• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cesar Azpilicueta - Chelsea > Real Sociedad > Athletic Bilbao

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Can expect Chelsea fans would be happy to see him go, but perhaps only when they can get a adequate replacement in (so not til next summer).

From the Chelsea fans' views on here, sounds like his best years are beyond him and defensively he is lacking now. And also lacking the consistency to churn out performances like he did a few years ago - probably the best right-back in the league the season they won it (14/15?)

He is eight years with us, 95% of his games he was one of the top performers. All the sudden he is on a bad patch he is linked with a move away and our fans shit on him. He was never rested or rotated in his time with the club and played left back, right back and center back all equally well. Certainly can still do a great job at center back, and even improve on right back. He was poor so far this season and has had bad games under Sarri but as always we need a scapegoat and this season it's him. Doubt he would be sold next summer but if he does he gave us his best years.

Yeah he’s never even sustained a long term injury since his ACL tear, which was 10 years ago. Plays week in week out, either side of defence. Most appearances in the league since his signing. As a result, his legs are finished. 

Getting rid would be incredibly stupid. Rotating him with James, with the latter getting more game time, is the best way forward. 

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yeah he’s never even sustained a long term injury since his ACL tear, which was 10 years ago. Plays week in week out, either side of defence. Most appearances in the league since his signing. As a result, his legs are finished. 

Getting rid would be incredibly stupid. Rotating him with James, with the latter getting more game time, is the best way forward. 

Agreed basically it is not his fault he is never rested and is never dropped. He doesn't pick himself the manager does, currently he perhaps is the weak link with Zouma but it doesn't mean they should be shot. It's a big squad and we have plenty more games to play. Azpi can switch with James or even some of the center backs while Zouma can be cover for Christensen and Rudiger who also need rest from time to time.

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think hed still be very good with decent CB's to cover him. Hes been made to look bad at the moment because Chelsea's CB's are absolute dogga. 

What? That is literally the opposite of what’s happening.

Our CB’s are far from poor. It’s Dave being mugged off time and time again that presents danger to our back line. Shieffield’s goals were down to Dave being beaten. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What? That is literally the opposite of what’s happening.

Our CB’s are far from poor. It’s Dave being mugged off time and time again that presents danger to our back line. Shieffield’s goals were down to Dave being beaten. 

Come on mate, Chelsea CB's are shite. Certainly not good enough to be covering attacking FB's.

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Come on mate, Chelsea CB's are shite. Certainly not good enough to be covering attacking FB's.

Rudiger and Christensen shit? You’re having a laugh. The fact you think Azpilicueta of all players qualifies as an attacking FB, shows you don’t know what you’re on about. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Rudiger and Christensen shit? You’re having a laugh. The fact you think Azpilicueta of all players qualifies as an attacking FB, shows you don’t know what you’re on about. 

I'm not saying hes an attacking FB but hes being asked to play as an attacking FB by your manager.

And yes Christensen is currently shite. You've said it yourself. I can dig up your comments if you like? 

Rudiger I'm not sold on but he hardly plays does he? Hes hardly Mr reliable mate. 

No need to get snotty btw, it was only my opinion on what I will admit to be an observation from a small sample size. 

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm not saying hes an attacking FB but hes being asked to play as an attacking FB by your manager.

And yes Christensen is currently shite. You've said it yourself. I can dig up your comments if you like? 

Rudiger I'm not sold on but he hardly plays does he? Hes hardly Mr reliable mate. 

No need to get snotty btw, it was only my opinion on what I will admit to be an observation from a small sample size. 

I have not once labeled Christensen as a shit defender. My biggest criticism is that he’s physically frail, but other than that he’s a great option to have. 

Rudiger has had one long sustaining injury with us, and that’s now. If you were to compile a list of the best centrebacks in the league, Rudiger would be on there for many. 

We still need a top CB to partner Rudiger in the summer, but our options aren’t shit. Far from it. 

I agree with @Cicero here, I think Azpilicueta's best days are behind him and right now he's looking pretty clearly like the weak link at Chelsea. I don't know who else they have at right back though, but surely it's worth giving them a shot over someone who's continually putting his teammates under pressure.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I have not once labeled Christensen as a shit defender. My biggest criticism is that he’s physically frail, but other than that he’s a great option to have. 

Rudiger has had one long sustaining injury with us, and that’s now. If you were to compile a list of the best centrebacks in the league, Rudiger would be on there for many. 

We still need a top CB to partner Rudiger in the summer, but our options aren’t shit. Far from it. 

Fair enough mate, you know more about Chelsea than me. 

Wilder and our backroom staff were encouraging all attacks to be down his right flank, Frank must have felt helpless, if we can see it on the touchline as fans, it would have been obvious to him. It's awkward for Chelsea because that's their captain and all but even at Derby, Frank himself 'targeted' this guy when they played each other. 

• The topic was locked

Archived