talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Concussion Substitutes

football forum

Christoph Kramer does not recall much about the 2014 World Cup Final.

There’s nothing particularly unusual about that. It was hardly a classic and Germany won (again). Except for the fact the midfielder lifted the trophy after playing against Argentina at the Maracana that day.

Kramer’s memories of the final are a little foggy, but his experience was the spark for a campaign that will see football finally catch up with the rest of global sport in terms of how to handle concussions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I was reading this today too and saw the comments section which kind of makes sense too. For example, someone said that it might cause more tactical chaos that managers might just opt to play the 10 minutes without the sub instead of bringing a player on then taking them off if the concussion is cleared by the medical team. I think FIFA is doing the right thing here and giving this the attention it requires but I am not sure if the concussion sub is a necessary add. 

There’s an investigation into the use of such substitutes in Rugby League at present, as there’s some suspicion that some clubs are using this as a “free” sub to get some rest into some of their players (because in Rugby League subs can come back on once they’ve gone off). 

It’s definitely worked in Rugby League despite this, mind. Before it was almost a badge of honour if a player had received a head knock and had stayed on the pitch, whereas now players are forced to come off and that’s the correct thing to do. 

The big incident that comes to mind is the JPT Final when Dean Henderson, then on loan at Shrewsbury copped an elbow from a Lincoln striker and was out cold for a few seconds at least. He stayed on and within a few minutes Lincoln scored the only goal of the game. We’ll never know if he was in the right state to play on mind. 

• Subscriber

Not quite sold on the idea of a temporary sub. If it's suspected concussion, the player should miss the rest of the match and get substituted. That's the only way I can see it making sense without causing the 'tactical chaos'.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

There’s an investigation into the use of such substitutes in Rugby League at present, as there’s some suspicion that some clubs are using this as a “free” sub to get some rest into some of their players (because in Rugby League subs can come back on once they’ve gone off). 

It’s definitely worked in Rugby League despite this, mind. Before it was almost a badge of honour if a player had received a head knock and had stayed on the pitch, whereas now players are forced to come off and that’s the correct thing to do. 

The big incident that comes to mind is the JPT Final when Dean Henderson, then on loan at Shrewsbury copped an elbow from a Lincoln striker and was out cold for a few seconds at least. He stayed on and within a few minutes Lincoln scored the only goal of the game. We’ll never know if he was in the right state to play on mind. 

Was that the Matt Rhead incident? He definitely should have been subbed off!

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I think keepers especially should be taken off. Just look at Karius in the Champions League final a couple of seasons ago!

Still suffering now if yesterday is anything to go by...

Archived