talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The 2019/20 Race for Europe

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see your image but this might be similar to a thread I was contemplating creating...

"Will there be a clear gap to 7th from the usual top 6?"

My thought is this year Chelsea and United at least could well be flipping around between 5th and 10th, and reasonably I could see Leicester and a few others in contention for a spot towards the top 4 this year.

If be really unhappy if we didn't get in the champions League this season. I think (up untill his final two seasons where he really lost touch) Wenger would get us in it this year so we really should be getting in it this year I think if we are to improve.

At the moment, Man Utd and Chelsea look like they can be taken advantage of. Arsenal and Tottenham haven't been the most convincing either but I don't think their problems are as drastic as potentially falling out of the top 6.

I think if Everton can get the consistency sorted, particularly against teams like Villa, they’ve got to be a shout for Top 6, need Kean to get amongst the goals but the early signs particularly against Wolves are promising 

I think we could see a continuation of last season, where there were a plethora of teams who showed promise for 7th place only to be dogged by inconsistency throughout the season, but this time for 6th place. 

Everton’s away form is not good. Five wins since Silva took over away from home isn’t good enough and less so when you consider two of the five were against Cardiff and Huddersfield. It looks as though their poor away record may well continue, having picked up one point from Palace and Villa. Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton and Southampton as their next four away are pretty big games, IMO, they’ve got to be looking at improvement from those games and look at a couple of clean sheets.

Leicester have started well and their next few games should tell us a bit more about them. They’ve got United, Tottenham and Liverpool in their next four games. 

Wolves were a team I was wary of prior to the season starting purely to see how they coped with the rigours of European Football and the Thursday-Sunday cycle they were entering. Still early to write anyone off, though they need improvement and soon. 

West Ham have started well. They have that cliché of a good team on paper and it was always going to be interesting to see how their new players, especially Sebastian Haller, with the price tag and having to play as a lone frontman, was going to do. I think they’ll just be West Ham and will be up and down all throughout the season. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton and Southampton as their next four away are pretty big games, IMO, they’ve got to be looking at improvement from those games and look at a couple of clean sheets.

Agree with this. A good sample of our away issues last season with the exception of Burnley where we won 5-1 in one of those anomalous festive period results. Bournemouth away last season we went 2-0 up and drew. Brighton and Southampton were both utterly insipid away performances. I still expect that we'll do better on the road this season but time will tell.

• Subscriber
On 06/09/2019 at 00:38, Dan said:

I'll be gutted if we go and roll over at Old Trafford after the start we've both made - neither start has been that big a surprise either.

This is exactly what did happen. Total bottlejob from us. We barely threatened at all.

I'm not that convinced by us so far to be honest.

• Subscriber

Total change in attitude from us at the weekend. That was a result and performance far more befitting of a team that has European aspirations.

Nobody outside of the top two is looking that dangerous either. I still think I fancy Arsenal's firepower to get them a Champions League spot. Chelsea for all they're quite exciting to watch just aren't winning enough and they're conceding far too many - only Norwich and Watford have let in more and they're still only 11th. Tottenham are the bizarre one to me, they're in awful form and have been for ages now to the point it can't just be brushed under the carpet. I'd still be inclined to put them above the others but I'm more and more questioning why, it's gut feeling as much as anything now.

Manchester United will sack Solskjaer as a bottom half side is my prediction and that's not a wind up either. They're an utter shambles, massively lacking in the attacking areas in-particular. Lukaku had his faults but he was their best centre forward and they basically sold him without a replacement. How they pick up from this, I'm unsure, but I feel like they've used up their honeymoon period a bit. Who would actually come in and fix this mess instantly? It will take years.

Quote me on this but I will be disappointed if we finish below them this season. They're everything I thought they would be and we've shown some positives for sure and I think we can get a lot better yet as well.

• Administrator

3rd.

10 points from 20.

One more point better off than where we were in 2015/16. Already played Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool out of the 'traditional top 6' and gained 4 out of them. Perhaps should have even got more from 3 of those games.

In such a good position right now and hope we can continue to capitalise on it. Next few fixtures are Palace, Arsenal and Brighton. Those first 2 could really cement our position in top 4 going in to December...

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Imagine United, Spurs and Arsenal all missing out on top 4 o.O

one or two of them might miss out on Europe altogether. 

Sky wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Imagine United, Spurs and Arsenal all missing out on top 4 o.O

one or two of them might miss out on Europe altogether. 

Two of them have to miss out every season anyway on the top four. It would be a nice change to see Leicester in the CL again and the likes of Sheffield United or Newcastle nick a Europa League spot.

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

Sheffield United being 5th at Christmas is nothing short of remarkable.

Garth Crooks, BBC Sport football expert on Final Score

On Sheffield United's survival hopes: "They're going to struggle. They lack potency at the front and their style of football is quite basic for the Premier League. They're going to work hard and really frustrate teams and have a go but I can't see them surviving with this quality of football."

Archived