• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why Do/Don’t You Like Women’s Football?

football forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Not at Fremantle but Fremantle play their home games at the Optus Stadium. Yeah it was free tickets but it still shows the appetite for the game there as it was a massive amount of people that turned out. You very much couldn’t give free tickets away to a lot of people for women’s football for example

Optus stadium was relatively new too. Many factors. If they did it again no chance 40,000 would come out. 

• Administrator

I've only ever watched a handful of matches (mainly English-based/England or a couple of international tournaments).

I find it's very laboured and slow. The quality is vastly underwhelming. Maybe in 10-20 years when it continues to get investment and air-time, the standard might increase as you'd get more people involved at younger ages and more investment at grass-roots level. But it'll take time to get personally invested in to it amongst all other sports I watch.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've only ever watched a handful of matches (mainly English-based/England or a couple of international tournaments).

I find it's very laboured and slow. The quality is vastly underwhelming. Maybe in 10-20 years when it continues to get investment and air-time, the standard might increase as you'd get more people involved at younger ages and more investment at grass-roots level. But it'll take time to get personally invested in to it amongst all other sports I watch.

Honestly I'm not sure it will ever will become great standard. I think @Devil-Dick Willie summed up it nicely. Women have different bodies and less conditioned for the game. I'm not saying to not support it, on the contrary. I'm just saying the way a women is built, its a bit tough to get their game as fast as the mens game. I honestly hope it keeps growing for the sake of equality, but it will never catch up to the mens game in standard. 

Like you said, I can't get invested in it because we already follow other things and it takes time to learn all the new players, managers, etc. It's like following a new sport.

• Administrator

I like women's football, there are some skillful players. But I don't like the bullshit identity politics currently doing the rounds perpetrated by Rapinoe. The women's game cannot is not yet at a place where it can even remotely claim to be at the same level of quality as the men's game. It would be like me demanding to be acknowledged as good as my friends womens netball team simply because I refuse to accept reality. 

2 hours ago, Toinho said:

Optus stadium was relatively new too. Many factors. If they did it again no chance 40,000 would come out. 

Yeah definitely but I've watched plenty of WAFL and WNRL on television over there and the crowds always seemed good...40,000 regardless is a big number that shows an appetite for the game (not saying they'd be hitting 40k regularly)

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Batard said:

I like women's football, there are some skillful players. But I don't like the bullshit identity politics currently doing the rounds perpetrated by Rapinoe. The women's game cannot is not yet at a place where it can even remotely claim to be at the same level of quality as the men's game. It would be like me demanding to be acknowledged as good as my friends womens netball team simply because I refuse to accept reality. 

This is a good point.

I get that she wants to make a message and a statement but if anything she does/has done more damage than good. 

Until the women's game gets anywhere near as much money as the men's game makes, there's no way on earth that the women's game can afford to pay their players as much as the men's game. It's not sustainable at all if it did happen.

• Subscriber

Women play football now?!

In all seriousness, watched a few games and whilst the quality isn't on par with the men's game at the top level, it's still entertaining to watch. I watch Grimsby week in and week out so can't get much worse than that! o.O

Archived