The better place to talk football.

Rugby World Cup 2019

football forum

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Is there much coverage in Holland? 

Every match is broadcasted live, but it's on a sports channel that you have to pay for. There isn't too much interest in it. I know my father watches it apart from myself, and a co-worker, but that's about all in my immediate social circle. I absolutely adore the sport, though.

6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’ve enjoyed the tournament so far, but please try and defend this game......

Haha I won’t, can’t see the final being that great tbh

One thing I’ll say for Union watching it in New Zealand brings a whole new respect to the game for me

39 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Every match is broadcasted live, but it's on a sports channel that you have to pay for. There isn't too much interest in it. I know my father watches it apart from myself, and a co-worker, but that's about all in my immediate social circle. I absolutely adore the sport, though.

Good man the Netherlands will get to a World Cup one day I’m sure of it. Potentially got a god pool of folk to draw from with the South African connections. I’d personally love a European national Championship every 4 years where you had several teams with a chance of winning it. 

The growth of Japan and the rise of the US should accelerate it’s globalisation hopefully 

3 hours ago, Panflute said:

We played you once. We won 110.0 :D

15 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Good man the Netherlands will get to a World Cup one day I’m sure of it. Potentially got a god pool of folk to draw from with the South African connections. I’d personally love a European national Championship every 4 years where you had several teams with a chance of winning it. 

The growth of Japan and the rise of the US should accelerate it’s globalisation hopefully 

Perhaps. The sport seems to be growing here a bit, but given how easy it seems to be to play for another national team, I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of homegrown rugby players just feed into other national teams before our own takes off the ground. Like that one guy we had who played for the Scottish NT.

In the end I don't care much about whether or not we become decent though. I just like watching the sport without a clear stake in it (although I do generally prefer southern hemisphere teams).

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We played you once. We won 110.0 :D

Oh I don't doubt it. We're probably as good at rugby as San Marino are at football.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

It's not offensive but also not the done thing when it comes to the Haka. They also encroached over the half-way line which is against the rules, though. They had to be told by the officials to step back.

Several NZ players and Steve Hansen said they loved the V formation, thinking it was brilliant. The Haka is a pre game ‘challenge’ and requires a response. With the exception of stepping over the halfway line, nobody did anything wrong. Everybody needs a safe space these days though.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I don't know anything about the sport, but came across this article. Why were they fined? Is the "V" somehow offensive? 

France was fined too for the same thing

The stunt has cost them a fine, believed to be £2,000, which is £500 less than France were ordered to pay for the same offence before their World Cup final against the Kiwis EIGHT years ago.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup-england-fined-20754198

1966473838_download(1).thumb.png.a96e174ad83a91d8c088a43198ffea55.png

I do sports science at uni. I would just like to point out, that with no hint of sarcasm, the Haka does provide the NZ team with an edge. Obviously there is a small psychological aspect. But the main deal for me is the 3-5 minutes one team has to line up and go cold while NZ form up and do a war dance, keeping warm and pumped. 

• Subscriber

Why didn't the All Blacks play like this against England they are running circles around Wales, I know this match is an anti-climax for both teams as third place and a bronze medal but at least Wales should give it a go and try and beat the AB's.

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Why didn't the All Blacks play like this against England they are running circles around Wales, I know this match is an anti-climax for both teams as third place and a bronze medal but at least Wales should give it a go and try and beat the AB's.

Because England absolutely dominated them and stopped them doing what they usually do.

Full credit has to go to us.

• Subscriber

Is everybody getting ready for the final? been up since 05.00 so I will make myself a coffee shortly and sit down and hopefully enjoy the game and I hope its an open flowing game and not one where the Springbocks will close shop and try and hit England on the break.  :coffee:

On 30/10/2019 at 12:02, Tommy said:

It’s because they crossed the half way line. Kiwi’s liked the challenge they saw it as a sign of respect, you meet a challenge you don’t cower away from it. 

On 27/10/2019 at 22:22, The Artful Dodger said:

Loathe Rugby, but is there any chance the public schools boys won't win? To be honest even the tory party are preferable to the apartheid supporters. Genuinely torn.

22 of this side didn’t pay for their education, maybe time to grow up a bit and recognise your own prejudices are a bit pathetic. 

49 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Is everybody getting ready for the final? been up since 05.00 so I will make myself a coffee shortly and sit down and hopefully enjoy the game and I hope its an open flowing game and not one where the Springbocks will close shop and try and hit England on the break.  :coffee:

I’m doing the wolf run, going to watch it in a field on a big screen 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s because they crossed the half way line. Kiwi’s liked the challenge they saw it as a sign of respect, you meet a challenge you don’t cower away from it. 

22 of this side didn’t pay for their education, maybe time to grow up a bit and recognise your own prejudices are a bit pathetic. 

I’m doing the wolf run, going to watch it in a field on a big screen 

Stretched out here on the sofa watching it and in here with my mobile, once it kicks off I will give the wife a call as she likes Rugger too.

Archived