talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA The Best Award

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

To be fair, I can only see 2 City players getting into the team - De Bruyne and Aguero. That said, I think I've seen more of City this season than last, so I could just be talking out of my arse but from what I have seen this year and what I've read, it's no different to last that De Bruyne and Aguero are the 2 stars.

Would you have put Kante over Modric? Tough to say but I don't know who else would go there. I definitely wouldn't have Luka in there though.

De Bruyne shouldn't be in it because he was injured for most of last season. Bernardo and Sterling had better cases than those two.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Can you imagine Messi or Ronaldo voting for a genuine rival for the award? Van Dijk has a real humility and modesty about him. 

Messi put Ronaldo in 2nd tbf. 

Not sure who else Ronaldo voted for, mind. 

Forget Messi, Ronaldo etc, lets recognise the fact that Leeds United are the fairest team in all the world.

You can see the impact it's had on the football world immediately.

Should we go up, Mbappe has already agreed to join us given we're role models for the game.

IMG_20190924_005605.thumb.jpg.0def34ff0e7758cb22c60c6e97e73596.jpg

My top 5

1. Van Dijk

2. Sadio Mane

3. Son Heung Min

4. Mohamed Salah

5. Lionel Messi

Some might call me out for that but in terms of who influenced the CL winner and finalist I'd say those 4 players are ahead of Messi.

Just now, Cicero said:

Except it doesn’t just look at CL. That award is specifically UEFA 

What do you mean? As in leagues as well or European Nations League?

If that's the case I'd put it as a Liverpool sweep and then 4th or 5th would be a toss up between Son and Messi. Son did so well last year to help Spurs get to that final when you consider Spurs have a rough history and a weaker squad than Barcelona.

The whole thing is a massive contradiction though. Messi won the award despite not being the most influential and based on individual play alone, where as Megan Raphinoe won for her World Cup influence and her equal pay campaign, despite only starting 1 club match all year. 

9 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

What do you mean? As in leagues as well or European Nations League?

If that's the case I'd put it as a Liverpool sweep and then 4th or 5th would be a toss up between Son and Messi. Son did so well last year to help Spurs get to that final when you consider Spurs have a rough history and a weaker squad than Barcelona.

This is a fifa award. Which looks at everything. 

The Uefa awards a month ago was specifically for CL 

Just now, Cicero said:

This is a fifa award. Which looks at everything. 

The Uefa awards a month ago was specifically for CL 

I'd still have Van Dijk ahead of Messi. It's not like his league campaign was bad and he got to the Nations League final, where as Messi only showed up in one game of the Copa America.

Mane and Salah are tough to read really but Mane was pretty important in Senegal's AFCON run this year.

I'd still have Van Dijk ahead of Messi. It's not like his league campaign was bad and he got to the Nations League final, where as Messi only showed up in one game of the Copa America.

Mane and Salah are tough to read really but Mane was pretty important in Senegal's AFCON run this year.

Barca would’ve genuinely finished 3rd without Messi. Barca have been the most uncompelling, yet Messi’s influence has been greater than ever. 

I’d say Van Dijk deserves the Uefa one but Messi deserves this and the Balon d’Or

10 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Can you imagine Messi or Ronaldo voting for a genuine rival for the award? Van Dijk has a real humility and modesty about him. 

Messi was also by far and away the best player Van Dijk went up against last season. Even when we had that comeback at Anfield, everything Barcelona created came through Messi. And at Camp Nou everything came through Messi - I think it's understandable he'd vote for Messi all things considered.

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

Barca would’ve genuinely finished 3rd without Messi. Barca have been the most uncompelling, yet Messi’s influence has been greater than ever. 

I’d say Van Dijk deserves the Uefa one but Messi deserves this and the Balon d’Or

Bugger off, Van Dijk deserves the Balon d’Or. 

• Administrator

Interesting that Ronaldo has never voted for Messi. Messi has reciprocated voting twice for Ronaldo. But Messi didn't vote for any Barca team-mate in 2018.

Why didn't Ronaldo vote in 2011/12?

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Interesting that Ronaldo has never voted for Messi. Messi has reciprocated voting twice for Ronaldo. But Messi didn't vote for any Barca team-mate in 2018.

Why didn't Ronaldo vote in 2011/12?

Wasn’t in top 3 and/or didn’t captain the national side. 

Unpopular opinion, but Van de Beek was better than Frenkie de Jong last year.

As good as Van de Beek was, it's an unpopular opinion because it's absolute rubbish mate.

It comes under the term: "arguing for argument's sake", "trying to be difficultly different", "Wanting to be smart" or "off your head". 

Just now, SirBalon said:

As good as Van de Beek was, it's an unpopular opinion because it's absolute rubbish mate.

It comes under the term: "arguing for argument's sake", "trying to be difficultly different", "Wanting to be smart" or "off your head". 

It doesn't, Frenkie De Jong is class but I liked Van de Beek better last season at Ajax, at least when the Champions League is concerned! 

Archived