talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alan Shearer vs Michael Owen

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Michael Owen in his height of excellence was one of the most exciting strikers I’ve ever witnessed. An amazing football product that should’ve gone onto rule the footballing world for years.

Alan Shearer is completely different and it’s unfair to compare. A more just comparison with Alan Shearer would’ve been Gary Lineker or even Alan Smith and Ian Wright who were in that mould of typical traditional 9 poachers (although Wright had more about him). 

This isn’t me taking credit from Shearer who was a total beast. But Owen was a very special player. 

I know you said that last sentence but Shearer, for me, was way more than just a #9 'poacher'.

He scored goals from all over the place. All kinds of goals. Headers, long-rangers, volleys inside & outside the box, close-range shots, powerful shots anywhere. He was the PL's best for a good few years.

Agree about Owen as well.

They were both quality strikers and at times played in the same season(s) so I don't think it's that unfair to compare the 2. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive heard they're both pleasant away from the cameras. Theres a clear personality clash which I guess is understandable given Owens wages at Newcastle for doing the square root of FA. Even if Shearer tried to leave, if you're in a dressing room for years with a player on three or four times the wages you're on that doesnt want to be there, you're going to be pissed off. Regardless of your affinity with the club.

Regarding both as footballers....

I'd say Owen was great from his debut up until the end of the 2001/02 season. He flattered to deceive at the World Cup and his last two years at Liverpool didnt hit the heights of his first three years. When he lost his pace there was nothing to him. 

I got in to Football during Euro 96 and from what I've learned since Alan Shearer peaked throughout the 90's. A lot longer at his best than Owen but they were two strikers with different attributes and should have been brilliant together for England.

As pundits however...

As a pundit Michael Owen falls in to the category of 'Ex-Liverpool' and they are the worst type of pundits. They type that talk about a run Sadio Mane made when Liverpool played Watford in the early kick off on Saturday half way through the Monday night match between Newcastle and Manchester United. His only saving grace is that hes no where ear as irritating as the likes of Dean Saunders.

Alan Shearer as a pundit has got a lot better over the last ten years. You dont keep the leading gig on MOTD as long as he has if you dont know what you're talking about. I think he will out last Michael in that area too given Michael Owen's passions away from football.

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know you said that last sentence but Shearer, for me, was way more than just a #9 'poacher'.

He scored goals from all over the place. All kinds of goals. Headers, long-rangers, volleys inside & outside the box, close-range shots, powerful shots anywhere. He was the PL's best for a good few years.

Agree about Owen as well.

They were both quality strikers and at times played in the same season(s) so I don't think it's that unfair to compare the 2. 

I get what you're saying mate but I just feel they were completely different. Wright, Smith and Lineker also scored from all over the place because they were that good. Shearer was one of the great English strikers, of that there's no doubt. But Michael Owen won the Ballon d'Or and had it not been for his stupid decision to move to Real Madrid, I reckon he would've confirmed an era at the top.

There was a time where you just couldn't stop Owen even collecting the ball on the halfway line. Three meters of space and you were done.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Michael Owen in his height of excellence was one of the most exciting strikers I’ve ever witnessed. An amazing football product that should’ve gone onto rule the footballing world for years.

Alan Shearer is completely different and it’s unfair to compare. A more just comparison with Alan Shearer would’ve been Gary Lineker or even Alan Smith and Ian Wright who were in that mould of typical traditional 9 poachers (although Wright had more about him). 

This isn’t me taking credit from Shearer who was a total beast. But Owen was a very special player. 

Alan Shearer was nothing like Lineker. Very odd comparison to make. Lineker and Owen are more comparable. 

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Alan Shearer was nothing like Lineker. Very odd comparison to make. Lineker and Owen are more comparable. 

Lineker running with the ball at his feet to finally slot it home against top opposition? Can't say I remember that as one of his strengths.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Lineker running with the ball at his feet to finally slot it home against top opposition? Can't say I remember that as one of his strengths.

More comparable doesn't mean the same. Shearer was totally different from Lineker and Owen in that he was an archetypal centre forward with the ability to score from anywhere. Lineker was a pure poacher and Owen was a combination of poacher and electric pace. Owen's career spiralled as soon as his pace went. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Weird take. Owen was a pace merchant that couldn’t adapt once his legs had gone. Shearer instead had a very long career.

On 03/09/2019 at 13:48, Stan said:

Shit pundit, mind-numbingly and coma-inducingly dull. 

To be fair, they are both a bit dull as pundits. Nonetheless, it's a shame that they are having a go at each other like this. They were two super strike partners for the English national team. Shearer was pretty much awesome throughout most of his career. Owen was superb until he got that serious injury, which took away a lot of his pace.

I don't like this silly back and forth from these two, but they are nowhere near as bad as that numbskull Joey Barton.

Dislike Owen, he was a great player but seem's like a cunt and doesn't seem very intelligent. Also when i was younger one of my crushes was "in love" with him and i was jealous. Shearer on the other hand is one of my favorite non Chelsea players that played in the League.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Vegan Kel said:

Owen would be lucky to find any fans of his former clubs that have any time for him. I personally never hated him when we signed him and he did an alright job for a freebie but he ain't half a cunt ain't he?

No morals whatsoever, he just tries to please whichever fans are listening. Knobhead. 

Of the squad when we went down Owen is the one where most blame lies, captain and poor. He was hated by everyone after that season, many abused and criticised him even before then. All his book proves is that either his ego helped get a club relegated or that club wrongly put faith in him because of his name at a time when he was probably out of his depth. There's a good reason his next gigs were sub roles.

He's not the first player who used to be abused by the fans and then gets sassy about the club a few years later and he won't be the last.

Archived