talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Football - General Talk

football forum

This may have been discussed somewhere else but I was curious about this excerpt from an article I read on The Athletic:

He did, however, land a sneaky blow by reminding Tebas of last year’s European Court of Justice ruling that Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna all benefited from illegal state aid for more than 20 years. This is to do with the Spanish authorities treating these member-run clubs as non-profit organisations, giving them a tax advantage over their rivals.

The statement itself pertains to the PSG vs. Madrid debate that was later taken up by the Ligue 1 and La Liga presidents.  More importantly though, does Germany consider member-run clubs as non-profits?

16 minutes ago, Coma said:

This may have been discussed somewhere else but I was curious about this excerpt from an article I read on The Athletic:

He did, however, land a sneaky blow by reminding Tebas of last year’s European Court of Justice ruling that Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna all benefited from illegal state aid for more than 20 years. This is to do with the Spanish authorities treating these member-run clubs as non-profit organisations, giving them a tax advantage over their rivals.

The statement itself pertains to the PSG vs. Madrid debate that was later taken up by the Ligue 1 and La Liga presidents.  More importantly though, does Germany consider member-run clubs as non-profits?

The answer is a firm yes and no.xD Principally clubs (organised as eV) are considered non-profit, most clubs decided to hive off their pro departements to companies (GmbH, AG, KGaA), though. These companies are considered profit-orientated in contrast to their mother clubs. On a side note only Schalke, Union, Mainz, and Freiburg are still pure eV's in the Buli, as far as I know.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The answer is a firm yes and no.xD Principally clubs (organised as eV) are considered non-profit, most clubs decided to hive off their pro departements to companies (GmbH, AG, KGaA), though. These companies are considered profit-orientated in contrast to their mother clubs. On a side note only Schalke, Union, Mainz, and Freiburg are still pure eV's in the Buli, as far as I know.

So just having an eV on their name is no longer an indication that they are non-profit?

34 minutes ago, Coma said:

So just having an eV on their name is no longer an indication that they are non-profit?

It's a bit more complicated. Simplified: the mother club's, that are eV are non-profit as such, this brings some implications, though. Non-profit organisations aren't allowed to be organised in a form other than one member one share. So if a club wants to sell shares to an investor, even when respecting the 50+1 rule, they have no choice other than to establish a profit-orientated company where they held 50% +1 share of the voting stakes. These companies are profit-orientated entities that are majority owned (at least nominally, see Saxon dishwater) by non profit organisations. The non-profit status of these majority holding mother clubs is unaffected by this procedure, though. In other words FC Augsburg eV, for example, that @Eco is a member of still is considered non-profit, although they are majority owners of profit-orientated company FCA Beteiligungs GmbH & Co KGaA, which are running their first team.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I feel old and stupid now for doing it, still I'd like to ask what that tweet means? Am too aged and dumb to understand this abbreviations and my google search didn't help?

I think Preetz just had a few beers too many.

20 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I feel old and stupid now for doing it, still I'd like to ask what that tweet means? Am too aged and dumb to understand this abbreviations and my google search didn't help?

Preetz tried to tweet something and failed miserably. It's no abbreviations, just a bunch of gibberish. As nudge said, maybe he had a few beers too many and fell asleep on the keyboard. xD

14 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

This will show up in a German football quiz in the future.  I've been answering random questions with "Michael Preetz" and it's about to payoff.

• Haha 3

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Coma said:

I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Just a bunch of idiots who get up in the morning and eagerly search for something to be offended about. This time, they decided that a colour combination of dark blue-white-red reminds them too much of the Reichsfahne, so started a shitstorm online.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just a bunch of idiots who get up in the morning and eagerly search for something to be offended about. This time, they decided that a colour combination of dark blue-white-red reminds them too much of the Reichsfahne, so started a shitstorm online.

Sometimes I'm glad not having any social networks- spared me such nonsense.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, nudge said:

Reichsfahne

Ooooooh so that's what this is about. I just scrolled past a few things in my newsfeed where I read that the fans are unhappy with the shirt. I thought it was just about the colour not very "Kiel-like" or something. xD

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...