• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

British Politics (non-Brexit)

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's the Labour party who are "institutionally racist" though. God it's like you don't even read the papers.

I mean it's basic maths. 

Deporting black Britons + Letting asylum seekers die + Prime Minister using racial slurs + Polls revealing endemic Islamophobia + associating with openly antisemitic/fascist parties across Europe + repeated racism scandals at council and constituency level < liking a photo of a mural on Facebook. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

The government have had funding from the EU since 2014 to help go towards eradicating child poverty, amongst other things, but have for some reason failed (or refused?!) to spend it in any form.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49131685

More ineptitude from the current government.

More than £3.5m intended to alleviate child poverty and homelessness is at risk of being wasted because the government has failed to spend it, says a House of Lords committee.

Peers have written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that the EU funding has not been used.

They warn that some of the cash has already been forfeited and are worried about the rest being handed back.

The government said there had been "barriers" over spending the money.

But peers have written to complain that after almost six years, the government has failed to deliver spending aimed at addressing "the worst forms of poverty".

About £580,000 of unspent cash has so far been taken back - and a further similar amount is at risk of being deducted at the end of the year.

"The government had an opportunity to help support the most disadvantaged people in the UK but has instead wasted over half a million pounds," said Lord Jay, chairman of the EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee.

He said it was "astonishing" that so long has been taken in deciding how to use the money - and said having to give back some of the funding was "unbelievably inept".

The UK was allocated more than £3.5m for 2014 to 2020 from the Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived, to be used in projects such as child poverty, homelessness or food banks.

There were initial plans in the UK to use this for school breakfast clubs in deprived areas, but these were not eligible for the funding.

But the House of Lords committee criticised the government for not finding "an alternative use for this money".

And the peers are concerned that in the event of a no-deal Brexit all the remaining money might have to be returned.

Lord Jay said "all the other EU countries have found ways to spend this on some of the most deprived people - apart from us".

He said the committee found it "frankly unbelievable" when public services faced budget pressures that money "had to be given back because a way hasn't been found of spending it".

Lord Boswell, chairman of the Lords EU Committee, has written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that this failure has wasted so much of the UK's allocation of funding.

Elsewhere in the EU, about 13 million people received assistance from this funding, with the most common support being in food aid.

The Home Office, responding to the committee's concerns, said the original plan to use the money for school breakfast clubs had faced "barriers" from eligibility rules and "extensive audit requirements, procurement requirements and administrative costs".

The Home Office says there are now plans to use funding for projects for young refugees or "potential victims of modern slavery, some of whom are unaccompanied children and young people".

Lord Jay said this was a "very good idea" - but he wanted assurances that it would be delivered.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Do we think the Guardian cartoon of Priti Patel is racist? 

I know Guardian would've deemed it racist and sexist, if it was done by someone else. There is an obvious connection with cows and Hindus.

I know one thing for sure. They would have never dared to draw a Muslim politician as a pig.

I was more offended by Neha Shah's piece in Guardian on British Indians.  Apparently, there can only be one acceptable kind of browns - the ones who support Labour. She also fails to highlight how Indians escaped persecution by Idi Amin's regime. They were given an ultimatum to leave the country.

And lastly, she ignores the main fact that Indians in UK tend to succeed because they have strong family ties; put great emphasis on education and have low involvement in organised crimes.

The article is hardly surprising, cause Guardian's coverage of India in the past few years has been shitty anyways.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think it needs to be taken in context. They’re talking about Patel and Johnson being Bullies if I’m not mistaken? Not read too much into it to be honest. However, if its been aimed at her religion........

I mean, they've done the same thing for both people. I'd deem it racist if it was just done on Patel... 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I mean, they've done the same thing for both people. I'd deem it racist if it was just done on Patel... 

Yeah I agree with this. They have to be careful though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 12:13, DeadLinesman said:

I think it needs to be taken in context. They’re talking about Patel and Johnson being Bullies if I’m not mistaken? Not read too much into it to be honest. However, if its been aimed at her religion........

On 09/03/2020 at 16:06, Stan said:

I agree, but you know it'd be classed by the likes of the Mirror and Guardian as racist if it was the other way around. 

On 02/04/2020 at 18:36, Stan said:

Government will get a lot of plus points here in announcing that NHS debt of £13bn+ will be written off. 

Will be interesting to see if that happens in Wales as well. 

• Subscriber

Starmer and Rayner probably the best combination. Starmer much more palatable than Corbyn to a wider audience but Rayner still gives the Momentum crowd a big voice without having control of the party. Glad to see Burgon get nowhere near winning the deputy leadership.

Apparently Long-Bailey and Nandy will be in the shadow cabinet anyway. I hope Jess Phillips is made a prominent figure as well.

On 04/04/2020 at 12:25, RandoEFC said:

Starmer and Rayner probably the best combination. Starmer much more palatable than Corbyn to a wider audience but Rayner still gives the Momentum crowd a big voice without having control of the party. Glad to see Burgon get nowhere near winning the deputy leadership.

Apparently Long-Bailey and Nandy will be in the shadow cabinet anyway. I hope Jess Phillips is made a prominent figure as well

yep just what we need in opposition the bloke who refused to prosecute Jimmy Savile & drove the disastrous second referendum policy. 
Tbh Labour we’re fucked either way a great dearth of talent, just increasingly becoming irrelevant 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

yep just what we need in opposition the bloke who refused to prosecute Jimmy Savile & drove the disastrous second referendum policy. 
Tbh Labour we’re fucked either way a great dearth of talent, just increasingly becoming irrelevant 

I don't know a huge amount about Keir Starmer but thinking that his second referendum idea is going to be relevant at an election in 5 year's time is a weird take that I've seen touted by a lot of Union Jack profile picture types on Twitter.

Brexit is done as an issue now. It'll be at least a decade before people realise what sovereignty is worth compared to imposing economic sanctions on themselves to make a deal with a demented reality TV star. The Murdoch media has plenty of time to dig more skeletons out of Starmer and his family's closets between now and the next election that the second referendum thing will be long forgotten.

Archived