talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2030 Bidding

football forum

So we got a proposal from Ecuador's president to see if we can host a World Cup with them and Colombia.

I am completely against this. For a couple of reasons.

1. We got stripped of the U17 World Cup this year

2. The most important thing is providing a stable economy and allowing people to get their basic survival resources. Brazil suffered after their World Cup despite their massive economy. There is no way we would be able to do it, even as a joint.

3. Our domestic league doesn't fill up games. We have the biggest stadium in South America that holds around 80K people, and it probably has brought max capacity less than 10 times in its history (for the league). They won't fill up the games after the tournament is over, so what's the point in even bothering to expand.

That's honestly another reason 48 teams won't work. More of an expectation and now all these countries go crazy in co-hosting it.

I think the expectations of hosts should be lessened to the point it becomes a desirable event with a positive economic footprint for the host nation again. 

The Olympics have already gone down this path but are struggling to find host cities willing to commit. The same will happen to FIFA after the debacles of South Africa Brazil and Qatar although the impact of being at a national level rather than single city and being football infrastructure which is more useful down the line make the world cup less onerous and a better long term investment.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56241637

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says it is the "right time" for the UK and Republic of Ireland to launch a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup.

The UK government will reportedly pledge £2.8m to kick-start the process in Wednesday's Budget.

The football associations of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland say they are "delighted" with the government's commitment.

"We are very, very keen to bring football home in 2030," Johnson said.

In an interview with the Sun, he added: "I do think it's the right place. It's the home of football, it's the right time. It will be an absolutely wonderful thing for the country.

"We want to see a bonanza of football in the years ahead."

A feasibility study will continue before the formal World Cup bidding process begins in 2022.

A joint-statement from the football associations of England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland read: "The football associations and government partners of the UK and Ireland are delighted that the UK government has committed to support a prospective five-association bid for the 2030 Fifa World Cup.

"The FAs will continue to undertake feasibility work to assess the viability of a bid before Fifa formally opens the process in 2022.

"Staging a Fifa World Cup would provide an incredible opportunity to deliver tangible benefits for our nations.

"If a decision is made to bid for the event, we look forward to presenting our hosting proposals to Fifa and the wider global football community."

A joint bid from Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay is expected for the 2030 competition, while Spain, Morocco and Portugal are also considering a joint bid.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the sentiment of any Uruguayan bid, but I really can't see FIFA going 16 years between 2018 and 2034 without a World Cup in Europe. And especially having two World Cup, back to back, out with a European timezone.

Would love to see a World Cup spread over the UK and Ireland, and with the expansion of the tournament, wouldn't be such a detriment to have a number of automatic qualifying countries.

Grouping them in separate areas, would probably look something like:

Aviva Stadium / Windsor Park

Hampden Park / Murrayfield

St James Park / Stadium of Light

Anfield / Old Trafford

Wembley / Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Elland Road / Hillsborough

King Power Stadium / City Ground

Principality Stadium / Villa Park 

St Mary's / Falmer Stadium

Carrow Road / Portman Road

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

I get the sentiment of any Uruguayan bid, but I really can't see FIFA going 16 years between 2018 and 2034 without a World Cup in Europe. And especially having two World Cup, back to back, out with a European timezone.

Would love to see a World Cup spread over the UK and Ireland, and with the expansion of the tournament, wouldn't be such a detriment to have a number of automatic qualifying countries.

Grouping them in separate areas, would probably look something like:

Aviva Stadium / Windsor Park

Hampden Park / Murrayfield

St James Park / Stadium of Light

Anfield / Old Trafford

Wembley / Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Elland Road / Hillsborough

King Power Stadium / City Ground

Principality Stadium / Villa Park 

St Mary's / Falmer Stadium

Carrow Road / Portman Road

I hope Uruguay/Argentina win but 2026 was a North American World Cup which by all means could be similar to having the tournament in South America.

I'm not sure if FIFA counts North America and South all as one, but it sure seems like it. 

Before Brazil in 2014, it had been 20 years since they were in this part of the world.

I do hope we have a world cup in Uruguay/Argentina though, not just because I think they are good choices, but also because South American teams struggle in European World Cups.

5 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I hope Uruguay/Argentina win but 2026 was a North American World Cup which by all means could be similar to having the tournament in South America.

I'm not sure if FIFA counts North America and South all as one, but it sure seems like it. 

Before Brazil in 2014, it had been 20 years since they were in this part of the world.

I do hope we have a world cup in Uruguay/Argentina though, not just because I think they are good choices, but also because South American teams struggle in European World Cups.

Wouldn't have thought Windsor would be big enough,  

6 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Used to be like clockwork that every second World Cup was in Europe. The gap from 2006-2018 was the most its gone without being in Europe.

The 2014 World Cup was decent enough for a European audience. Think there was only a couple of games with a really late kick off. But if the 2026 World Cup is going to be at prime time in the USA/Mexico/Canada, I can see them trying to win back the European broadcasters with a 2030 tournament with much friendlies times.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

Used to be like clockwork that every second World Cup was in Europe. The gap from 2006-2018 was the most its gone without being in Europe.

The 2014 World Cup was decent enough for a European audience. Think there was only a couple of games with a really late kick off. But if the 2026 World Cup is going to be at prime time in the USA/Mexico/Canada, I can see them trying to win back the European broadcasters with a 2030 tournament with much friendlies times.

That's a very fair point, and again FIFA might live with the South American mentality that America is one continent.

1986 and 1994 was perhaps the exception to that, as 1986 was originally to be hosted in Colombia, and 1994 in the USA.

Edited by Mpache

• Subscriber

We are due another tournament. To say we're one of the few who could host one so easily, we've not had enough, especially as Mexico are getting a third World Cup before we get our second.

Uruguay and Argentina are ill-equipped to host a World Cup. It´s a bad idea, especially for the citizens of both countries who would have to foot the massive bill to adequate their stadiums and infrastructure to the standards required by FIFA and its partners.  

• Upvote 1