talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham 2-0 Man Utd - Sunday 22nd September, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

I saw the odds pre-season for the league table without the 'big 6'.

Everton 7/2, Wolves 7/2, Leicester 4/1, next was West Ham at something like 12/1.

That to me just made no sense and I wish I'd backed it. I'm not saying they're better than us (I think we ever so slightly edge them) but they were never that much behind the others there. We only came above them on goal difference last season.

West Ham's problem is when they're bad they're horrendous and it sticks in the head more.

They're a good side. I do think they lack a bit of pace but they aren't to be taken lightly at all. I fear them more than Everton and Wolves at the minute.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I thought West Ham were thrown into that group, albeit as the fourth of four, more often than not when it was discussed. 

I wasn't too scared of Wolves because I thought they'd struggle to emulate last season even if they didn't have Europe in there to deal with as well. I didn't think they'd flounder anything like as much as they have. Leicester were always going to be decent, and should finish ahead of us. West Ham still need to prove they've got more consistency but they've made a good start. I still think we won't be far off because as soon as it's too little too late we'll start playing again and come back within 2-3 points of Leicester and or West Ham by the end of the season because Everton gonna Everton.

Sounds like I’m just saying it but I did debate backing West Ham purely because of the odds.

I was wary of Wolves because of European Football and not many signings till late in the window, Everton for me hadn’t signed a first choice striker (Kean’s a good prospect but can they expect Goals from him at 19, unlikely) and I don’t rate Silva and I wasn’t sure how Leicester would do, purely because of the whole “honeymoon period” you see when teams change a manager (ala that Shakespeare bloke). That said, it’s so very West Ham to get a result off United but you can guarantee they’ll get a 3-0 tonking off Norwich or Bournemouth. 

In conclusion, it’ll be much like last season with a number of teams showing equal measures of quality and crap performances and you can almost pluck a name out of a hat. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

In conclusion, it’ll be much like last season with a number of teams showing equal measures of quality and crap performances and you can almost pluck a name out of a hat. 

This is why Man Utd will probably finish top six again despite being utter gash. Leicester are the only team I reckon can be consistent enough over the season to get in there instead of them.

• Subscriber
On 21/09/2019 at 08:13, CaaC (John) said:

Hammers under Pellegrini has got them ticking along nicely

What I said about Pelegrini that he is a good manager and I will stick by that, City stabbed him in the back when they sacked him after winning them the EPL Title and 2 League Cups, I would love him to get appointed to a big club with the dosh to spend.

1207702971_download(1).png.558d5d168c0eb5587ed676b0fd5d3886.png   

• The topic was unpinned

West Ham have a better manager than us (and he ain't all that) and definitely a better first XI than us too. That is how far we have fallen. Dogshit performance from players who should all have been fined after this. Maybe if footballers had to earn their money they wouldn't be so utterly useless

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Vegan Kel said:

West Ham have a better manager than us (and he ain't all that) and definitely a better first XI than us too. That is how far we have fallen. Dogshit performance from players who should all have been fined after this. Maybe if footballers had to earn their money they wouldn't be so utterly useless

I have always said Pellegrini was a good manager and was stabbed in the back by City then given the boot, I would have had him as manager like a shot when Jose got the heave-ho and then make Ole one of the back-room staff, I am beginning to wonder who is trying to run the United team at the moment, Ole or Carrick & Phelan pulling the strings and Ole just agreeing with them?  

Archived