Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Football Manager 2020

football forum

Graphical improvements and a new development feature seem to be the main ones.

What do we think of the new games look?

Don’t care, really. I’m pretty simplistic when it comes to FM and I get it and play it regardless of what the general consensus is. I’m not really bothered by graphical improvements or whatever a development feature is as long as I can while away copious hours of the proceeding year starting unemployed and trying to keep Hampton & Richmond Borough in the National League South. 

Im surprised they're blagging about the matchday and manager graphical improvements as they still look shite.

I'm going to go with the touch version going forward. It's pretty much FM17 which worked great and I can play it quickly on the tablet. 

I worked in the top end on FM19 with Lisbon, Barca and Chelsea which I almost found too easy so this time round I'm going for AFC Wimbledon. Home of The Wombles, Tennis, The Crazy Gang and the lead singer of Mumford and Sons. I started with them on FM12 so I think I can get away with another visit now.

Does anybody use data editor? I use to to put myself on lol.

7 hours ago, MUFC said:

Does anybody use data editor? I use to to put myself on lol.

I always used it to correct the competition and some club names. But there's a patch for it nowadays. 

Might be just about time for me to get sucked in by a new FM, possibly for the last time.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Might be just about time for me to get sucked in by a new FM, possibly for the last time.

It's why I mainly stick to the mobile or, at a push, the Touch version on Switch. The main game has gotten so bloated and due to the general lack of time, I can barely make progress. 

I started playing FM 2019 again not to long ago, and I'm currently in 2025. I have no desire to get FM 2020 at the moment to be honest. Saw some screenshots and it looks exactly like 19.

If anyone here gets the full version, let me know how it is. 

I’m guessing our resident Peruvian has been banned or has requested his account is activated for whatever reason, so the FM threads and posts have fallen by the wayside, unfortunately. This was always one of my favourite places on the site and I enjoyed reading other’s exploits across the world of management. 

I got FM20 for Christmas and have managed to find a few hours here and there to play so far. I won’t reveal too much, as I’m on my phone and away from my laptop but I will give the following clues. 

- I am managing in a Capital City. 
- This city, across all of its sides, has not housed a top division title since 1960. 

I got this for Christmas but it's a CD install and my laptop doesn't have a disc drive so I'm having to wait until I can log on to my Steam on someone else's computer and install it to my Steam and download it to my laptop on my Steam.

Managing Heart of Midlothian. Last bought a league title back to Edinburgh in 1960, haven’t won the Scottish League Cup since 1962 and eight Scottish Cups, but only two this millennium. Simply, I want to win a league title and break up the Celtic-Rangers monopoly on the league in Scotland. 

Have one more game in the month of September, which I will probably play tomorrow, and then I will do a quarterly update. So far though, it’s all going to plan. 

Did a season with AFC Wimbledon:

- Aimed to avoid relegation.

- Felt like a bad season but had two purple patches which led to a 10th placed finish. Three points off the playoffs.

- Created a good relationship with Brentford which has led me to cherry picking their better B side players.

- Sold our academy gem Paul Kalambyi to Sheffield United, which has financed the move to the new ground.

A big overhaul is needed in the summer as I want players that can play a high pressing game. Its going to be a lot of loans as we cant afford too many agent fees.

Will get around to writing a bit of a write-up on life at Hearts so far but the main bit of news is beating Celtic 3-2 in the Betfred Cup Semi-Final to set up a tie with St Johnstone (who beat Dundee United in the other semi) in the Final. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmNlNQeBNw3U3JijmN1yD

Heart of Midlothian Football Club - 2019/20

So, Hearts then. One of the Scottish capital's two major sides and Edinburgh hasn't seen a top division title since 1960, so ultimately, I'm here to attempt to break the monopoly that Celtic and Rangers have had on Scottish Football's elite league for a long time. 

I need to clever at Hearts, money is sparse in Scotland and more so if you're not the Old Firm so my transfer strategy was always going to be different. I need to find value in 'other' places than the norm. Having looked at it, England is overpriced, as is the Scottish Premier League and I cannot afford anyone from any of Europe's major leagues. I began the search in Scandinavia and have since expanded it further afield. 

--------------------------------------

Summer Transfers In - Sixten Jensen (from Sogndal) £150,000, Tashan Oakley-Boothe (season-long loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Mirza Husic (free transfer from Braband IF), Ola Solbakken (from Ranheim) £25,000.

Summer Transfers Out - Euan Henderson (to Dundee United) £30,000, Sean Ward (six month loan to Edinburgh City), Aidan Keena (six month loan to Livingston), Callumn Morrison (to Vitoria de Guimaraes) £27,500, Ola Solbakken (loaned back to Ranheim for six months as part of transfer). 

I decided I needed a right winger as a matter of urgency. Callumn Morrison looked okay but that was about it. While he was an Academy product, I felt we could do better and after some scouting, Sixten Jensen was the man to come in. Oakley-Boothe was an unexpected signing, really. I didn't need a centre midfielder but after a couple of injuries at the back end of pre-season, I needed cover and Oakley-Boothe fit the bill. Husic is an 18-year old Bosnian centre-midfielder, signed from the Danish third tier. He's not close to my first-team, however he has potential to be decent at SPL level and for no fee, it felt a god signing. Solbakken's signing was a long-running saga that plagued my summer. Identified as a key player by my scouts and having a low asking price, I set about signing him. His wage demands were problematic but we eventually, at the third time of asking, got it over the line on the proviso that he went back to Ranheim for six months, which I'm happy with as I have two good left wingers for the time being. I will phase him in when he arrives in February, as I have a loanee from Manchester City, who'll leave at the end of the season. 

-----------------------------------------------

July 2019 

Hearts 6-0 Forfar Athletic - Betfred Cup Group D 

Montrose 1-4 Hearts - Betfred Cup Group D

Ross County 0-1 Hearts - Betfred Cup Group D

Hearts 3-0 Elgin City - Betfred Cup Group D

Excellent. The whole campaign revolved around that trip to Ross County and thankfully, we passed our first proper test with relative ease. Forfar, Montrose and Elgin were games we should have won and did and I didn't fancy any of those sides to test us in a game or for qualification. 

August 2019 

Hearts 1-1 Celtic

Hamilton Academicals 0-4 Hearts 

Hearts 3-2 Ross County - Betfred Cup Second Round

Aberdeen 2-2 Hearts

Hearts 0-0 St Johnstone

While Ross County was our first test of the season and an indicator of where we were at, nothing compared with starting the season against Celtic. A draw was the fair result and it gave me a new found confidence in the squad, that the Betfred Cup wasn't a phase or an unfair indication of the squad, to follow it up with a 4-0 drubbing away at Hamilton was more than pleasing. We then drew Ross County, again, in the Betfred Cup and they provided a sterner test but we ended up winning, thankfully. The last two games of the month were a mixed bag, the Aberdeen game was a lucky escape, we probably should have lost, whereas St Johnstone, it was a hammering but we couldn't put the ball in their net. 

September 2019

Kilmarnock 1-3 Hearts

Hearts 4-1 Livingston

Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen - won 4-3 on penalties - Betfred Cup Quarter Final

Rangers 0-0 Hearts

Another month, another month without defeat. Kilmarnock and Livingston were won with relative ease, the last two games were the key ones. Thankfully, Celtic and Rangers drew each other in the Quarter Finals and we had a tricky game against Aberdeen, which was, thankfully, won on the lottery of penalties. Rangers was another big indicator of where we were and we kept them at bay and did have a goal disallowed of our own. 

October 2019

Hearts 2-0 Hibernian

Hearts 2-1 St Mirren

Motherwell 3-1 Hearts

Ross County 1-2 Hearts

Derby games are always big for me and by this stage of the season being unbeaten, I couldn't lose to Hibs. Thankfully, we started without them, we were two up inside seven minutes and it took them roughly an hour to get a grip of the game, but by that point the damage was done. St Mirren was a sign of what was coming, in hindsight. We were poor but nicked it in the 83rd minute. Motherwell, well, they were excellent and we were shocking. They rocked us with an early goal and we didn't recover and they hit us with a sucker punch of a second just before half-time, we managed to get a goal back after 68 minutes and late on, I rolled the dice and went to an "attacking" mentality, to which, Motherwell hit us on the counter and won it. Ross County were Ross County, we beat them again and they weren't much cop but the score flattered them. 

November 2019

Celtic 2-3 Hearts - Betfred Cup Semi-Final

Hearts 2-2 Hamilton Academicals

Celtic 2-1 Hearts

When the Semi-Final was drawn, I was hoping for St Johnstone or Dundee United but we got the one nobody wanted, Celtic. Could we actually turn the two draws against the Old Firm into a win? Yes, we could. We lead after 9 minutes through a Jamie Walker penalty and Celtic chased us from then on. They showed their quality, pegging us back twice before Tashan Oakley-Boothe smashed one in with seven minutes left. Excellent, a matter of months in and a Final, it's happened quicker than I imagined. The Hamilton game was a bit of a mess, I rested a few players and those that come in, did nothing to make me think I should be playing them for. Celtic then got their revenge on us a week or so after beating them at Hampden. I think on another day, we could have nicked a point but they're a quality side. 

• Upvote 1

Still not actually got this would you believe. I've just not been that tempted into it. Get the feeling I won't be keen.

I've got it installed now but not decided what career I want to do yet. I'm addicted to journeyman but also don't really have the hours to sink into it most of the time. Watch this space...

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I've got it installed now but not decided what career I want to do yet. I'm addicted to journeyman but also don't really have the hours to sink into it most of the time. Watch this space...

I had similar. Got it for Christmas but didn’t really know where to start, so didn’t actually play it. This Hearts save, after reading a FM forum about an Aberdeen save, has got me though. Enjoying this at the minute, it’s providing a decent challenge so far. 

Just got this, first one for a few years. Seems to be even more complicated than I remember, going to have a go at the touch one.

Just downloaded the demo. My last FM game was FM17 so I'm just going to check if I like it before buying the full version... 

Is 2020 even worth getting if you have 2019?

Just now, nudge said:

Just downloaded the demo. My last FM game was FM17 so I'm just going to check if I like it before buying the full version... 

Why are you posting at the same time as me? There can only be one! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Why are you posting at the same time as me? There can only be one! 

• Haha 1

Been doing a Bundesliga season save to increase my knowledge of the league.

Picked Hertha Berlin just because I think it would be nice to see the capital of Germany have a giant football team. There stadium to my surprise is massive and the foundations are pretty much there.

The aim was to avoid relegation in the first season. Its Christmas and we are second xD

Long term strategy is to gain a reputation as a development club. Anybody over 27 will be gone in the summer along with any players outperforming what I believe should be their market value. Rinse and repeat every season. Leipzig and Dortmund have shown it's possible to compete with a similar attitude.