Scotland vs Russia

Monday 9th September, 2019
Russia vs Kazakhstan
San Marino vs Cyprus
Scotland vs Belgium

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland take the lead against Russia, McGinn scores a nice goal on 11 minutes. Scotland started very strongly in the first 10 minutes, but since McGinn's goal, Russia have stepped up their game and have been on the offensive.

Scotland throwing everything at Russia, trying to find the equaliser. The Russian goalkeeper Guilherme has looked suspect, I am not sure why Andrey Lunev doesn't start, he's surely the best Russian goalkeeper since Akinfeev retired from the national team.

Final result, Scotland 1-2 Russia. Hard luck to the Scots and well done to the Russians. Scotland will really have to improve their performances now in this group if they want to qualify for the Euros. Qualifying is a big ask in my opinion after this result.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Michael said:

Their defence looked very vulnerable today. Clarke doesn't seem to be the ideal manager for the Scottish national team.

It's just really basic stuff they're getting wrong, like tracking players

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

Yes, they are ok going forward, but their defensive play left a lot to be desired. 

They look shit. But considering Charlie Mulgrew is playing at 34, says a lot

I think I'm now resigned to the reality that I'm not going to see my team at a major tournament in my lifetime. 

Not to blame the result on any individual, but I don't get why McBurnie is playing, when he is on record saying he doesn't like playing for Scotland, and he has never not been absolutely dogshit in a Scotland shirt. He's a fucking target man with zero presence physically, zero sense of how to lay the ball off and link-up, and a poor goalscoring record. Watching an intelligent centre forward like Dzyuba have a stormer just made it even more glaring. 

Who actually gains from this arrangement. Just fucking drop him and never select him again, and everyone's happy. 

I'd even rather play some attacking midfielder like Christie or Armstrong through the middle with Forrest and Fraser as split strikers. 

Collectively, Clarke made his name as a guy that gets his team in a good settled block and is hard to break down, which sounded ideal. But against a team which is happy to go direct, and without any particularly reliable CBs, it's just suicidal to be passive defensively. 

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Their defence looked very vulnerable today. Clarke doesn't seem to be the ideal manager for the Scottish national team.

The back four, apart from Robertson, is the glaring weakness for Scotland. There some decent options in midfield and in attacking positions. But a lack of any real quality at central defence and right back is evident for everyone to see.

I think Scotland have really got it wrong with Clarke. I said before I thought Moyes would have been the best choice and still think that is the case. I don't think Clarke has done anything Moyes couldn't in the Scottish league. Scotland still have a chance through the play offs so they have to prepare for that. They won't get out the group so have to use the games to figure out their best team.

@Inverted @ScoRoss would you except a foreign manager if it helped you develop and maybe get to a tournament? I know it's nice to have managers from your own country and the problems are a lot deeper than that. However Scotland appear to be going backwards not forwards at the moment and maybe you would benefit from one. I know it didn't work out before but there are plenty of good managers out there who could help Scotland.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Inverted @ScoRoss would you except a foreign manager if it helped you develop and maybe get to a tournament? I know it's nice to have managers from your own country and the problems are a lot deeper than that. However Scotland appear to be going backwards not forwards at the moment and maybe you would benefit from one. I know it didn't work out before but there are plenty of good managers out there who could help Scotland.

Absofuckinglutely. 

There was a period where Scottish managers were generally high-standard but that's long gone. Clarke is actually a good coach, but limited and I'm not sure he suits our squad. 

The reason we go for Scots only isn't because of Berti Vogts or whatever, but because the SFA can't be arsed to go looking for other candidates. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived