talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 5-3 Kosovo - Tuesday 10th September, 2019

football forum

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve looked sensational on the counter against what is a poor International side. Still, you beat what’s in front of you and we can only be pleased with how clinical we’ve been. 

Defensively, we’ve been all over the place. We’ve lacked shape, composure and dare I say, quality, amongst a few things. Got to give credit for Kosovo for the pressure they’ve put on players and the goals they’ve scored but they’re totally avoidable from an England perspective. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

No cap for Maddison or Mings then. 

Pathetic from Southgate.

Not even from a biased point of view either. Both were deserving of some minutes in this round of matches.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope we sign Sancho and not any of the other English clubs

Why would sign any of the other English clubs? Not sure clubs can sign other clubs?

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why would sign any of the other English clubs? Not sure clubs can sign other clubs?

You know what I meant xD

Thought that was a decent night out for the England side... other than the players that made those mistakes and Barkley, who still looks like the same promising player he was when he left Everton... but still hasn't kicked on. I think Mount should be preferred to him for Chelsea and England. The CBs just have to do better for their mistakes, not really acceptable from them and they're more senior. Rice I just don't think is ready to be in an England side just yet.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pathetic from Southgate.

Not even from a biased point of view either. Both were deserving of some minutes in this round of matches.

Don’t think Mings really has a case.

Maddison more so as he’s had a year and a few games of consistent Prem performances but still as they’re qualifiers I’m not so fussed. His time will come 

• Subscriber

That was an absolutely mad game. The front three should be our front three for a good 5/6 years yet. They're all excellent. Sterling has become a world class player for me now.

The defence, however, was pitiful and quite frankly we were a shambles at times tonight, and it isn't the first time. I think we'll end up going back to a back three when we play anyone decent.

Just remember I was bitter about Maguire leaving and that's why I said he's not this top class defender. Wasn't at all linked to how he defends.

• The title was changed to England 5-3 Kosovo - Tuesday 10th September, 2019
27 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s not a box of cereal, you can’t just hand out caps for free. 

No but how can you just players if you don’t give them opportunities? 

Maddison really needed 20-30mins tonight, we saw mount the other night. Smacked of the old “they play for Chelsea so must be great” attitude. 

• Subscriber

As for Maddison... I think he doesn't really fit what Southgate wants. He deserves the call up more than Mount without a shadow of a doubt based on what's happened at club level but I think it's a case of being the right player at the wrong time at the minute and the opposite for Mount. To bring him on when 5-3 up after being 5-1 up is risky stuff.

He's a great talent but he's not really fitting and I got the feeling that was the case with Southgate a little while ago, reading between the lines.

He is however very unlucky to miss out to Barkley and it really isn't hard to see where the accusations of big club bias come from.

It's mad really though to set up with Rice & Henderson in midfield at home to Kosovo and ship three.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

As for Maddison... I think he doesn't really fit what Southgate wants. He deserves the call up more than Mount without a shadow of a doubt based on what's happened at club level but I think it's a case of being the right player at the wrong time at the minute and the opposite for Mount. To bring him on when 5-3 up after being 5-1 up is risky stuff.

He's a great talent but he's not really fitting and I got the feeling that was the case with Southgate a little while ago, reading between the lines.

It's mad really though to set up with Rice & Henderson in midfield at home to Kosovo and ship three.

Thought defensively we were abysmal at times in the second half with shit passes, also felt we were static once we got to the final third after we broke. 

We broke very quickly but then Kane, Sterling & Sancho just kind of stood there and we tried to be too clever. Commentary went on about a spirited Kosovo but reality was second half we were poor

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Thought defensively we were abysmal at times in the second half with shit passes, also felt we were static once we got to the final third after we broke. 

We broke very quickly but then Kane, Sterling & Sancho just kind of stood there and we tried to be too clever. Commentary went on about a spirited Kosovo but reality was second half we were poor

I think to set up with a relativiely negative midfield yet still look so poor at the back is really quite worrying. I agree with those in here about Rice - really do not get the fuss at all with him. People get way too ahead of themselves nowadays. @Machado made a great point when Atletico bought Joao Felix that teams are so desperate for that ego trip of finding the next wonderkid that they will pay absurd money for players who haven't done anything at all. Rice being linked for ninety million is fucking barmy.

It was similar in Portugal in the summer too against the Dutch. That we only let in 3 and got it to extra time was a miracle.

Maguire is a good footballer but not really good enough to compensate for the risks he takes. He's not a top defender and anyone who tries to compare him to van Dijk is mental.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Kane actually got in to so many good positions but they failed to pass to him - agree they tried to be too clever. There were plenty of opportunities there if they weren’t trying so hard. 

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

No but how can you just players if you don’t give them opportunities? 

Maddison really needed 20-30mins tonight, we saw mount the other night. Smacked of the old “they play for Chelsea so must be great” attitude. 

The attitude of giving players minutes for no other reason than giving them minutes because they’re in the England set-up baffles me. England get together about four times during a football season and play approximately eight games, so there’s much less time to see your best squad and to get what you think is your best team together on a pitch. Giving players, some who aren’t even classed as what you’d call a squad player if this were club level, twenty minutes here and there for little reason other than to give them minutes is just wrong and I’m glad Southgate doesn’t take that approach. 

Southgate stated the other week that he’s not sure where Maddison fits in to his side. It’s little surprise, based off that comment, that he went for Mount, even for seven minutes tonight. How he works out where Maddison fits in is an interesting debate but at International level, Southgate isn’t blessed with the time that a club coach is to work out such dilemmas. 

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The attitude of giving players minutes for no other reason than giving them minutes because they’re in the England set-up baffles me. England get together about four times during a football season and play approximately eight games, so there’s much less time to see your best squad and to get what you think is your best team together on a pitch. Giving players, some who aren’t even classed as what you’d call a squad player if this were club level, twenty minutes here and there for little reason other than to give them minutes is just wrong and I’m glad Southgate doesn’t take that approach. 

Southgate stated the other week that he’s not sure where Maddison fits in to his side. It’s little surprise, based off that comment, that he went for Mount, even for seven minutes tonight. How he works out where Maddison fits in is an interesting debate but at International level, Southgate isn’t blessed with the time that a club coach is to work out such dilemmas. 

I agree with this as well. Yeah, it's a qualifier against Kosovo - but we're looking to get the job done and qualify as early as possible. Can we do that while giving more people chances? Yeah, I'd also argue that's what Southgate's done today - we've seen a bit of rotation. Maddison and Mings have earned their spot in the national team on form - but they haven't earned the right to play just from being called up. They're on the fringes, and it lets them know if they keep their form up (or improve on their form) they'll get a chance to make it in this England side.

If it's a friendly, yeah I'd want to see Maddison and Mings both playing. But here we're looking to just get the 3 points and say "job done" and even though it's just Kosovo... we can see that just a few mistakes and another side can capitalise and put us under pressure. Would we have reacted the same way to going down early from that terrible Keane mistake if we didn't have Sterling, Kane and Sancho out there? Who knows.

I find it particularly hard to criticise giving Mount an opportunity over Maddison, even if Maddison offers us something a bit different - Mount came on and essentially immediately helped create a good chance for Rashford. Seems like a substitution worth making there - imo. Especially if Mount fits into his preferred tactics better than Maddison does.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

How does he work out where Maddison fits in the side if he doesn't give him minutes when you're 5-1 up at half-time against a Kosovo side?

If he needs to still work out where he fits, but has no intention of playing him, why call him up?

For what it's worth, I actually don't mind Southgate and willing to be much more patient than others when it comes to him managing England. I like that he gave Mount some time on the pitch.

• Subscriber

I just don't think he really thinks he's as good as a lot of others do. I can see flaws in Maddison but he's also unlucky. I do hope he doesn't think he needs to leave us to get in the England team - that's the main concern for me personally.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with this as well. Yeah, it's a qualifier against Kosovo - but we're looking to get the job done and qualify as early as possible. Can we do that while giving more people chances? Yeah, I'd also argue that's what Southgate's done today - we've seen a bit of rotation. Maddison and Mings have earned their spot in the national team on form - but they haven't earned the right to play just from being called up. They're on the fringes, and it lets them know if they keep their form up (or improve on their form) they'll get a chance to make it in this England side.

If it's a friendly, yeah I'd want to see Maddison and Mings both playing. But here we're looking to just get the 3 points and say "job done" and even though it's just Kosovo... we can see that just a few mistakes and another side can capitalise and put us under pressure. Would we have reacted the same way to going down early from that terrible Keane mistake if we didn't have Sterling, Kane and Sancho out there? Who knows.

I find it particularly hard to criticise giving Mount an opportunity over Maddison, even if Maddison offers us something a bit different - Mount came on and essentially immediately helped create a good chance for Rashford. Seems like a substitution worth making there - imo. Especially if Mount fits into his preferred tactics better than Maddison does.

The problem there is this falls to bits when you let non-performers like Barkley start. It undermines the idea it's a meritocracy.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

How did we concede three??? Course an Everton player was involved for one 

Jadon Sancho is going to be our best player very soon 

The most bizarre bit for me is we did this with a relatively negative midfield. If we'd gone say, Rice - Maddison - Mount you would understand a 5-3, but that one?

Keane and Maguire both have an error in them. Neither are that commanding either. We lack a real defensive organiser as well as a controlling midfield player.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived