talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Football - General Talk

football forum

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

There have always been loose talks about stocking it up to 20, but it never really became a serious option as far as I know. 18 seems fine to me. 

4 additional matches per season doesn't sound like much but that is usually the difference in having a Christmas break versus not.  Personally, I don't watch much football around the holidays anyway and I'm all for having a nice mid-season break.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coma said:

4 additional matches per season doesn't sound like much but that is usually the difference in having a Christmas break versus not.  Personally, I don't watch much football around the holidays anyway and I'm all for having a nice mid-season break.

Also, there are regions in Germany, where snow is the rule not the exception around late December early January til February. The winter break was introduced because many matches had to be postponed the years before, although playing on a snowy grounds wasn't seldom those days.

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Also, there are regions in Germany, where snow is the rule not the exception around late December early January til February. The winter break was introduced because many matches had to be postponed the years before, although playing on a snowy grounds wasn't seldom those days.

"Round 13, Question 1: why was the winter break introduced in the Bundesliga?"

xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

To be fair in your Quiz it would be more like "Name the cousin of the great great great great uncle of the person who first had the idea to implenent the winter break. Bonus point if can name the song that was playing in the background when he got the idea." 

In the latest quiz there were two questions where I knew the song but of course those questions came without any bonus  O.o

I don't know how but somehow she knew...

image.png

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
19 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I thought this was pretty on the nose and figured id post this away from the masses. Alot of people seem to be brushing off Lewy's 41 goal record and not really realize or understand the magnitude of it imo.

xD

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 07:21, Coma said:

I know I said all this but I didn't mean it.  Now I'm facing the prospect of 3 weeks without fußball and it fucking sucks. 

@Rucksackfranzose I read an article today about the Saarland national football team that existed for a few years in the early-mid 1950's.  It was interesting that they had to play West Germany in the final World Cup qualifier to determine the group winner in 1954.  According to the article there was a lot of speculation that no one in Saarland wanted their "national team" to win because they mostly identified as German anyway and were German football fans at heart.  Of course W. Germany went on to win the World Cup that year...just another neat fact about that time period.   

33 minutes ago, Coma said:

@Rucksackfranzose I read an article today about the Saarland national football team that existed for a few years in the early-mid 1950's.  It was interesting that they had to play West Germany in the final World Cup qualifier to determine the group winner in 1954.  According to the article there was a lot of speculation that no one in Saarland wanted their "national team" to win because they mostly identified as German anyway and were German football fans at heart.  Of course W. Germany went on to win the World Cup that year...just another neat fact about that time period.   

To be fair, this rumours came mostly from outsiders, who had no idea of the rivalry between FCS, where most Saarish footballers played, and Lautern, the team that many DFB players played for. Many Saarish had loved their team to defeat Germany, regardless of their self-definition as Germans, only for this fact. The atmosphere at Ludwigspark was very friendly, though.

By the way: Mostly identified as Germans is an understatement. Even those, who voted in favour of the autnomy act identified as Germans and Germans only. That talk about a never existing French minority was a French invention to justify their exploitation of Saarish mines and steeling industry.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, this rumours came mostly from outsiders, who had no idea of the rivalry between FCS, where most Saarish footballers played, and Lautern, the team that many DFB players played for. Many Saarish had loved their team to defeat Germany, regardless of their self-definition as Germans, only for this fact. The atmosphere at Ludwigspark was very friendly, though.

By the way: Mostly identified as Germans is an understatement. Even those, who voted in favour of the autnomy act identified as Germans and Germans only. That talk about a never existing French minority was a French invention to justify their exploitation of Saarish mines and steeling industry.

That part was referenced in the article.  

"After the Germans were defeated in another world war the French wanted to get their hands on Saarland again due to its large coal deposits and that is exactly what happened. Saarland would actually have its own flag and even its own constitution, but it was, despite some forms of autonomy, essentially under French supervision. This was something that, as mentioned, the people of the Saar never really enjoyed."

Hannover have opted to keep Dabrowski as Chef until the end of the season.  I'm a bit surprised considering all the talk about Rösler and Thioune.

Apparently Neuhaus was not interested as he was holding out for the Düsseldorf job.

56 minutes ago, Coma said:

Hannover have opted to keep Dabrowski as Chef until the end of the season.  I'm a bit surprised considering all the talk about Rösler and Thioune.

Apparently Neuhaus was not interested as he was holding out for the Düsseldorf job.

Heard he makes a good Carbonara. :ph34r:

• Haha 2