• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are you romantic?

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'm quite a romantic in that I appreciate the connection and the little things in a relationship but I'm a private romantic, not a public one. You'll see me dead before I hire a string quartet and propose in a fancy restaurant.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You'll see me dead before I hire a string quartet and propose in a fancy restaurant.

To be fair I always thought that's more attention seeking than a sign of affection or being romantic. 

Isn't the idea of 'Romance' a bit out of touch with modern thinking especially these days in the cold hard cut and thrust of dating apps and quick one night stands?? 

The idea of someone rocking up on a white horse to whisk the woman away into the sunset like a mills and boon novel does make me laugh, If you replaced 'Romantic' with 'Doing Something Nice' then yes, I do that, or at least try to do that.. I suppose for some the idea of Romance is gazing across a table during an intimate dinner for two while for others its a long walk along a secluded beach at sunset... Either way, or however you do it it's the gesture and spending a nice time with someone that counts, whether or not the other person perceives that to be a romantic moment or not is entirely down to them, you can but try.. 

Interestingly you will note once you have been with someone a long while that the well meaning 'Romantic' gesture gets twisted over time.. I used to buy the wife flowers/roses etc in our early days and they were normally well received but these days if I buy her flowers it's apparently an indicator that I must have done something wrong and she is getting them as some sort of hidden apology of some kind.. xD That sort of thing does not inspire further flower buying I can tell you.. If you asked the missus and the kids if I was romantic they would laugh at you.. so easy to forget all the things you try to do and say when they are drowned out by noise of the washing machine... 

If you like Romance though this was probably my all time favourite Romantic novel.. 

I wrecked your toilet

Depends on your definition of romantic? Is organising a bottle of champagne and chocolates waiting at a hotel for your partner after 6 months nice or romantic? 

I have done lots of little nice things that I have never ever done before in my life. Upto her to describe it as romantic or not, I think. 

As for @RandoEFC‘S public proposal thing, agreed. If I ever got married I don’t know if I’d even want the attention thst comes with it so eloping probably wins for me 😂

• Subscriber

Coming up to 45 years married this Dec so I am still an old romantic son of a bitch still with my own hair and going grey with 3 false teeth at the top and 4 at the bottom, but me and the wife both still kiss & cuddle, I still get a kick or a knee in the bollocks nowadays if I wind up the wife but I just call that love ..sigh :x 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cf97be07ade30719b2

2 hours ago, nudge said:

To be fair I always thought that's more attention seeking than a sign of affection or being romantic. 

Agreed. Like those who post random lovey messages or happy birthday messages to their Young kids on Facebook.... 

Very romantic, although not one of these that feels the need to broadcast it across social media etc. It's for her and only her.

We both been working a lot recently so we decided to make time for more dating by working through our own version of A to Z of dates, alternating each go.

Have to say, some great ideas so far.

I hate PDA and I don't believe in grand gestures like surprise dinners on a beach, etc. 

My idea of being romantic, or being nice, is looking out for my wife and her health and well being. So you do little things like help her out with housework. Basically do your share, and hers if she is unwell or busy with office work. Periodically make time for the two of us (like a small vacation, movie night, etc). .

Also, the perks of being married to a Star wars nerd is that you gift her an action figure, Tshirt or DVD of the franchise, and all is forgiven.

• Administrator

Yes. Like @RandoEFC more privately so than public.

I'll more than likely try and be a bit spontaneous and give my girlfriend a surprise here and there. Thankfully she is more the kind of person to prefer experiences and memories as opposed to material gifts. 

I'd much rather go somewhere new and explore places we've never been before, try out different restaurants and bars then stick to the same old places. Not too fussed if the rest of the world doesn't see it or doesn't know about it. Every now and then I'll post something on Instagram/Facebook but it's not the end of the world if not. 

Archived