talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

British Politics (non-Brexit)

football forum

If the political environment calms down Starmer has a great chance. He has the polished mannerisms that will win a lot of swing voters. It's a return to type. 

He'll win more votes from Lib Dems and Tories than what he will lose to the Greens.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Danny said:

People just want to move on and as much as I don’t see how we benefit from being out of the EU another referendum won’t work. Just need to make the best out of a bad situation now.

I don't think anyone has a "rejoin" referendum in the pipeline. Coronavirus will push this back as well as any economic shock resulting from leaving the EU will just blend in with the probably multi-year process it will take to fully recover from the economic impact of the pandemic. 

6 hours ago, Harvsky said:

If the political environment calms down Starmer has a great chance. He has the polished mannerisms that will win a lot of swing voters. It's a return to type. 

He'll win more votes from Lib Dems and Tories than what he will lose to the Greens.

Think you’re vastly overestimating his appeal, blokes boring. 

Don't know to much about the guy but from what I have read he is more of a soft left politician which is what I think labour needed. He seems like more of a leader than Corbyn which is good. Be interesting to see what ideas he has when the virus is over.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Think you’re vastly overestimating his appeal, blokes boring. 

It's great how you can bring the knives out for Starmer but when someone does it to a Tory they're obvs wrong xD

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Changing subject, has anyone heard anything about Cummings or Patel in the last few weeks?

Cummings went in to self isolation/quarantine didn't he? When he was seen running out the back of 10 Downing Street?? 

Patel has been very quiet. Not a peep from her. Odd considering she's home secretary. If the Housing secretary can come out and make statements you'd think someone responsible for internal affairs of the country could so too... 

10 hours ago, Stan said:

It's great how you can bring the knives out for Starmer but when someone does it to a Tory they're obvs wrong xD

Nah I’m just being honest, Starmer isn’t reinventing the wheel he’s a arch remainer who speaks in a monotone voice. He maybe component at his profession although the Savile thing will haunt him come a GE. 

what I meant with my comment to Harv is that Boris is that larger than life character that the common person likes especially after coronavirus. When he went into ICU the chav portion of my family (labour heartlands) we’re all over Facebook saying “pray for Boris” etc. 

My Mrs and her mom, (couldn’t describe or dissect a government policy with a gun to their heads) started texting each other about it because they “like Bo Jo and his Dad from GMTV” 

Boris occupies that middle ground and popular place in our society now, that’s an 80 seat majority and a breaking of the red wall for you. 

My sister on the other hand is a Corbynite who said firstly “it’s fake to get sympathy” these people make a lot of noise but the last election shows you how many of these people there are. 

It's all about timing. In 4 or 5 years if the dust has settled a large number of voters might just be looking for a bit of percieved competence and marginal gains which Starmer's image can present. 

Covid-19 could also benefit that image. He doesn't have to come out shouting about unification and attacking the Tories. The early tone will be set by the virus.

I think the conservatives will loose a lot of support because of the furlough cut of date. I missed it by 2 days even though the contract was agreed and there is concrete evidence of it. A lot of people aren't happy about it.

• Subscriber

Anyone seen these leaked reports from the Labour investigation into anti-semitism?

Basically looks like a load of the "centrist" Labour Party members were actively working against Corbyn and his team, and were actually gutted by the gains they made at the 2017 election. Also seems that one party member convinced Tom Watson, who was deputy leader at the time, to deliberately delay the expulsion of a member and time it to cause Jeremy Corbyn a bigger crisis. On the anti-semitism front, there seems to be suggestion that some party members allowed it to fester when they could have taken action because it was working against Corbyn. I'm typing up broad strokes from what I read earlier so if you're interested go and look it up for better detail, I imagine there will be a lot of coverage of it during the coming week.

Madness. I know people have issues with the "hard left" Momentum-type Labour members that 'took over' the party during Corbyn's premiership being more interested in controlling the party than actually getting the party into power. I'm not saying they're wrong but it seems like some of the moderate Labour Party members have been just as guilty of it, if not more.

A big job for Starmer and his team to deal with the fallout of this and the factional infighting on a general level.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Anyone seen these leaked reports from the Labour investigation into anti-semitism?

Basically looks like a load of the "centrist" Labour Party members were actively working against Corbyn and his team, and were actually gutted by the gains they made at the 2017 election. Also seems that one party member convinced Tom Watson, who was deputy leader at the time, to deliberately delay the expulsion of a member and time it to cause Jeremy Corbyn a bigger crisis. On the anti-semitism front, there seems to be suggestion that some party members allowed it to fester when they could have taken action because it was working against Corbyn. I'm typing up broad strokes from what I read earlier so if you're interested go and look it up for better detail, I imagine there will be a lot of coverage of it during the coming week.

Madness. I know people have issues with the "hard left" Momentum-type Labour members that 'took over' the party during Corbyn's premiership being more interested in controlling the party than actually getting the party into power. I'm not saying they're wrong but it seems like some of the moderate Labour Party members have been just as guilty of it, if not more.

A big job for Starmer and his team to deal with the fallout of this and the factional infighting on a general level.

Some of the stuff I've heard about is embarrassing. Abbott having to go to the loos to bawl her eyes out and Butler being targeted as well is not nice to read. 

Corbyn got fucked over from all sides. I feel for him in that respect. Its one thing getting pelters from the opposition party, let alone within your own party to this scale. 

You're right about the last bit. Starmer has a huge job on his hands. Even then that's an understatement to be honest. A bit of stability wouldn't go amiss. It begs the question of what else has gone on behind the scenes and what else could be leaked, timely so, in future. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not really surprised tbh, the party seemed at odds with each other since he became the party leader. It's embarrassing for them the infighting was so bad they decided it was more important to wrangle control of the party from one another than work together to wrangle control of the country from the Tories. But I don't think it's surprising at all - I can't remember a party leader that lacked so much support from their party from day 1.

I think it speaks volumes about the party members that are more focused on party leadership than winning elections, though. Massive for Starmer, because it'd take big action from any party leader of such a dysfunctional looking party to bring unity in the aftermath of this news.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Massive for Starmer, because it'd take big action from any party leader of such a dysfunctional looking party to bring unity in the aftermath of this news.

Unity is impossible, the question is whether it is necessary or not. 

Roughly speaking, a third of the Labour party were anti-Corbyn, based on who voted for Owen Smith, they are near enough now all pro-Starmer. Probably around a quarter of the Labour party are true Corbynites, based on voting for RLB. Everyone else are flip floppers of sorts. 

If the quarter of Corbynites have no people in positions of power, which I expect they have very few, then Starmer doesn't need to make pleas for their support. He just needs to keep the powerful flip floppers stable, which Corbyn could not and needed more of.

Corbynites, who didn't like Starmer in the first place are turning up the heat on him in the last 24 hours. Claims he buried this report and criticism of his initial response to investigate who the whistleblower is. 

6 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Unity is impossible, the question is whether it is necessary or not. 

Roughly speaking, a third of the Labour party were anti-Corbyn, based on who voted for Owen Smith, they are near enough now all pro-Starmer. Probably around a quarter of the Labour party are true Corbynites, based on voting for RLB. Everyone else are flip floppers of sorts. 

If the quarter of Corbynites have no people in positions of power, which I expect they have very few, then Starmer doesn't need to make pleas for their support. He just needs to keep the powerful flip floppers stable, which Corbyn could not and needed more of.

Corbynites, who didn't like Starmer in the first place are turning up the heat on him in the last 24 hours. Claims he buried this report and criticism of his initial response to investigate who the whistleblower is. 

Isn’t keeping flip floppers stable basically creating unity? Rather than the disjoint bullshit labour was under Corbyn.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Isn’t keeping flip floppers stable basically creating unity? Rather than the disjoint bullshit labour was under Corbyn.

Could be but I'd say that's not unity that's using flip floppers to defeat the opposition, as that opposition will never change.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Could be but I'd say that's not unity that's using flip floppers to defeat the opposition, as that opposition will never change.

I guess it's more the image of unity than actual unity. Which I think is realistic of any big political party - there's always going to be factions in the big parties and they'll have their differences.

Archived