• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield Wednesday Sack Garry Monk and then Sack Tony Pulis

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Michael said:

I think that Monk will do a good job at Wednesday, he's one of the best young English managers around. 

Not sure I'd quite agree with that, but he's pretty steady.

The problem for Monk is he's starting to do the rounds a bit, like say Gary Rowett. And if you cannot find a home anywhere, you're going to adopt a bit of a journeyman tag.

He needs to find stability at a club he can be at for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Can't see that happening at Wednesday.

21 hours ago, Spike said:

Wasn't he decent at Swansea? At least has the right ideas.

Decent enough to get the sack. Everyone thought it was unfairn at the time but I think his time with Leeds and someone else after showed that he probably doesn’t have the ability to suit the hype. Benefits from the same media hype that Eddie Howe does. Not bad managers, both at different levels obviously but neither ever set the world alight 

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Sheffield Wednesday Sack Garry Monk
  • Subscriber

He's never lasted longer than 18 months in a managerial position which you could argue is the case for most football managers these days but it doesn't bode well for him. It's a little unfortunate as they had okay results in the past 2 games but looks like the board has their minds set after the 4 defeats in a row.

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

He's never lasted longer than 18 months in a managerial position which you could argue is the case for most football managers these days but it doesn't bode well for him. It's a little unfortunate as they had okay results in the past 2 games but looks like the board has their minds set after the 4 defeats in a row.

He seems to like work with challenging owners which is beginning to have a big effect on his reputation.

I wonder if Danny Cowley will go back. Personally hope him and Paul Cook avoid it whilst Chinsari is charge. He comes across as a difficult character to work with.

Nigel Pearson is ex Sheffield Wednesday so I could see that materialising with his previous links, just a question of whether he fancies it.

Gary Monk's tactics are the issue. Dour football everywhere he goes and the lack of variety is a major issue. He get's found out way too easily. Most his sides tend to play quite direct. Ok if you have the personnel to play that way, not so clever when it doesn't.

His sides usually come up short. Certainly.was the case for us and Boro.

Didn't he get called out for some very dodgy dealings whilst at Boro? Couple that with his inability to hold down a job, even by modern managerial standards, and it'll be interesting to see how long his career holds out.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is he an absolute bellend of a human, too? The whole Pep Clotet incident after he left Birmingham painted him to be a complete moron. 

And an issue with Nathan Dyer at Swansea, too, I think?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, shut up said:

He came across really well on 5live the other day. Changed my opinion on him. I think there is a decent manager in him too.

He's an absolute legend. Great character and is overshadowed/misunderstood by his media persona. 

Literally everyone that speaks about him (apart from Matt Mills) has great stuff to say about him.

He's very down to earth and has a very dry sense of humour. Very knowledgeable too. 

26 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Only recently learnt about Pearson bouncing Wayne Brown out of Leicester for being a BNP supporter. It’s really not the Pearson certain people push as truth. 

I remember that happening at the time. They were going in to the playoffs looking pretty good. Then that all happened and Kermogant's chipped his penalty.

Archived