talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Football - General Talk

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

@Tommy

Went to a restaurant in Montego Bay last night. Our Jamaican taxi driver said he went to UK and then Germany for 3 months a few years back. 

Asked why Germany and what did he do there. His answer? He went to play football at a few clubs, two of those being Dusseldorf and Oberhausen :o

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Tommy

Went to a restaurant in Montego Bay last night. Our Jamaican taxi driver said he went to UK and then Germany for 3 months a few years back. 

Asked why Germany and what did he do there. His answer? He went to play football at a few clubs, two of those being Dusseldorf and Oberhausen :o

This fella?

418130-1485420556.jpg?lm=1

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Tommy

Small world! 

Considering Fortuna Düsseldorf never had a Jamaican player, I guess it was one of the other clubs of the city. Maybe even my neighbourhood clubs SG Unterrath or TuS Nord. You should have interviewed him some more. We need answers! :ph34r:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

This fella?

418130-1485420556.jpg?lm=1

Nope! 

What's this players name? 

Our taxi driver was called Kirk... 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Small world! 

Considering Fortuna Düsseldorf never had a Jamaican player, I guess it was one of the other clubs of the city. Maybe even my neighbourhood clubs SG Unterrath or TuS Nord. You should have interviewed him some more. We need answers! :ph34r:

Haha it was a vee short journey and then he asked who I support and when I said Leicester, he didn't seem impressed. He literally said 'Leicester?!?!' in a disapproving tone about 3 times. 

He support Man Utd though... xD

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nope! 

What's this players name? 

Our taxi driver was called Kirk... 

Haha, it's Kyle Butler, there was a bizarre story with him a few years ago when he posted a tweet saying he signed for Fortuna, but Fortuna didn't know anything about it xD he's also Leon Bailey's stepbrother, too.

I'd guess that your taxi driver probably did some trials, considering that he was only there for 3 months.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, it's Kyle Butler, there was a bizarre story with him a few years ago when he posted a tweet saying he signed for Fortuna, but Fortuna didn't know anything about it xD he's also Leon Bailey's stepbrother, too.

I'd guess that your taxi driver probably did some trials, considering that he was only there for 3 months.

Oooooh I remember that now. 

skysport_de-butler-dsseldorf_4348920.jpg

xD

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Coma said:

Roger Schmidt is leaving PSV in the summer.  Lots of speculation that he'll come back to Germany.  I would think that there will be some opportunities for him...*cough* Gladbach *cough*.

I rate him quite highly as a manager, and think he would be a good choice for Gladbach. Hope he doesn't end up in Hertha or RB...

With the amount of turnover at Gladbach it wouldn't surprise me if the new sporting director (whoever that may be) ends up with a new coach.  

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

I rate him quite highly as a manager, and think he would be a good choice for Gladbach. Hope he doesn't end up in Hertha or RB...

Hopefully Tedesco will do just well enough that he'll keep the job awhile longer.  Hertha... well, I'd like to think Roger is smarter than that.

https://www.kicker.de/kahn-ueber-play-offs-ich-finde-es-spannend-889491/artikel

I'm a little surprised to hear Kahn say this.  I'm even more surprised to see the comments from other clubs (Augsburg, Union, Bochum) reject the idea entirely.  Tradition seems to be more important than an outside shot at winning a title.    

I'm torn on this subject.  I understand the reasoning, both for and against, for end-of-season playoffs.  There's a lot of hatred out there for the American sports model and I have to agree that having a lengthy regular season is meaningless if you're going to implement a playoff at the end.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Coma said:

https://www.kicker.de/kahn-ueber-play-offs-ich-finde-es-spannend-889491/artikel

I'm a little surprised to hear Kahn say this.  I'm even more surprised to see the comments from other clubs (Augsburg, Union, Bochum) reject the idea entirely.  Tradition seems to be more important than an outside shot at winning a title.    

I'm torn on this subject.  I understand the reasoning, both for and against, for end-of-season playoffs.  There's a lot of hatred out there for the American sports model and I have to agree that having a lengthy regular season is meaningless if you're going to implement a playoff at the end.

Saw this as well tis interesting. I kind of have the same opinion as you but its tough to say as we are naturally bias to the format being North American. I mean Ive grown up watching fusball and the title race albeit not that interesting lately has traditionally been very exciting. At the same time NHL playoffs is the best hockey to watch. At the end of the day I dont know if it would be good or not and I know nothing. Carry on. 

15 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Saw this as well tis interesting. I kind of have the same opinion as you but its tough to say as we are naturally bias to the format being North American. I mean Ive grown up watching fusball and the title race albeit not that interesting lately has traditionally been very exciting. At the same time NHL playoffs is the best hockey to watch. At the end of the day I dont know if it would be good or not and I know nothing. Carry on. 

Honestly doubt the majority of German football fans would accept it, let alone embrace. Think it's just an idea, that will ultimately don't come to fruit like the one Rummenigge had regarding DFB-Pokal.

PS: For those, who didn't know or forgot- a few years ago Bayern requested a DFB-Pokal reform demanding the better Buli sides having byes in the first round and to be seated, so they couldn't face each other until the quarters. That proposal was voted down on DFB annual meeting, Expecting this proposition to suffer the same fate.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Honestly doubt the majority of German football fans would accept it, let alone embrace. Think it's just an idea, that will ultimately don't come to fruit like the one Rummenigge had regarding DFB-Pokal.

PS: For those, who didn't know or forgot- a few years ago Bayern requested a DFB-Pokal reform demanding the better Buli sides having byes in the first round and to be seated, so they couldn't face each other until the quarters. That proposal was voted down on DFB annual meeting, Expecting this proposition to suffer the same fate.

Oh I have 0 doubts that it would ever come to fruition and for good reason.. Something that drastic of a change isnt even necessary and protecting traditions are important in sport imo. Still an interesting idea and Im glad they do talk about things like this even if its for 5 minutes and 1 person in the room is for it and then you fire that person into the sun. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I agree that playoff hockey, and basketball, are the best the sport has to offer.  The argument I have always had is the length of the regular season in comparison to the playoffs.  Why play 80+ games (or in baseball, 160+ games!) only to have the title decided by a playoff.

As for Bundesliga clubs getting a bye in the first round, that can fuck right off.  If anything, I think Buli clubs should have to play away against any lower league opponent, unless the opponent agrees otherwise.

11 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Oh I have 0 doubts that it would ever come to fruition and for good reason.. Something that drastic of a change isnt even necessary and protecting traditions are important in sport imo. Still an interesting idea and Im glad they do talk about things like this even if its for 5 minutes and 1 person in the room is for it and then you fire that person into the sun. 

I stopped watching hockey when the league decided to overhaul the traditions.  Re-alignment, renaming the conferences, ditching ties for OTL's.  The only good thing they've ever done was introducing the obstruction calls, and I don't even know if that's a thing anymore.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Coma said:

I stopped watching hockey when the league decided to overhaul the traditions.  Re-alignment, renaming the conferences, ditching ties for OTL's.  The only good thing they've ever done was introducing the obstruction calls, and I don't even know if that's a thing anymore.

Im far too rooted into hockey to probably ever stop watching but ill offer my opinion on what you bring up. The realignment makes sense given they keep adding teams to the league ever handful of years. As example traditional alignment had the Winnipeg Jets in the east, I dont expect you to know Canadian Geography but Winnipeg is where the Canuck's had their farm team for example so quite close just a couple provinces over from BC. Back when the Jets originally played there where less teams and thats how they balanced the divisions... it never made senese for them to be in the east so if anything they corrected a mistake... same thing with the Red Wings but the opposite... they where in the west and now are correctly in the east. As far as renaming conferences I do tend to agree but I cant really be arsed either way.

Ditching ties is a touchy subject. It drastically affects historical stats and for that I dont like it one bit. I also hate how they have different rules for playoffs and regular season as far as only having 5 min OT's then shootout and playoffs traditional ot sudden death. That being said the 3 on 3 OT and shootout are pretty fun to watch. Specifically the 3 on 3 OT just giving these guys more space to work with and end to end rushes and non stop plays is must watch stuff. 

The obstruction calls are all well and alive they've moved onto eliminating or reducing anyways crosschecks this season. The any sort of stick in the hands is basically an auto call still. That brings my real gripe up is how the reffing and rules change every year for playoffs, all of a sudden the rulebook is completely different.. I still hate it. 

You ever watched German hockey? My local team is quite good, and they were a real powerhouse in the 90's. Even Brendan Shanahan played for us when the NHL had a lockout. 

shanahan-300.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Düsseldorfer_EG

Fun fact. When I was 2 years old I was in hospital with a broken leg. And during that time said hockey team visited exactly that hospital, and me as well. I still have a hat and some autographs somewhere from that. 😅

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im far too rooted into hockey to probably ever stop watching but ill offer my opinion on what you bring up. The realignment makes sense given they keep adding teams to the league ever handful of years. As example traditional alignment had the Winnipeg Jets in the east, I dont expect you to know Canadian Geography but Winnipeg is where the Canuck's had their farm team for example so quite close just a couple provinces over from BC. Back when the Jets originally played there where less teams and thats how they balanced the divisions... it never made senese for them to be in the east so if anything they corrected a mistake... same thing with the Red Wings but the opposite... they where in the west and now are correctly in the east. As far as renaming conferences I do tend to agree but I cant really be arsed either way.

Ditching ties is a touchy subject. It drastically affects historical stats and for that I dont like it one bit. I also hate how they have different rules for playoffs and regular season as far as only having 5 min OT's then shootout and playoffs traditional ot sudden death. That being said the 3 on 3 OT and shootout are pretty fun to watch. Specifically the 3 on 3 OT just giving these guys more space to work with and end to end rushes and non stop plays is must watch stuff. 

The obstruction calls are all well and alive they've moved onto eliminating or reducing anyways crosschecks this season. The any sort of stick in the hands is basically an auto call still. That brings my real gripe up is how the reffing and rules change every year for playoffs, all of a sudden the rulebook is completely different.. I still hate it. 

The seventeen years the league had 30 teams is the longest stretch without expanding, not counting the original six, I just checked because of your post because I was curious. Isn’t that food for thought?