talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League To Revert Back To Old Transfer Window

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Preferred it as it is as it stopped clubs panicking, including ourselves, after the season is nearly 3 weeks old. 

Although given that ours ends early and European ones don't meant it could still screw up some clubs after the season starts. 

It would have been nice if European windows followed suit. Makes sense that the window shuts for everyone before the season starts. 

1 hour ago, agenthenry69 said:

I actually agree with this. I'm confused why the premier league cuts so early? I get it's before the season starts but I don't get that leagues of our level, like serie A, La liga etc get longer.

The UK went out on its own and broke away from convention and alignment with the EU whilst most on the continent looked on aghast. They stubbornly stood out on that limb in the cold for a couple of years stubbornly believing they'd be better off, but predictably have come to realise it's more fun and cosier to be in with the majority so will meekly return hat in hand to rejoin their Continental friends and pretend the whole sorry episode never happened. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Harry said:

The UK went out on its own and broke away from convention and alignment with the EU. They stubbornly stood out on that limb in the cold for a couple of years on their own thinking they'd be better off, but predictably have come to realise it's more fun and cosier to be in with the majority so will meekly return hat in hand to rejoin their Continental friends and pretend the whole sorry episode never happened. :ph34r:

This seems familiar for some reason... hmm.

With the way transfers have become so complicated and detailed these days and some even taking months of negotiations, it was ridiculous not to get everyone onside in which is a good idea in theory before going out alone and shooting one's self in the foot. You stop being able to sign and an array of clubs can pinch your players without any response.

To be frank, I wish we didn't have windows full stop.

I always preferred clubs to be able to sign players if and when they needed it.

The windows are built up and overhyped that it creates panic and needless pressure.

There is less desperation for players to find a club or move too.

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The windows are built up and overhyped that it creates panic and needless pressure.

Wouldn't work now. You would get tactical bids, for example, with 10 games to go in a title race you could get City bidding for Salah, unsettling the player at a crucial stage of the season. Or say Manchester Utd bidding for Vardy whilst trying to catch Leicester . Or the two shithouse Spanish clubs bidding for Englands best players right before a CL semi final.

Nah, just have one window for all of Europe, simple.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Wouldn't work now. You would get tactical bids, for example, with 10 games to go in a title race you could get City bidding for Salah, unsettling the player at a crucial stage of the season. Or say Manchester Utd bidding for Vardy whilst trying to catch Leicester . Or the two shithouse Spanish clubs bidding for Englands best players right before a CL semi final.

They can bid, but Vardy isn't the kind of guy to take a step down anyway :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

This is how we make a lot of money please be quiet :hh:

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

That’s not true mate because clubs already contact players illegally all over the place (tapping).  It wouldn’t change in that respect but it would give clubs more time to negotiate properly and not panic buy.

I am on the side that prefers the old window.

It gives managers a tactical view of playing a few games (2 or 3) and then determining what's missing from their team.

Yes, that can lead to panic buying, but I think it's better for clubs to take a gamble after seeing what's wrong with the team, rather than panic buying without getting a deeper look and that player ultimately becoming a flop.

It honestly works both ways, but I think a longer transfer window offers more tactical flexibility.

Considering the rest of Europe, or at least the other four major leagues, doesn’t have their transfer windows ending at that time, it made little sense why the Premier League effectively penalised themselves by finishing earlier in the month. It makes sense to be on the same wavelength as the other major leagues.

While it would be good to have the transfer window done before the season starts, the major leagues start at differing times and it would just result in some windows finishing before or after a season has started and would just be a bit of a mess. 

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I get your point but that is a cynical way to look at it. As @SirBalon alluded to, this happens anyway when clubs or managers 'tap up' players, but the only difference being it's out of the public eye.

I think whilst they had the best interests at heart with the original move to a transfer window, we've got equally, if not, better benefits not having one.

I think there's always the excitement that you never know when a transfer may be right round the corner. Especially if your team is in poor form or suffering a bad injury crisis. Been some great examples of teams throwing the dice and having players keep them up with 10 games to go or so.

Imagine if Liverpool were 5 points clear in the league and lost Van Dijk or Salah for the season in March when they had FA Cup and Champions League going on. It could potentially de-stable their season on one important player being out. Spurs had it with Kane before, City with Aguero etc. Perhaps a move for someone out of the picture elsewhere as a loan without breaking the bank, could help the club from seeing their season capitulate in unfortunate circumstances.

I think it would put an end to greedy agents trying to hold clubs to ransom in windows because they know time constraints are in their hands if a club is desperate for said player. You only have to look and see how many times a player has come in to a club late in a window for far too much money, stupidly high salary etc because the agents have had clubs over a barrel.

I think we would see less panic transfer wise in the Summer/Winter because clubs may take time to work with what they have, particularly younger players, and ease into a season rather than panic to assemble a squad and run with it. The expenditure in Football is already ridiculously high.

I think it also eliminates this desperate need for players to leave a club in August knowing once the window closes they cannot move at all till January. It gives them more time to look at the situation, stay and fight for a place and if things don't improve, could possibly move on November time when a team needs a lift.

For example, you could have a scenario where someone like Newcastle are struggling to stay up and with 6 games to go, loan Phil Foden who gives them a shot in the arm they need because Pep Guardiola knows with 6 games left he can cope without him and would rather see the player playing games. The problem is, managers are too scared to let fringe players go because they fear leaving themselves short. It doesn't benefit players being kept for 'just incase' eventualities.

You have players that might be out injured till like October or March and could gain a move somewhere. 

I am sure you could look at it and spot negatives like bigger clubs potentially robbing smaller clubs talent midway through a campaign, and of course, that had always been prevalent in the past. But there are positives to it too and it's just my opinion I'd prefer it to be more 'old skool'.

I just don't like the way the market has gone and that is the traditional side of me as a Football fan coming through.

6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Considering the rest of Europe, or at least the other four major leagues, doesn’t have their transfer windows ending at that time, it made little sense why the Premier League effectively penalised themselves by finishing earlier in the month. It makes sense to be on the same wavelength as the other major leagues.

While it would be good to have the transfer window done before the season starts, the major leagues start at differing times and it would just result in some windows finishing before or after a season has started and would just be a bit of a mess. 

They thought the rest of Europe would follow suit and to be fair there was major debate in Spain and Italy on this. I remember a few months worth of article after article in Spanish and Italian sports papers but they couldn't come to any agreement due to what I mentioned in my previous post about how complicated the major transfers have become. You only have to look at England's biggest clubs and how it wasn't easy for them to compete for transfers against the major rivals and have the same amount of time to negotiate. This is frankly why in Europe they eventually dismissed the debate although everyone on the continent does agree with the theory. The first thing is to get every league starting on the same day and from there we can have a consensus I reckon.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That’s not true mate because clubs already contact players illegally all over the place (tapping).  It wouldn’t change in that respect but it would give clubs more time to negotiate properly and not panic buy.

Tapping is totally different from lodging actual bids that become headline news. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Tapping is totally different from lodging actual bids that become headline news. 

It's the same thing mate because it destabilises the player as you referred to in your post. Things can go really far by just talking to a player where clubs agree terms and conditions with the only difference being that nothing is signed or documented due to it being illegal to do that. But deals can be done with the only pending issue when the transfer window opens being the negotiations with the owning club. 

That particular detail I've just written shows how complicated transfers are these days and why every single club talks to players before contacting the club that owns the contract. The window just isnt long enough in massive deals due to all the bureaucracy and financial wrangling involved all over the place.

Also, on the the point about the media being exempt in the contacting of footballers (tapping), well the club that's chasing a player will leak info the moment they have the player's "yes please". It's a cut-throat market right now.  

24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's the same thing mate because it destabilises the player as you referred to in your post. Things can go really far by just talking to a player where clubs agree terms and conditions with the only difference being that nothing is signed or documented due to it being illegal to do that. But deals can be done with the only pending issue when the transfer window opens being the negotiations with the owning club. 

That particular detail I've just written shows how complicated transfers are these days and why every single club talks to players before contacting the club that owns the contract. The window just isnt long enough in massive deals due to all the bureaucracy and financial wrangling involved all over the place.

Also, on the the point about the media being exempt in the contacting of footballers (tapping), well the club that's chasing a player will leak info the moment they have the player's "yes please". It's a cut-throat market right now.  

Theres loads of different things that can happen if we had a permanently open transfer window. You could have players putting in transfer requests etc.

I just think it would be best if the whole of Europe was on the same page. Window opens, window shuts, same for everyone. 

Archived