talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fernando Ricksen Dies After Motor-Neurone Disease Battle

football forum

• Subscriber

Jesus, only 43 years old, what a waste, R.I.P. Fernando and my thoughts go out to all the loved ones you left behind, great when you played for the Gers.

Quote.thumb.png.5b192ee11b1d4422aab46d5f6c5c550c.png

_108853833_823744.jpg

Fernando Ricksen was captain as Rangers won the Scottish Premier League in 2005

Former Rangers player Fernando Ricksen has died at age 43, the Ibrox club has confirmed.

The Netherlands international had been suffering from motor neurone disease.

Ricksen was a fans' favourite during his six-year spell at Rangers after being signed by compatriot Dick Advocaat in 2000.

He helped the Ibrox club win the domestic cup double in 2002, the treble in 2003 and a League Cup and league double in 2005.

Rangers said they were "deeply saddened" to be announced the news of Ricksen's passing.

"The thoughts of everyone at Rangers is today with his wife Veronika, his daughter Isabella and all his family and friends," the club added.

Premiership clubs Aberdeen and Celtic tweeted their condolences.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49740638

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

There’s been a lot of research recently with regards to the links between MND and high level sports athletes. Apparently they’re 8 times more likely to get the disease which is astonishing.

Is it because they put themselves through a lot harsher muscle usage/regiment? I'd imagine that the risks of being in a contact sport also make it worse since damage is possible in various scenarios.

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Is it because they put themselves through a lot harsher muscle usage/regiment? I'd imagine that the risks of being in a contact sport also make it worse since damage is possible in various scenarios.

It’s possible, although you’re still using relatively small sample studies as it only effects 1/50,000 people. Research proposes that a general increase in high level fitness/sports gives that increased risk. The clues in the title I suppose as high level athletes will be using their motor neurons far more than the average human. What potential damage caused by this is still unknown. However, my mate died of MND at 31 and wasn’t sporty at all.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d605f1dcd3b51861dd979c532fa31c4f.png

Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 11:15

by Rangers Football Club

Fernando Ricksen  -  Full Report From Rangers FC

"In October 2013, he revealed he was suffering from motor neuron disease, and since then, has fought a terrific battle against the condition, raising awareness and funds for the Fernando Ricksen Foundation which aims to help others suffering from the illness.

A benefit match was held at Ibrox in January 2015 and attracted over 41,000 fans to Ibrox. It raised £320,000 with the proceeds split between Fernando, his daughter Isabella, MND Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation."

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c33089a876526a53c5b5fadad1e0a1a5.png

'He leaves an indelible legacy to this world, far beyond the realm of football'

Former Rangers player Fernando Ricksen dies aged 43 after motor neurone disease battle

Fifa President Gianni Infantino on the passing of Fernando Ricksen: “Today we lost much more than an exceptional footballer: Fernando was the embodiment of what it means to react with kindness and solidarity in face of adversity.

"His commitment to the fight against motor neurone disease leaves an indelible legacy to this world, far beyond the realm of football. My thoughts are with his wife, his daughter, his family and friends".

14371460-7729-4c4a-94b0-38cfaf8f117b.jpg

• The title was changed to Fernando Ricksen Dies After Motor-Neurone Disease Battle
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c1f0c1120ff3447b91a78cdcc7dd32fd.png

Rangers 1-0 Feyenoord: Steven Gerrard praises 'fitting' Fernando Ricksen tribute

_108878001_19293995.jpg

Rangers gave the family of former captain Fernando Ricksen "a performance to be proud of" by beating Feyenoord in the Europa League, says Steven Gerrard.

Sheyi Ojo netted the only goal just a day after Ricksen lost his battle with motor neurone disease.

"It's been an emotional 24 hours for everyone connected with the club," said the Rangers manager.

"Everyone was looking for a performance for Fernando's young family to be proud of."

FULL REPORT

Archived