• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - New Contract Signed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

Course they don’t announce it but word gets out sometimes don’t it

Yeah but that's usually when they're wanting away from a club and their agent has leaked it to the press. Or to a club that their client wants them to move to, and then that club will release that info to a journo who'll then go public with it.

You don't typically hear about it with a player that's just signed a new extension (probably because he's not looking for a move away as he's extended his contract). There are also clubs that get pretty clever (deceptively clever, sometimes) with their release clauses - like the one for Suarez we had, where if it was £40m+ from a CL side we would have to "seriously consider" the bid; which doesn't really commit the club into selling. And then when he resigned with us, it was public knowledge that he now had an actual release clause... but I don't think the actual value was ever really announced.

I'd imagine there are probably clauses in a contract that provide some sort of incentive for players/agents to want their release clause to be secret too... just because the clubs have good reason to keep these values hidden from their competitors.

• Subscriber

You know since the goal and assist discussion in this thread he didn't get a single goal or assist afterwards. He was yet another who really tailed off in the second half.

I think he's a massively talented player and it's good for us to get him tied down but I think he's capable of more than he actually produces at times.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Fuss seems to have calmed down about Maddison, think he's still on the radar of some of the bigger clubs?

If I'm a bigger club I'm definitely leaving it for a year to see if he's all that. I do think he has the talent but his numbers are nothing special. Grealish quite simply outperformed him.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

If I'm a bigger club I'm definitely leaving it for a year to see if he's all that. I do think he has the talent but his numbers are nothing special. Grealish quite simply outperformed him.

Before his injury he was one of the top 3 players in the league for chances created. Think it was only Grealish and KDB that were ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Fuss seems to have calmed down about Maddison, think he's still on the radar of some of the bigger clubs?

He’s clearly got talent, he just didn’t look as good as he did earlier in the season... so I have no idea what scouts of big clubs might think.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

If he has the talent clearly now was the time to buy him, well, before his renewal 

Well yeah, that’s one obvious reason Leicester have extended his contract. They can now demand whatever they want for him for a few more seasons, as opposed to feeling tempted to let him go with a good bid and a year left.

• Subscriber

I honestly think he'll probably be here another 2/3 years at least. I don't think anybody will take that gamble. He could cost nearly £100mil I think and would you really pay that? I wouldn't.

I think he's good but he's got to show a bit more to get a big move.

Archived