Ad Astra

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Just got back. Meh.

Cinematography was stunning as was Brad Pitt. However, just felt the story was lacking and they were concentrating so much on the spectacle that they forgot the substance.

I didn't go as something else came up and might reconsider now...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I didn't go as something else came up and might reconsider now...

I’d still watch if you get the chance. 5 of us went and we all felt the same. Again, the actual experience was great. Watched it in iSense luxury seats as well so that was a bonus B|

• Subscriber
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I’d still watch if you get the chance. 5 of us went and we all felt the same. Again, the actual experience was great. Watched it in iSense luxury seats as well so that was a bonus B|

I don't have the slightest idea what that is xD 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Glorified sound and vision I believe... 

We are going for these next time we go out.. 

1052_ODEON_LUXE_CAROUSEL_460X2609.jpg

If the film we go to see is too boring I can sneak in a crafty kip... B|

I want that at home...

It seems from the bulk of the reviews that I have been reading that visually it's quite stunning just other aspects of it let it down.. won't really know until I have seen it for myself though but not sure I want to fork out the best part of £20-30 to find out.. 

• 2 months later...

I watched it and loved it, and would even place this amongst my favourite space flicks. 

First and foremost I am disappointed it didn't release in India, despite stating a date and all. It was only shown in couple of festivals. This movie deserves to be seen in a theatre - preferably Imax  cause it's visually stunning. The sets of Moon or Mars, or the space scenes are stunning. 

The acting is top notch. Brad Pitt gives one of the best performance of his career. Shame that this year it won't even be acknowledged in awards ceremonies, considering some of the other performances by other actors. 

I found the core plot intriguing. The message it gives is beautiful. I don't have to agree with what it says about aliens, but still it was nice. 

Now for the issues. And they are quite a few.

The story seems a wee bit chaotic at times. There is a lack of focus. The way it touches upon religion (or spirituality) could have been done better. 

It puts a heavy emphasis on the science, and yet in the last ten minutes or so just chucks it all away, as it rushes to its ending. 

It is not pretentious, though it makes an effort to be. However, it is not. The themes are easy to understand. 

This is more of movie on human relationships and our civilization, against the space backdrop. A lot of people will find the message too simplistic. But overall this is a good movie.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I watched it and loved it, and would even place this amongst my favourite space flicks. 

First and foremost I am disappointed it didn't release in India, despite stating a date and all. It was only shown in couple of festivals. This movie deserves to be seen in a theatre - preferably Imax  cause it's visually stunning. The sets of Moon or Mars, or the space scenes are stunning. 

The acting is top notch. Brad Pitt gives one of the best performance of his career. Shame that this year it won't even be acknowledged in awards ceremonies, considering some of the other performances by other actors. 

I found the core plot intriguing. The message it gives is beautiful. I don't have to agree with what it says about aliens, but still it was nice. 

Now for the issues. And they are quite a few.

The story seems a wee bit chaotic at times. There is a lack of focus. The way it touches upon religion (or spirituality) could have been done better. 

It puts a heavy emphasis on the science, and yet in the last ten minutes or so just chucks it all away, as it rushes to its ending. 

It is not pretentious, though it makes an effort to be. However, it is not. The themes are easy to understand. 

This is more of movie on human relationships and our civilization, against the space backdrop. A lot of people will find the message too simplistic. But overall this is a good movie.

Good to finally hear a good review... I will give it a go next then. 

Saw it this morning and to be fair it was better than I had been led to believe it would be.... not for everyone and I can see why my daughter probably didn't enjoy it that much but well worth a look, the opening scenes alone were amazing.. Toward the end you did get the sense of how lonely it would be during deep space exploration.. not the ending to it I was expecting either

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just watched it. Didn't like it :( 

The visuals were great, so was the world building and I liked the topics it tried to explore but other than that, I thought the movie just felt short everywhere else. 

Archived