talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA The Best Award

football forum

Im on mobile so I’ll post these manually.

Coach finalists: Guardiola, Klopp, Poch

Player finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Van Dijk

Women’s player finalist: Lucy Bronze, Megan Raphinoe, Alex Morgan

Women’s coach finalists: Sarina Wiegman, Phil Neville, Jim Ellis

Women’s keeper finalists: Hendig Lindahl, Endler, Venneendaal

Keeper finalists: Alisson, Ederson, Ter Stegen

Puskas: Messi, Juanfer Quintero, Zsori

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion on the ones I know about

Coach

These are good choices. I would have liked to see Gareca reach the finals because his work is honestly miracle-like, but given we didn’t win the final I think these 3 are fair. Klopp for me.

Player

I would give it to Van Dijk. It’s been too long since a defender won it, let alone a non-RM or Barca player. I honestly think he’s one of the best defenders of our generation. Liverpool’s transformation under Klopp was completed once he was added into the side. His influence at Liverpool is undeniable and they wouldn’t be the same side without him. Messi deserves a spot I think but Ronaldo has little business being there. He was good but he was unable to provide a proper influence on his sides to actually change a situation. I would have put Salah or Mane there. Even Son.

Keeper

even though im not his biggest fan, there’s no question about it, Alisson has to win it. Won the CL being a pivotal part of his team and only conceded 1 goal in the Copa America winning run and that was via a penalty. Ter Stegen may be fundamentally better, but I think Alisson not winning it would be a farce.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Are these new awards or old awards with a new name?

I have no fucking clue! Ever since the Ballon D'or got revamped its been a confusing mess xD

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Three Real Madrid players in the best XI despite their team being absolute garbage for the last 12 months

I bet a few of them are genuinely surprised they made it. Marcelo especially. 

———————Allison———————

TAA—DeLigt—VVD—Robertson

—DeJong——Fernandinho—

—————B.Silva——————

Messi——————Mane

————-Ronaldo————-

Just now, Cicero said:

I bet a few of them are genuinely surprised they made it. Marcelo especially. 

———————Allison———————

TAA—DeLigt—VVD—Robertson

—DeJong——Fernandinho—

—————B.Silva——————

Messi——————Mane

————-Ronaldo————-

Yeah. It's mad that no City players get in too by the way

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well yeah, Cristiano had NO business being there. No doubt he's still one of the best in the world but he hadn't done anything to warrant a top 3. 

Messi winning it was a joke too but compared to Ronaldo I can live with it.

On 02/09/2019 at 08:26, Grizzly21 said:

Im on mobile so I’ll post these manually.

Coach finalists: Guardiola, Klopp, Poch

Player finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Van Dijk

Women’s player finalist: Lucy Bronze, Megan Raphinoe, Alex Morgan

Women’s coach finalists: Sarina Wiegman, Phil Neville, Jim Ellis

Women’s keeper finalists: Hendig Lindahl, Endler, Venneendaal

Keeper finalists: Alisson, Ederson, Ter Stegen

Puskas: Messi, Juanfer Quintero, Zsori

This made me laugh. Haha

30 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Well yeah, Cristiano had NO business being there. No doubt he's still one of the best in the world but he hadn't done anything to warrant a top 3. 

Messi winning it was a joke too but compared to Ronaldo I can live with it.

Messi winning it isn't a joke at all to be honest. I said it right after the Champions League Final that he'd win it and so it has been. Looks like this time a season's worth of football hasn't gone amiss. He was absolutely astronomical last season and almost carried the team by himself to winning La Liga (European Golden Boot Winner again without even playing up front)' the semi-final of the Champions League and the final of the Copa del Rey.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Messi winning it isn't a joke at all to be honest. I said it right after the Champions League Final that he'd win it and so it has been. Looks like this time a season's worth of football hasn't gone amiss. He was absolutely astronomical last season and almost carried the team by himself to winning La Liga (European Golden Boot Winner again without even playing up front)' the semi-final of the Champions League and the final of the Copa del Rey.

Look at my tweet above - is it about trophies or who is truly the best? Messi winning it is hypocrisy from FIFA. If it was really about the best, Messi should have won it every year with the exception of 2013/14. It's become a popularity contest sadly. Van Dijk has been phenomenal and single handedly tranformed Liverpool into a CL winning force.

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

Look at my tweet above - is it about trophies or who is truly the best? Messi winning it is hypocrisy from FIFA. If it was really about the best, Messi should have won it every year with the exception of 2013/14. It's become a popularity contest sadly. Van Dijk has been phenomenal and single handedly tranformed Liverpool into a CL winning force.

Of course he should've won it almost every year except for when he shouldn't have won it mate. That's how things should work... The award should be as it says on the name it's been given. Everyone was going on about how VVD was going to win it and I said that wouldn't occur... Infact for me Mané was Liverpool's best player and possibly the second best in the world last year. Very underrated. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Of course he should've won it almost every year except for when he shouldn't have won it mate. That's how things should work... The award should be as it says on the name it's been given. Everyone was going on about how VVD was going to win it and I said that wouldn't occur... Infact for me Mané was Liverpool's best player and possibly the second best in the world last year. Very underrated. 

Well FIFA seems to change its basis on a yearly basis. No consistency or regulation in this award. For me the only year Messi didn't deserve it was 2013 or 2014, where he underperformed as Ronaldo was on fire.

I agree that Mane is very underrated and one of Liverpools best BUT for me he's not got quite the influence Van Dijk has.

• Subscriber

Real Madrid gettng three players in the team of the year while Manchester City get none is why I think any arguments that consist of "never made so and so team of the year" are actually quite weak.

Just now, Dan said:

Real Madrid gettng three players in the team of the year while Manchester City get none is why I don't think any arguments that consist of "never made so and so team of the year" are actually quite weak.

To be fair, I can only see 2 City players getting into the team - De Bruyne and Aguero. That said, I think I've seen more of City this season than last, so I could just be talking out of my arse but from what I have seen this year and what I've read, it's no different to last that De Bruyne and Aguero are the 2 stars.

Would you have put Kante over Modric? Tough to say but I don't know who else would go there. I definitely wouldn't have Luka in there though.

Archived