The better place to talk football.

Sheffield Wednesday Sack Garry Monk and then Sack Tony Pulis

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Tony Pulis appointed.

Far, far better than the likes of Nigel Pearson. Pretty much confirms their survival as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a little surprised. I thought having had the points reduced they would have been a bit more positive. To me, this says they are seriously worried about staying up still.

Not very ambitious at all, especially if he has signed a 2 and a half year contract as rumoured, but they have to appoint someone with the current situation in mind I guess.

Should keep them up no worries.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

The amount of money this serial failure makes is unreal.

Is he a serial failure though? Took Stoke City from bottom half Championship to mid table Premiership, took Palace from bottom of the Premier League to mid table, kept West Brom in the league for multiple seasons and got Middlesbrough in to the playoffs. With his track record there's every reason to suggest he would have eventually kept Sheffield Wednesday up.

• Administrator

Ha, what a mess of a club they've become. What did they expect Pulis to do? With the points deduction they had, surely they weren't expecting him to have them around mid table for example already? 

Not like they're miles of survival right now either? 

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Is he a serial failure though? Took Stoke City from bottom half Championship to mid table Premiership, took Palace from bottom of the Premier League to mid table, kept West Brom in the league for multiple seasons and got Middlesbrough in to the playoffs. With his track record there's every reason to suggest he would have eventually kept Sheffield Wednesday up.

I would say when you’re continually sacked/let go from a position (and paid millions each time) then yeah. A couple of bare minimum do your job requirements in between wouldn’t change my mind. Only in football. And the government xD

• Subscriber

Imagine, BigSam can't keep WBA up and they get relegated, then Sheffield Wednesday hire Big Sam to get them in the big time again and put a few more millions in his bank account, and then...

WBA hire Pulis as there next manager and he gets WBA back into the EPL and then...xD

They have obviously done it ahead of the transfer window because getting a bit of quality in is going to be massive for them.

Not ideal for whomever does take over though because they are literally walking in blind not knowing which players to keep or replace.

1 hour ago, N U F C said:

I think he surely must have said something behind the scenes which has contributed to this. They've picked up over the last couple of games and I'm sure he'd have ended up saving them.

Yes, I get the impression there is more to this than their position in the league. Someone like Pulis will obviously say things as they are, and I suspect that won't have gone done well with the overlords. That said, it makes you wonder then why he took it in the first place, the ongoing shambles at Wednesday is hardly a secret...

Archived