talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - New Contract Signed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Is Rodgers trying to hide him by playing him on the left? He's doing a pretty good job for fuck sake. Him and Tielemans in front of Ndidi or Choudhury was looking like being a midfield on a par with the title winning midfield. Why we've broken it up I have no idea.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c808b9bda3449640d3e8bdd58237059a.png

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers believes an offer from a club such as Liverpool or Manchester United may be too big for England midfielder James Maddison, 22, to turn down. (Sun)

If clubs come in for Maddison, the Foxes would demand a figure similar the £80m United paid to sign England defender Harry Maguire, 26, in the summer. (Standard)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/11/2019 at 02:03, Teso dos Bichos said:

Lcfc will be lucky to keep him around next summer of man utd is interested 

Hopefully you are not interested in any of our young players, as i know they couldn't stop the temptation of joining the mighty United.

9 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Hopefully you are not interested in any of our young players, as i know they couldn't stop the temptation of joining the mighty United.

Yeah, apparently Salah, Fabinho, Mane and VVD all want to join Utd but are scared they wont get a game. 

On 05/10/2019 at 16:10, Rick said:

You’d have to be a dope to leave Leicester for Utd if it’s for footballing reasons. Stay at Leicester another year or two and then join Liverpool instead 👀

1_madders.png

Idol: CR7

Adding: “Liverpool and Manchester United are two of the biggest clubs by far. There’s other great clubs, there’s big clubs, but those two, in terms of worldwide status, are above the other clubs.

‘There are other great clubs that are trying to catch them up but those two, in my experience, are a level above.

“So whenever a player gets an opportunity to go to a club like that, to experience that type of pressure, that expectation – and of course there’ll be a financial side to it as well, let’s be real – that as a package in a short career is maybe something that is too hard to turn down. 

I understand it, I get it.”

Yeah, I see him joining liverpool over man utd.9_9

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How underwhelming if he is meant to be Pogba's replacement. 

Seems weird to me that they seem to be seriously contemplating letting Pogba go - they're a side that's massively short on creativity and he's by far their most creative player. Rather than replace his creativity, I assume a better plan would be to supplement that creativity.

Unless those in charge have decided that it's not worth building a midfield around Pogba. But if that's the case, it was a stupid thing to spend a lot of money to bring him from Juve and promise him they'd build a side around him... only to then have him surrounded by players that are largely dogshit.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Seems weird to me that they seem to be seriously contemplating letting Pogba go - they're a side that's massively short on creativity and he's by far their most creative player. Rather than replace his creativity, I assume a better plan would be to supplement that creativity.

Unless those in charge have decided that it's not worth building a midfield around Pogba. But if that's the case, it was a stupid thing to spend a lot of money to bring him from Juve and promise him they'd build a side around him... only to then have him surrounded by players that are largely dogshit.

Or it could be they're interested in Maddison to play with Pogba? I can't imagine they'll sell Pogba. Depends what Mino wants...

EDIT: baldy beat me to it.

• Subscriber

Maddison isn't that good. At least, he isn't going to get United into the top four. £80m again, never learn. You can get two players of Maddison's quality on the continent for that much money but Ole wants to pander to the 'young English core' obsession of some United fans so that they don't ask too many questions about why they've been irrelevant for years now.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Maddison isn't that good. At least, he isn't going to get United into the top four. £80m again, never learn. You can get two players of Maddison's quality on the continent for that much money but Ole wants to pander to the 'young English core' obsession of some United fans so that they don't ask too many questions about why they've been irrelevant for years now.

I think Maddison is a good player, but yeah... not an £80m player. Honestly, I don't really understand United's strategy in the transfer market right now - if they want a 4-3-3 with Martial, Greenwood, and Rashford up top... I feel like they signed the wrong right back in Wan-Bissaka; with that front 3 you'll be needing width to come from fullbacks and for as immense as Wan-Bissaka is defensively, he really just doesn't offer a lot going forward. I'd assumed with his signing and Daniel James, the plan was go with an old school style fullback and have width from wingers; but now it looks as though that front 3 of those strikers is the approach United want to take going forward.

I don't think Maddison's the sort of player that'll transform their midfield to get them where they want to be, or paper over the cracks of having a fullback that's not really suited to playing with the system it looks like Ole thinks is United's best. But I also feel like United aren't really sure on what the best way to go forward is - which is probably troubling for their fans because lack of vision and long term focus is why they're where they are right now.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Maddison is a good player, but yeah... not an £80m player. Honestly, I don't really understand United's strategy in the transfer market right now - if they want a 4-3-3 with Martial, Greenwood, and Rashford up top... I feel like they signed the wrong right back in Wan-Bissaka; with that front 3 you'll be needing width to come from fullbacks and for as immense as Wan-Bissaka is defensively, he really just doesn't offer a lot going forward. I'd assumed with his signing and Daniel James, the plan was go with an old school style fullback and have width from wingers; but now it looks as though that front 3 of those strikers is the approach United want to take going forward.

I don't think Maddison's the sort of player that'll transform their midfield to get them where they want to be, or paper over the cracks of having a fullback that's not really suited to playing with the system it looks like Ole thinks is United's best. But I also feel like United aren't really sure on what the best way to go forward is - which is probably troubling for their fans because lack of vision and long term focus is why they're where they are right now.

I think more is made of AWB’s attacking output than necessary. He’s not a dud going forward he’s just good defensively, United just need a centre mid that can interact with him out wide whereas Liverpool need defensive workhorses to cover the overly attacking output of TAA/Robertson

19 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think more is made of AWB’s attacking output than necessary. He’s not a dud going forward he’s just good defensively, United just need a centre mid that can interact with him out wide whereas Liverpool need defensive workhorses to cover the overly attacking output of TAA/Robertson

AWB makes good runs going forward, but his crossing isn't great - and with those 3 up top there isn't as much natural width because the most natural of those out wide is Rashford and he's also the type to cut inside and go for goal. Taking us out of the equation even (I also wouldn't necessarily say our midfield is made up of defensive workhorses either tbh, Fabinho that's a fair shout but the rest of them I think what Klopp's gone for is really well rounded and versatile midfielders), when I think about the sides that had very good attacks but that didn't provide much natural width - like say Ancelotti's AC Milan (an example inspired by your signature), they had their width provided by some very good fullbacks like Cafu and Zambrotta.

It's one of the reason I think United struggle against deep lying and compact sides, personally. And for the record, although I've stated it on here many times, I think AWB is a great fullback - I understand why they bought him. And you're right, he's not a dud going forward and if they do have a midfielder that can interact with him out wide... United will be able to make the most out of his runs forward.

Would Maddison be that midfielder? I have no idea, tbh. I don't think he's worth that kind of money though.

• The title was changed to James Maddison - New Contract Signed

Archived