talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lack of German strikers and defenders

What has happened to the German academies?  Is there a future generation of star defenders and strikers for the national team to select?

the talent pool seems pretty shallow in terms of selection in these areas. 

Are there players that I am overlooking?

On a side note I would keep kimmich as a defender rather than midfielder. Need more help in the back. 

Thoughts? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Which age group are we talking about here? 18-23 year olds good enough to be in the national team in the near future or U18 teenage talents who are expected to develop into good players in 5 years time or so?

I think currently there's a bit of a crisis in general when it come to youth talents in Germany.

35 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

On a side note I would keep kimmich as a defender rather than midfielder. Need more help in the back.

That's a no-brainer. It needs average coaches like Löw and Kovac to come up with such a stupid idea.

Kimmich has all the tools to become a worldclass right-back while in midfield he is just solid. As for the German nationalteam it's even more stupid due to the lack of decent full-backs in Germany.

The game has enough coaches who know better - they believe it so they take a player who is both good and potentially brilliant and make him play the way they want as opposed to the way he knows and performs well - Tedesco was our Roy Hodgson as opposed to Wagner following the Klopp idea of giving players instructions simply to do what they are best at!  Liverpool are benefitting from that and young Johnny from Everton is taking Wagner's similar attitude and showing what a great future he has already at the start of his time with us and his award as the Rookie of the Month at the start of his time in Germany!.  Meanwhile after leading the German Olympic team to the final - and scoring the only goal, young Max was persecuted by Tedesco and has spent the last two games in London on the bench!  Josh Kimmich is the future Philip Lahm for Germany (if he isn't that now perhaps) - Jaydon at BVB is revelling in the freedom he has been given and Gareth Southgate let him have that same freedom this week in Southampton. Some kids love Maths - some hate it and love the IT sector or putting cars back together, but I would never let my Maths Teacher loose on my vehicle's exhaust system!  Brazil has prospered at International level for years letting kids from the streets develop their talent and abilities better than most other countries.  To all those in charge of teams in the beautiful game, please learn from that! Get them fit, keep them happy and let them get on with doing what they do best!

Germany have real problem for the national team in midfield, they have no player that is good at keeping the ball.

There does seem to be a lack of German talent about as German teams are now trying to get young English and Dutch players for example instead of using their own.

I wonder if Germany are pouring less money into football now compared to a decade or two ago when they went hard on it after losing the semi in 2006...? Sometimes the talent production can be linked to the money spent at that lower level...

Another thing is typical there can also be a lazy generation following a golden one.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wonder if Germany are pouring less money into football now compared to a decade or two ago when they went hard on it after losing the semi in 2006...? Sometimes the talent production can be linked to the money spent at that lower level...

Another thing is typical there can also be a lazy generation following a golden one.

Germany started the overhaul of the whole youth system after the debacle in Euro 2000 and it's still following the same path where it's obligatory for the clubs to operate centrally regulated training academies with regular and strict quality assessments etc (in fact it's part of the requirements for the league license). So I believe that the money flow is still at the same level and even increasing; so it shouldn't be a problem. 

Your second point is interesting; I remember reading a few articles/interviews of coaches and other people involved in youth development in Germany and there have been quite a few complaints about the mental attributes of the new generation; especially in terms of will power, mental strength and resilience. I'm sure it's not the main reason behind the apparent lack of upcoming (super)talents but it could well be contributing to it. 

It's a good thing that people responsible for youth development also identify the need to adjust the current system and make changes to it though. I read some suggestions for introducing new training concepts focusing more on creativity and ball control than tactical knowledge which apparently has been seen as a key point for years; provide better training to youth coaches and reform the way the kids are trained at the very young age. 

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You're asking about Henrichs, I suppose? He's playing with AS Monaco at the moment. Don't know how he does as I don't follow the French league.

Yes that's the player.  I remember him during the confederations cup in 2017. But he faded away since. 

Draxler is another from that team who faded

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I said this was a problem years and years ago. Now it's starting to bite.

Quite unlikely the DFB would listen to a gronk outta North-NSW, especially posted on a football forum.

Young players grow up and improve in systems which are comfortable to them and their talent develops as they play more in that zone.  Take young Julian and after a period with  a poor coach he leaves for another side playing a different game but still manages to look Ok - so much so that PSG moved in and then tried to change his game, his thinking and his comfort zone - Under Tedesco and Tonnies, young Max changed from a brilliant forward thinking mid-fielder to an introverted unsure young guy - Brazil was great and Crystal Palace is the pits - Jaydon at BVB is happy but a change to the UK or Spain could be disastrous.  The system at BVB and Munich supports and listens to the kids - Kloppy is bringing that to Anfield with great results, but take them away and out of their comfort zone and their heads go all over.  I used to follow the Pink Floyd adage and hope that some of our present coaches do the same - 'Hey Teacher! leave our kids alone'  Help them do what they do best - change them and they're just another brick in the wall.  Supporters old and young should sit back and support - not get involved with what the good managers and coaches are doing - Club Officials sometimes have a lot to answer for by interfering and making it go wrong before it actually does. Just accept that young people these days know a hell of a lot more than we ever did and that will increase year on year.(Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World)  We should not try and change them, just nurture their abilities and ambitions and sit back and enjoy what they can do. Southgate, Klopp, Favre and Flick seem to be getting it right and that appears to be the common factor.  I look forward to the next World Cup series and seeing young Josh lead out the German team as I suggested on here last September!

• 2 weeks later...

Today is P M Neuer's birthday and I was just thinking of the kids who were with him or just entering school when he left who are now playing Pro Football.  That school would be able to raise  great team playing now so here is my suggestions for a 5-3-3 system - all from the same place of learning:  Can any other compete?

Neuer

Kehrer   Matip      Ayhan     Howedes    Kolasinac

Gundogan     Ozil     Meyer

Sane       Avdijaj    Draxler

Would take some beating?

There was one in class who came from Bochum every day on the bus which arrived always late - he got the nick-name 'später' which stuck as he played in defence and always got there after the ball went past him - leave it to you who misses out from the squad but as this area seems to have died lately I thought someone might start to post again if there was a Chance to stimulate the odd isolating brain!

2 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

There was one in class who came from Bochum every day on the bus which arrived always late - he got the nick-name 'später' which stuck as he played in defence and always got there after the ball went past him

Isn't Höwedes from Haltern?

Archived