The better place to talk football.

Rugby World Cup 2019

football forum

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Ireland have to be the most overrated Rugby Union team there is. I'm not an expert but last World Cup they got hammered against Argentina as well.

Watch Ireland go onto win now I've said that!

They're not over-rated xD.

Are you basing it on only today and one game against Argentina?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

They're not over-rated xD.

Are you basing it on only today and one game against Argentina?

I told you I'm not an expert, but they seem to always underachieve whenever I've watched this tournament. Maybe they are good in Six Nations but they need to show it against teams from the Southern Hemisphere. 

8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not really, Japan is the host nation and national pride is kicking in, thats them 19-12 ahead now, I think Ireland looked at this game as a pushover, they have landed back on planet earth now with a big thud, 6 minutes to go.

Yeah it's hard to say. If this happened 4 years ago, I would have said it was a big shock, but now that we've seen Japan rise rapidly over the years I'd have Fiji losing to Uruguay as the bigger upset. Don't have enough knowledge on Rugby history to name the others unfortunately I just know the 2015 Japan win over South Africa is the biggest.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Uruguay as the bigger upset. Don't have enough knowledge on Rugby history to name the others unfortunately I just know the 2015 Japan win over South Africa is the biggest.

The 1995 World Cup Final, South Africa beating the odds on favourites the All Blacks 15-12 was one I remember as the All Blacks had the late, great Jonah Lomu in their side, that guy was built like a brick shithouse and could literally run through players, it wasn't a great game really but South Africa did their game plan to perfection and stopped Lomu.

6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The 1995 World Cup Final, South Africa beating the odds on favourites the All Blacks 15-12 was one I remember as the All Blacks had the late, great Jonah Lomu in their side, that guy was built like a brick shithouse and could literally run through players, it wasn't a great game really but South Africa did their game plan to perfection and stopped Lomu.

Find it incredible how South Africa brought a bunch of trophies home once Apartheid was abolished. First the Rugby World Cup and AFCON the following year xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Find it incredible how South Africa brought a bunch of trophies home once Apartheid was abolished.

Rugby & Cricket is really their national favourite sport like New Zealand, Rugby & Cricket, Australia follows the same trend with Australian Rules Football too, funny enough I watched the Australian Rules Football Grand Final this morning where the Tigers beat the Giants for the cup, thats a wee bit like rugby and I have played Aussie rules also when I was young out there. 

5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Aye, 24-3 now, :coffee:  :whistling:

Gonna be difficult for your boys now as well with Japan beating Ireland. Japan probably go in as favourites now against you.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Gonna be difficult for your boys now as well with Japan beating Ireland. Japan probably go in as favourites now against you.

Aye, we've got to beat Samoa next and that just might be like Japan v Ireland  :shutup:  O.o

5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Aye, we've got to beat Samoa next and that just might be like Japan v Ireland  :shutup:  O.o

Samoe isn't a guaranteed win. I don't know what it is with Scotland they really seem to struggle with sport. There are exceptions like Murray of course but overall they don't seem to do that well even for a small country

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Samoe isn't a guaranteed win. I don't know what it is with Scotland they really seem to struggle with sport. There are exceptions like Murray of course but overall they don't seem to do that well even for a small country

They have been like that for years, once upon a time about 10 years ago the Scottish National Football team nearly always made it to the World Cup & European Finals, now they have gone down the pan, hard to put a finger on it really football-wise but maybe Scottish clubs are not promoting more youth into the first team and rely on signing players from England and Europe.

I think we have turned the corner a wee bit Rugby Union-wise than we were 3-4 years ago, just hope the standard of play keeps up and improving, its a pity we can't do this with the football, chopping and changing managers does not help either, I would just stick with Steve Clarke now and give the guy a chance. 

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

They have been like that for years, once upon a time about 10 years ago the Scottish National Football team nearly always made it to the World Cup & European Finals, now they have gone down the pan, hard to put a finger on it really football-wise but maybe Scottish clubs are not promoting more youth into the first team and rely on signing players from England and Europe.

I think we have turned the corner a wee bit Rugby Union-wise than we were 3-4 years ago, just hope the standard of play keeps up and improving, its a pity we can't do this with the football, chopping and changing managers does not help either, I would just stick with Steve Clarke now and give the guy a chance. 

Bit longer than that mate 1998 was the last time you were in a world cup. I think maybe Scotland were over achieving before then for a small country. Don't personally agree with you on Clark. You have the nation's league play of which gives you a good chance to get the the finals of a tournament and think you should get a foreign manager in and give him the qualifiers to give him a chance to get him know his team.

But if we want to continue this discussion we should do it on a different thread :D 

Archived