talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Football - General Talk

football forum

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Spike said:

The seventeen years the league had 30 teams is the longest stretch without expanding, not counting the original six, I just checked because of your post because I was curious. Isn’t that food for thought?

Was that the stretch in between basically Minnesota/CBJ/Nashville to Vegas? It has to be right?  That is kinda crazy. 

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You ever watched German hockey? My local team is quite good, and they were a real powerhouse in the 90's. Even Brendan Shanahan played for us when the NHL had a lockout. 

shanahan-300.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Düsseldorfer_EG

Fun fact. When I was 2 years old I was in hospital with a broken leg. And during that time said hockey team visited exactly that hospital, and me as well. I still have a hat and some autographs somewhere from that. 😅

Thats awesome! I do know a decent amount of players do finish their careers in europe. Give them one last chance to try something new as they wind down to retirement. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Was that the stretch in between basically Minnesota/CBJ/Nashville to Vegas? It has to be right?  That is kinda crazy. 

Yessir, people don’t like Bettman but comparing the league in 2022 to 1995, you have to admit he has nailed growing the sport and amending rules to get away from the dead puck era. Who wants to watch lines of low skill 110kilo ‘energy’ players dump the puck for a 2-0 score? I much prefer ‘Quebec’ and ‘continental’ skill hockey than gooning it up. But I’m a foreigner, I didn’t grow up in the American rich kid sport circles, or Canada’s ‘French and a visor? Typical frog’ cultures so I probably have differing opinions on the sport. But if I were Canadian, given my stereotypical Australianess I would have been the ‘Sawry aboot finishing yer two-four there, bud’ type. 

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yessir, people don’t like Bettman but comparing the league in 2022 to 1995, you have to admit he has nailed growing the sport and amending rules to get away from the dead puck era. Who wants to watch lines of low skill 110kilo ‘energy’ players dump the puck for a 2-0 score? I much prefer ‘Quebec’ and ‘continental’ skill hockey than gooning it up. But I’m a foreigner, I didn’t grow up in the American rich kid sport circles, or Canada’s ‘French and a visor? Typical frog’ cultures so I probably have differing opinions on the sport. But if I were Canadian, given my stereotypical Australianess I would have been the ‘Sawry aboot finishing yer two-four there, bud’ type. 

There's always that debate between keeping the traditional fans happy and appealing to a new demographic.  I grew up with the free-flowing high scoring hockey of the early 90's, when even shit teams had at least one player with >100 points.  The North Stars, Whalers, and Nordiques still existed and no one dreamt of hockey in Phoenix and Atlanta.

The product now is vastly different and just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

Undoubtedly Bettman has done an excellent job for the league. Hes not been perfect...being in command during what 3? lockouts....its 3 or 4 anyways certainly isnt a good look. The Arizona debacle... he will burn his family on that hill to die on it seems. But youre right overall hes done an excellent job in managing the growth of the game. The rule changes overall have been objectively great and the expansion has been a massive success. Look at what the penguins just sold for to FSG and thats even durring all this shit going on in the world.  

I do wish the barrier to entry was much lower. Im looking at having a kid or two in the next few years and Id love to be able to give them the opportunity to play hockey but I really dont know down the road if we can afford it. Id sacrifice my own playing for it but im not sure thats even enough. You compare the prices to basketball or soccer or nearly any other sport and its night and day. 

12 minutes ago, Coma said:

There's always that debate between keeping the traditional fans happy and appealing to a new demographic.  I grew up with the free-flowing high scoring hockey of the early 90's, when even shit teams had at least one player with >100 points.  The North Stars, Whalers, and Nordiques still existed and no one dreamt of hockey in Phoenix and Atlanta.

The product now is vastly different and just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Atlanta had a team in the 70s xD

What does free-flowing even mean? Have you watched hockey recently? It is higher scoring than it has been in years, it's faster, more skilled based, and the skill bottom and ceiling is higher than it has ever been. We are seeing more innovation and skills that just simply didn't exist in the past. It's not 2001 anymore, the dead puck era is over

20 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Undoubtedly Bettman has done an excellent job for the league. Hes not been perfect...being in command during what 3? lockouts....its 3 or 4 anyways certainly isnt a good look. The Arizona debacle... he will burn his family on that hill to die on it seems. But youre right overall hes done an excellent job in managing the growth of the game. The rule changes overall have been objectively great and the expansion has been a massive success. Look at what the penguins just sold for to FSG and thats even durring all this shit going on in the world.  

I do wish the barrier to entry was much lower. Im looking at having a kid or two in the next few years and Id love to be able to give them the opportunity to play hockey but I really dont know down the road if we can afford it. Id sacrifice my own playing for it but im not sure thats even enough. You compare the prices to basketball or soccer or nearly any other sport and its night and day. 

I would love to play hockey, but it's an exclusive sport. If I had a friend that could help me get into it, I'd love it but how am I supposed to learn how to play a game that is probably only played by failed college/high school players with a chip on their shoulder!? xD

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Atlanta had a team in the 70s xD

What does free-flowing even mean? Have you watched hockey recently? It is higher scoring than it has been in years, it's faster, more skilled based, and the skill bottom and ceiling is higher than it has ever been. We are seeing more innovation and skills that just simply didn't exist in the past. It's not 2001 anymore, the dead puck era is over

I was shitting in diapers in the 70's. 

And to be honest with you, I have only watched bits of matches here and there over the past several years.  I gave up around the time they started highlighting the puck for TV audiences.

6 minutes ago, Coma said:

I was shitting in diapers in the 70's. 

And to be honest with you, I have only watched bits of matches here and there over the past several years.  I gave up around the time they started highlighting the puck for TV audiences.

That happened for like two games xD

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Spike said:

I would love to play hockey, but it's an exclusive sport. If I had a friend that could help me get into it, I'd love it but how am I supposed to learn how to play a game that is probably only played by failed college/high school players with a chip on their shoulder!? xD

How it works here is they have divisions for mens hockey... depending on the rink and the amount of interest theres some with 13 divisions for example and the bottom is more friendly to beginners.. teams move up and down throughout the years based on how they do.

I would say its never too late if you do have interest, are you a half decent skater already? if not you can just practice that first even and not worry about a stick or pucks yet. Again I can only speak about here but they do have public skates (people just skate in a giant circle at the rink) they also offer what they call stick and puck which is just unorganized do your own thing skate around, shoot around if your with a friend pass and whatever you want... sometimes goalies show up. 

This is a nice gesture. http://www.kicker.de/vfb-spieler-springen-finanziell-fuer-fans-in-hoffenheim-ein-891445/artikel

For those. who don't speak German- Stuutgart's players pay the difference in price for their travelling support to Hoffenheim, who got seats, to the price payed by their supporters, who got tickets for the standing section.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

I had to laugh at a few excerpts from this article.  First of all, who names their kid Peter Peters?  Wtf.

And then there was Schalke. The club who, with their Gazprom-sponsored shirts, were the ultimate symbol of Russian soft power in Germany’s economy and pop culture for so long.

At the weekend, the club decided to cover up the company’s logo. On Monday, they announced they would be cutting ties completely.

For many, this decision was overdue. Despite unrelenting criticism from the media and their own fans, Schalke had always held fast to the Gazprom partnership. At times, they barely even tried to play down its political dimension. In 2014, just weeks after the Russian annexation of Crimea, then-CEO Clemens Tonnies said that he and the team were planning to visit the Kremlin at Putin’s invitation.

In the end the visit never took place, but the nasty aftertaste lingered. On Saturday evening, Tonnies’ former colleague Peter Peters wilted as he was interviewed on Das Aktuelle Sportstudio, the German equivalent of Match of the Day. Peters had been Schalke’s chief financial officer when they signed the Gazprom deal in 2006, and he is now running to become president of the German FA. As such, he found himself walking a tightrope between defending the club’s past behaviour and welcoming their U-turn at the weekend.

The result was a car-crash interview for the ages. Peters was so nervous that when the presenter welcomed him to the studio, he said “welcome” in response. Later, as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat like a three-year-old in need of the toilet, he described the Gazprom sponsorship as “sweet poison”.

• Haha 1

Don't know, what to say in this specific case, since I didn't follow Hertha BSC enough, to have an opinion. Nonetheless a good show case, why clubs should have an extended look on other possibilities to come to money before they decide to lay in bed with an investor.

http://www.kicker.de/tage-des-donners-bei-hertha-bsc-893401/artikel

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know, what to say in this specific case, since I didn't follow Hertha BSC enough, to have an opinion. Nonetheless a good show case, why clubs should have an extended look on other possibilities to come to money before they decide to lay in bed with an investor.

http://www.kicker.de/tage-des-donners-bei-hertha-bsc-893401/artikel

What really gets me is where they spent all this money.  There are very few players in this squad that I would even consider good, certainly not great.  They must have been taken to the cleaners on transfer fees.  I'd count Mittelstadt, Darida, Richter, and Ascacibar as players that have any real value now.  Maybe it is best if they go down so they can clear all the dross from their wage bill.  Certainly Windhorst would lose interest as well, which could be the best thing that happens to them.

• 2 weeks later...