talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

BL manager of the season ?

BL head coach of the season?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your BL head coach of the season?

• Ralph Hasenhüttl
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Christian Streich
    • Dieter Hecking
    • Alexander Nouri
    • somebody else (please elaborate)

I know, we´ve only reached matchday 31, still my question. There are some contenders in my opinion: Julian Nagelsmann led Hoffenheim from bottom of the table to CL contenders in just one season, Christian Streich has Freiburg a team many predicted would struggle competing for European football, the turnaround Gladbach made under Dieter Hecking is impressive, in my opinion.

This said, if either Maik Walpurgis or even more so Torsten Frings avoid relegation withtheir respective teams, they´re contenders as well.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Call me biased, but Alex Nouri should at least be one of the contenders, in my opinion. He did wonders after taking over a team which was in shambles for the last 5-6 years, and not only improved the results but made us play beautiful football again, while going from relegation zone to competing for Europa league.

Other than him, I'd say Nagelsmann; I'm a big fan of him as a manager.

Streich is obviously great too.

Christian Streich for me. I might be biased because I love that man, but everything about him is just great. His personality (probably the most unique, empathetic, intelligent character in the Bundesliga), they way he treats his players and manages to get everything out of them. 

Nagelsmann and Nouri would be my next choices. All things considered, I think Thomas Tuchel is doing an amazing job at Dortmund as well. 

32 minutes ago, nudge said:

Call me biased, but Alex Nouri should at least be one of the contenders, in my opinion. He did wonders after taking over a team which was in shambles for the last 5-6 years, and not only improved the results but made us play beautiful football again, while going from relegation zone to competing for Europa league.

Other than him, I'd say Nagelsmann; I'm a big fan of him as a manager.

Streich is obviously great too.

You´re not biased in my opinion, don´t even know how I could forget about him as Bremens development is even more impressive as Gladbachs one.

6 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Christian Streich for me. I might be biased because I love that man, but everything about him is just great. His personality (probably the most unique, empathetic, intelligent character in the Bundesliga), they way he treats his players and manages to get everything out of them. 

Nagelsmann and Nouri would be my next choices. All things considered, I think Thomas Tuchel is doing an amazing job at Dortmund as well. 

I disagree. An 'amazing' job would be you guys winning the title, you should be comfortably second with your players and resources. All said and done he is doing fine though.

1 hour ago, Tanksie said:

I disagree. An 'amazing' job would be you guys winning the title, you should be comfortably second with your players and resources. All said and done he is doing fine though.

Our players? We lost our 3 best players last season. We have a bunch of kids who are great talents, but not world class YET. We also lack a real leader.

On top of that we had a shit ton of bad luck with injuries as usual.

Ugh, have no choice but to admit it, but Nouri for me. A turnaround such as that absolutely deserves plaudit.

You see, for me, a "manager of the season" award should lend upmost weight and consideration to the man (or woman should it come to pass) who performs the most impressive work within that season. That certainly includes preseason of course, but the point remains that it's work isolated to that season and the results reflected within. I am a huge fan of Nagelsmann's, as I love and entirely agree with his philosophy on the game (he shares my disdain for the orthodox and outdated crossing game :x), and of course am biased due to the simple fact that we're the same age. I like to think that I live vicariously through him, despite how absurdly and utterly naively presumptuous that is of me, but I'm gonna do it nonetheless. Despite my sheer fandom of his, his work and results reflected this season have undoubtedly been founded on the base he established last season. It's been impressive, and he deserves full credit for what he's done at Hoffenheim, but the turnaround from Nouri within this season has just been utterly superb. A turnaround like that is incredibly rare, and requires incredible mental fortitude, psychological resolve,  will, man management, and of course tactical nous. It is for these reasons that Nouri and his work would receive my vote. 

I picked Nagelsmann cause what did this year was for me truly unexpected. He is 28 but he brought hoffenheim to a place, and basically he added so many talents to their squad . They shine like a diamond.

Hasenhuttl was a good coach in my eyes even last year so I knew he was gonna be good, I am bit surpised but a part of me thinks that RB did so good cause other teams flopped more.

Why Hecking is in the list lol ? He was hired when wolfsburg was in the relegation zone and it left them right there .

I was amazed by Freiburg and If I had a double chance he did a good job with Freiburg(if you remember i put them in the relegation fight at the first topic of predictions XD). He is an other surprise, but someoen told me Freiburg already managed 5th in the past.

With Nouri I kinda have up and down. I mean in the first one or two month he didn't do that great. It was after the new players came on the pitch that things really shaked up for Werder , so I will put that as turning point for them rather than Nouri doing something amazing. He is a good coach don't get me wrong and he managed to get in the first 2 months good results, but I feel like if they are in Europa League spot the merit should be given to the society and to the new players and in a small part to him.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bundesligafan93 said:

With Nouri I kinda have up and down. I mean in the first one or two month he didn't do that great. It was after the new players came on the pitch that things really shaked up for Werder , so I will put that as turning point for them rather than Nouri doing something amazing. He is a good coach don't get me wrong and he managed to get in the first 2 months good results, but I feel like if they are in Europa League spot the merit should be given to the society and to the new players and in a small part to him.

Have to completely disagree with you here. Nouri started pretty well (actually based on results purely, his debut was as good as that of Otto Rehhagel years ago), but Werder really started getting results after the winter break once he had enough time to implement his tactical plans and bring the players back to acceptable fitness levels which were horrible under Skripnik. One of his biggest achievements so far has been getting the best out of all players, as doesn't matter who plays, each of them performs at their best most of the time. And that is closely related to Nouri's ability to do pre-match analysis, prepare adequate tactical plans according to it, and actually choose the starting XI based on the strengths and the weaknesses of the opposition; not to mention his ability to read the game well, react on the events on the pitch and change his strategy depending on it. He has demonstrated his tactical awareness and motivational skills in Oldenburg and in our U23 team already before he was promoted to the first team, and it was apparent from his first game in charge, regardless of the final score. Even when we lost against BVB or Bayern, we played well. Our team is now extremely well organised, our defence which has been complete shambles for years is finally stable, our midfield is fluid and suddenly has plenty of creativity, our counter pressing works well and we're so efficient upfront. This is absolutely the achievement of the manager. Also, what new players? Delaney? Or Kruse coming back after injury? Sure, players are important and deserve a lot of credit too, but even more depends on a good coach team coming up with adequate system to get the best out of them, and it was extremely obvious in those games this season where Kruse, Delaney, Sané, Bauer, Junuzovic, Gnabry or any other first team regular was injured/suspended, yet we still managed to replace them, play well and get the results we needed. If Nouri stays, next season will be a real test for him as a manager, with or without Europa League. At this point though, he's been a revelation and the development that Werder made under him in such a short time is absolutely incredible.

Archived