• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2020 General Chat

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I’m going to start in the National League South when I get home this weekend. I don’t think many/anyone has stepped down to that level before and I expect that the limited ability of the players and the finances on offer to manage at that level, will provide something of a test that will be challenging but enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Think I’m going to start in the National League South when I get home this weekend. I don’t think many/anyone has stepped down to that level before and I expect that the limited ability of the players and the finances on offer to manage at that level, will provide something of a test that will be challenging but enjoyable. 

I have but on mobile (did a file with Weston-Super-Mare on FM18 I think), which is significantly stripped back compared to the PC version. I'd expect it'd be much harder on PC. 

• 2 weeks later...

I go through stages with FM. I’m either all in and it consumes me and my spare time or I’m not arsed and don’t play it for a couple of weeks. 

Fancy being a proper dickhead and going to Macclesfield. I can’t imagine they have a) many players b) any good players left at that c) any money to spend d) much hope of survival in League Two. 

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

I too am tempted to give FM another shot but hate the tactics side of it and it bores the fuck out of me. Am I better off with Touch or Mobile versions instead?

I think @The Palace Fan was playing the Touch version more. The mobile version is the most stripped back by removing the likes of media conferences and the more in depth tactics of the game. Because of this, you can get through seasons much quicker.

However, you can only do 30 seasons for a save (which for me is more than enough, though others may want more) and because it's stripped back, it won't be as in depth (such as backroom staff, transfers etc) compared to the other two. 

• Administrator
On 06/03/2020 at 01:50, Dan said:

Story of this season then.

I didn't receive a great budget (shock) but I for once was allowed to keep a lot of the money we took in, and we made a few sales, most significantly Bella-Kotchap to Leipzig - I pulled a blinder however by negotiating their £9mil offer to £9mil plus a loan back for the season, which all parties agreed, so I got him back, no wages paid, and will only feel the brunt of it next season - hopefully post promotion.

I've raised in total around £14mil and spent around £4mil, loads of that on loanees though which is the catch with my team, although I've got a couple of them permanently in the summer on frees.

I'm still ultimately learning what works and what doesn't on the game. When it comes to tactics I've always been a believer that ultimately there's no absolutely perfect method and that ultimately it's about creating whatever fits for your team. However now that I finally have the ability to bring a significant number of players in, I'm going to attempt to play tiki-taka.

Mistake.

image.thumb.png.fee36f7c0654fcba6198ca67d704e159.png

Despite a very strong start, we were very quickly sussed and we were routinely having 70% of the ball and getting less created than our opposition - we had morphed into the kind of side we used to gobble up two years ago.

So I reverted to 4-4-1-1 wing play, the system that got me up last time, which is a bit daft in a way due to my signings but I still think I had the personnel in the squad to pull it off - I ultimately try and sign quite a variety of players and mix it a bit.

image.thumb.png.d43d61196c409518404ab3de1c17fc62.png

Improvement for a while but ultimately it wasn't really good enough. In January I controversially signed Gary Cahill - now hear me out, the last time we got promoted, I had a very limited, albeit leader type of defender at the back in Patrick Fabian. He was ageing back then, ultimately not great anyway and a big injury at the end of last season forced him into retirement, so I hoped Cahill would have this kind of effect.

He hasn't really. Cahill played in the Nurnberg game and I subbed him after half an hour, tactically, because we were getting absolutely destroyed by a bottom half side. Now in fairness the score was only 1-0, but I'm not exaggerating when I say it could've been 5. What did eventually pan out was a disgrace mind you as we equalised late on, conceded in the 88th minute to go 2-1 down, miraculously stole the most undeserved of points in the 96th minute and still managed to lose.

I made another tweak. I changed the 4-4-1-1 to 4-2-3-1, same instructions, just a bit more attacking. The rest is history.

image.thumb.png.5d2df75fbbab3bbf2a5f1b513ff73c35.png

image.thumb.png.a68bff4621dc82bd64fe39820dd34c63.png

Now our last two games are against Hannover (h) and Arminia Bielefeld (a) which are both massive but basically, avoid two defeats and we're up, and I see absolutely no reason with our soaring confidence and form that we're going to lose two games out of nothing.

image.thumb.png.d3ae32c738d6f13a1c24712933d50e83.png

image.png.16b8f310848b4ebcad322e1e28dc5eda.png

I feel like the deadline day move to bring in Yves Bissouma on loan, something I only did because I thought I was about to lose Sascha Promel to Koln for a release clause, has been pivotal because he's totally changed the dynamic of our side. I feel like he stops us being over-run in midfield despite being relatively light there, much like Kante at Leicester. I want him signing in the summer permanently although I'd take a loan.

image.thumb.png.9d714450bceb05dc8cd6846184624ec5.png

Too many players on loan ultimately but we've done the job without really spending that much. It's been very good after all.

Truly am into this game. Really enjoying it to be honest.

What version, touch?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

What version, touch?

This is the full version. I've quite gotten into it actually but it is quite slow, though that's likely my laptop that's about due an upgrade.

It's realistic I think but it's going to br hard to turn a provincial club like Bochum into anything significant. What's good however is I feel more tempted to take other jobs and I've never really had that on FM, which is obviously unrealistic.

6 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I think @The Palace Fan was playing the Touch version more. The mobile version is the most stripped back by removing the likes of media conferences and the more in depth tactics of the game. Because of this, you can get through seasons much quicker.

However, you can only do 30 seasons for a save (which for me is more than enough, though others may want more) and because it's stripped back, it won't be as in depth (such as backroom staff, transfers etc) compared to the other two. 

Touch is great. Its FM17 with updated tactics and a fast engine. Got absolutely no regrets.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Still confused which version to get for my tablet. Which one means I don’t have to do much tactics crap?

Touch I would imagine.

I was going to start off as Catania, in Serie C, they’re a decent sized club and I was surprised that they’d had Diego Simeone as manager at one point. I might manage them at some point, but not now. 

I’m going home to fire up Football Manager and start my new save and then I will update. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

I was going to start off as Catania, in Serie C, they’re a decent sized club and I was surprised that they’d had Diego Simeone as manager at one point. I might manage them at some point, but not now. 

I’m going home to fire up Football Manager and start my new save and then I will update. 

Sounds like BBC have cottoned on to Football Manager. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51904874

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

FM20 is now available to play for free for one week, from Wednesday March 18 to 3pm GMT on Wednesday March 25.

That's random as hell but good to hear. Guessing it's via Steam? 

EDIT: Nvm, just saw via Steam. Would be interested but my 10 year old Macbook might explode. 

• Administrator
On 15/03/2020 at 22:36, Pyfish said:

Still confused which version to get for my tablet. Which one means I don’t have to do much tactics crap?

I've using the mobile version on my iPad. Loving it 

Finally bought this game due to existing and upcoming self-isolation boredom. Any suggestions for a good team to start with? For the past 3-4 years I've always started with Fortuna Düsseldorf and never managed anyone else. Maybe it's time for something else. I thought of Palermo, as I used to like them in the past, and now they got demoted to Serie D. I don't even know if that's a playable league. 

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived