own.

29 minutes ago, shut up said:

Leno didnt have his best game yesterday but GK and RB are not problem areas at all and neither is CM. Guendouzi will be one of the best in the league in a couples of seasons. Baller. Willock looks class as does Torriera. People love revisionism re vieira. Nobody in the league has a midfielder like vieira and they seem to be doing okay, so not sure why it's only arsenal who need him.

Torriera has been poor for a long time now, even yesterday he was all over the place, Tottenham just ran straight through the midfield it was just so amateurish.  The mistakes in the team are only by a couple of players but that is down to the manager he keeps on playing the same players who keep on letting him down, so its Emerys responsibility as the Head coach to sort these issues out but he doesn't, Emery's contract is up at the end of the season and with the way he is going he doesn't deserve to have the contract renewed.

8 minutes ago, shut up said:

Torriera was overplayed last season and he hasbt had a pre season emery has poorly managed him. He's a Brilliant CM.

CB and the manager are the biggest issues at arsenal 

It seems Emery has started the season very poorly, now he has had a few new players but playing 3 defensive playing midfielders at home is just criminal and clearly didn't work.

I'm not sold on Emery far from it, but I think he still needs time to find the right balance. He does need to be braver and its time for him to make big decisions. There has been a mass turnover at the club with players the past 3 windows so I'm willing to give him a bit of time. I do believe it's time to drop Xhaka and Sokratis, to bone headed for me and will cost us points time and time again.

He also needs to make a big decisions with Aubameyang and Lacazette. We need to see them a bit more with Pepe before concluding if it works, but I don't think they are really compatible in a balanced team. I don't believe Emery likes playing both as you're restricting one of the best goal getters in the league and I don't think Lacazette does enough to be that Firmino type we'd need him to be to make it work. 

This is ultimately what is letting us down time and time again. Needs to be sorted ASAP and it starts by getting out the players who cause them. 

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Teddy Sheringham was better than both Berbatov and Keane imo

The best example of this for us is actually Klinsmann (first spell) - where we signed one of, if not the best strikers in the world at the time pretty much out of nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I'm not sold on Emery far from it, but I think he still needs time to find the right balance. He does need to be braver and its time for him to make big decisions. There has been a mass turnover at the club with players the past 3 windows so I'm willing to give him a bit of time. I do believe it's time to drop Xhaka and Sokratis, to bone headed for me and will cost us points time and time again.

He also needs to make a big decisions with Aubameyang and Lacazette. We need to see them a bit more with Pepe before concluding if it works, but I don't think they are really compatible in a balanced team. I don't believe Emery likes playing both as you're restricting one of the best goal getters in the league and I don't think Lacazette does enough to be that Firmino type we'd need him to be to make it work. 

This is ultimately what is letting us down time and time again. Needs to be sorted ASAP and it starts by getting out the players who cause them. 

Well Emery continues to play the same players that make the same mistakes that lead to goals and now he has bought in a new player that also has a hatful of mistake in him, can't see Emery being the manager next season.

14 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Well Emery continues to play the same players that make the same mistakes that lead to goals and now he has bought in a new player that also has a hatful of mistake in him, can't see Emery being the manager next season.

Not denying that, that's why I said he needs to be braver. Emery doesn't buy the players by the way, the technical team do. He probably has a say, but it ultimately comes down to Raul and Edu. I do think Emery has to have an oustanding season to stay on. If he gets us top 4 he would have done his job and I could see us looking for someone better. 

41 minutes ago, Storts said:

The best example of this for us is actually Klinsmann (first spell) - where we signed one of, if not the best strikers in the world at the time pretty much out of nowhere.

Forgot all about him - but yeah that's a much better example

1 hour ago, shut up said:

I think he's mentioning Vieira for his leadership qualities, rather than saying you need a like for like midfielder than him.

Just now, shut up said:

Doesn't have to be a CM for leadership qualities. A world class CB can give us that. 

The manager needs to be a leader first and foremost, so that needs sorting first.

Good teams usually have more than one leader figure.

I think Arsenal can improve in all areas questioned though. CM, CB, and manager.

The system is more of an issue than the personnel. Main issue with the defence is more to do with us not have a settled centre back partnership. Has been chopping and changing regularly for a few seasons due to injuries. Last defensive partnership that looked solid and had 2 players that complemented each other was Koscielny & Mertesacker.

Also, it's interesting that the team that didn't play so well, got 2 lucky goals and then went on to lose that 2 goal lead gets very little criticism...

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Also, it's interesting that the team that didn't play so well, got 2 lucky goals and then went on to lose that 2 goal lead gets very little criticism...

Haven't people being saying Spurs look a bit shit all season long though? Don't think they were that lucky though, it was a tale of 2 halves. In the first half they were much better than you. In the second half, they were worse than you.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Haven't people being saying Spurs look a bit shit all season long though? Don't think they were that lucky though, it was a tale of 2 halves. In the first half they were much better than you. In the second half, they were worse than you.

Both goals were definitely a case of us just giving it to them rather than them doing something good. To me that's them being lucky. They weren't that good overall in my opinion and look as bereft of ideas as Man Utd at the moment.

39 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Both goals were definitely a case of us just giving it to them rather than them doing something good. To me that's them being lucky. They weren't that good overall in my opinion and look as bereft of ideas as Man Utd at the moment.

They had so many chances against you though. The fact the ones they took came from bad Arsenal mistakes shouldn’t be surprising - most goals come from some defender making a mistake.

They pretty clearly had the better first half, you pretty clearly had the better second half. Given that we’ve got @Storts on here predicting a heavy win for you and that we’re seeing Spurs winless in their last 3 (and in relegation form on their last 16 league games) - it’s pretty clear that not all is right with Spurs right now.

I think the match yesterday is both encouraging in some areas for both clubs, but also discouraging in other areas for both clubs. There’s a lot of work needed to be done at both clubs if they want to match their ambitions for the season

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Tottenham were about a 6/10 for me.

Think you are being a bit harsh given Leno made two great saves to prevent it being worse.

You could also argue they gave it away with Danny Rose being a spastic and not booting the ball out so close to HT.

So from Spurs POV, an improvement on what they have been producing, but way behind the level they are truly at when all's said and done. 2nd half they were under the cosh.

And yet, a 6/10 showing and they got a draw with a slightly above average performance. You'd take that as a Spurs fan.

What would worry me as an Arsenal fan would be being the better side and yet being so easily exploited and picked off by a team a shadow of themselves. Doesn't bode well.

Burnley looked quite dangerous against you too the other week. I don't think any team in this league is scared to play Arsenal, especially away, and that's not a good thing for you.

17 minutes ago, shut up said:

Weird how this is framed as spurs managed to get a point despite being poor, rather than arsenal gifted spurs a two goal lead and bottled it. Spurs arent gonna get gifts like that every game.

Im be worried if i was a spurs fan. Been really poor in 2019 and a lot of their first XI seem to have fallen off a cliff. Lloris, Rose, Alli and Dier have been poor for over a year now. And not signing a RB is gonna cost them this season. 

Our problems are 3 of our back 4 are out injured and we play a different CB pairing every week. That will sort itself out in time.

I agree with you that everything isn't rosey in the Spurs garden.

Worrying for them to be losing players running contracts down for sure and still no trophy to show for the last 3/4 years of progression.

But the nuts and bolts of yesterday for example, were Spurs not being too great and managing a point. That's not a bad gift to have, after all, they did it at City the other week too.

I can understand it's easy to be defensive as an Arsenal fan because you feel you gain mote criticism than your rivals.

But you also need to factor that Spurs are given the benfit of doubt over you more because they have finished in the Top 4 the last three seasons, above Arsenal of course, and Arsenal haven't played Champions League football since the 2016-17 season.

So the evidence is there that they are still a decent side. That could all change this season of course, and Arsenal may finish above them. Getting Top 4 would be an improvement for Arsenal because the club needs to be Champions League.

But I don't think we've seen enough of Arsenal yet to suggest that will happen. The question marks remain.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Lucas said:

Personally, if I was taking over Arsenal right now in a 'Football Manager' kind of scenario, I'd look to pinpoint these areas in January and next Summer's window.

GK - Leno has too many rickets in his game. Yes, it's great the modern day keeper can be handy with his feet but he needs to be solid in the basics of his position first. 

RB - Harsh really because Maitland-Niles for me is taking one for the team here. It's not where he'd want to play but he's being unselfish and covering a spot.

That said, square pegs in round holes are just asking for trouble. Even when Bellerin is back to fitness, I would want him as a back up to a new RB, such should he the strength in competition.

CB - David Luiz is not the answer. He was never the answer. He was an option that simply presented itself as a cheap alternative to plug a gap.

I would be looking for a domineering figure. Arsenal used to have great characters in this position. Adams, Bould, Keown, Campbell. I would want someone of this ilk, a potential leader/captain. Someone that is opposing to the opposition.

CM - I said it in the thread yesterday and I'll say it again. Arsenal have never replaced Viera. Many have been brought in and tried, but no one has ever truly made the spot their own.

It's the most important area on the pitch, where most games are won and lost. Arsenal need a leader in there, a real talisman. They have many 'alright' players to play there but no one who becomes a 'first name on the team sheet ' kind of player.

Arsenal mssed a trick not going for Godin on a free. If they're happy enough to go with Luiz as a stopgap then why not just go for Godin? He's an organiser.

I also think they missed a trick letting us get Jonny Evans. He'd walk into their back line. We've been comfortably better at the back than them since we've had him.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Arsenal mssed a trick not going for Godin on a free. If they're happy enough to go with Luiz as a stopgap then why not just go for Godin? He's an organiser.

I also think they missed a trick letting us get Jonny Evans. He'd walk into their back line. We've been comfortably better at the back than them since we've had him.

Good point on Godín!

His experience (something vitally important in our case where defence is concerned) and his world class positional play would've served us a million times more than David Luiz.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived