talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Exposing People For Their Past

football forum

What is the deal with this?

In some cases I think it must be dealt with (like the Ronaldo rape case, which is breaking the law) but what is the point of exposing embarrassing, but legal mistakes?

Our prime minister Justin Trudeau is involved in a scandal because he went to a party in 2001 with a Turban and painted in black. It's racist but he was a college kid and it was almost 20 years ago ffs.

What an embarrassing generation we live in.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no different to any other person, we are all chained by our past and it is often used unfairly against us. I feel sorry for no politician getting grief about anything, they put themselves up there. 

On the other hand, if someone is earnest in their apology and repudiate past views I do believe people should give them a chance. 

People make mistakes, some more than others due to a multitude of reasons from upbringing, social demographics to bad guidance... It's those that reflect and have a genuine capacity to search for forgiveness because they know their actions were wrong no matter if they were based on ignorance, it's those people that not only earn the right to another chance even from the victims of said action, but more so that those people are the best types to then take action against that type of error that can occur to so many.

I hope I was clear enough in what I just wrote.

6 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I am a bit confused here, was the great singer, comedian and actor Al Jolsen a racist when he painted his face black for the film 'The Jazz Singer'?

uewb_06_img0382.jpg

4ad897ed2f75bf87303031102ad74584--the-ja

Canadians love to trash on Trudeau but this whole controversy of him going to a party as a college kid is just embarrassing. 

Trudeau should win the next elections, he's the lesser of the 2 evils and I hope something totally legal and normal that happened 20 years ago doesn't cost him before we get our very own Trump.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Canadians love to trash on Trudeau but this whole controversy of him going to a party as a college kid is just embarrassing. 

Trudeau should win the next elections, he's the lesser of the 2 evils and I hope something totally legal and normal that happened 20 years ago doesn't cost him before we get our very own Trump.

Isn't this the third time that the images of him wearing blackface emerge? xD He's really into dressing up and cosplay it seems. A costume fetish maybe? :ph34r:

1568909304939.png

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That looks pretty racist tbh

That's nothing... There used to be a show called the 'Black&White Minstral Show' back in the 70's and it ran for 20 odd years up until about 1978 and that drew in a regular 18Million viewers a week... I used to watch it as a kid and don't forget 'Love Thy Neighbour' 

Things like that are clearly not acceptable forms of entertainment in this modern era but were the accepted norm back in the day.. You can't change the past, only learn from it.. Some out there will not be satisfied until every book is burned and every statue pulled down to satisfy their bedroom fury... Can't find something to moan about or get offended by?? I know, let's go back in time because there are plenty of things to get upset about there that I can post on Facebook.. 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

No surprises with the negative reaction, everyone on here is absolutely fucked if they got to a position of power.

Maybe that's why some such as yourself refrain from posting pictures of themselves? 

If you've done shit like that you need to own it, not hide it and hope no one ever finds out. That makes it worse tbh, people should be held accountable for the shit we do but at the same time we need to stop trying to punish people for the sake of punishing them and allow people to develop and grow otherwise we will just go around in circles

On 22/09/2019 at 03:55, Grizzly21 said:

What is the deal with this?

In some cases I think it must be dealt with (like the Ronaldo rape case, which is breaking the law) but what is the point of exposing embarrassing, but legal mistakes?

Our prime minister Justin Trudeau is involved in a scandal because he went to a party in 2001 with a Turban and painted in black. It's racist but he was a college kid and it was almost 20 years ago ffs.

What an embarrassing generation we live in.

You live in Canada? How did I not know this

23 hours ago, nudge said:

Isn't this the third time that the images of him wearing blackface emerge? xD He's really into dressing up and cosplay it seems. A costume fetish maybe? :ph34r:

1568909304939.png

Haha, what a man :D

11 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

That's nothing... There used to be a show called the 'Black&White Minstral Show' back in the 70's and it ran for 20 odd years up until about 1978 and that drew in a regular 18Million viewers a week... I used to watch it as a kid and don't forget 'Love Thy Neighbour' 

Things like that are clearly not acceptable forms of entertainment in this modern era but were the accepted norm back in the day.. You can't change the past, only learn from it.. Some out there will not be satisfied until every book is burned and every statue pulled down to satisfy their bedroom fury... Can't find something to moan about or get offended by?? I know, let's go back in time because there are plenty of things to get upset about there that I can post on Facebook.. 

Yeah I get that things that are considered offensive now weren't always offensive.

On the other hand, this Justin Trudeau thing is a bit different - it's one thing to show up in blackface at one costume party as a kid and claim "I didn't know any better" it's another thing with his 3rd photographed incident of blackface and he's only a couple of years younger than I am currently and not that far removed from the present day. I don't think he's really got an excuse at that point - it's not the 60s or the 70s anymore - he knew better at that point, he wasn't a kid at 29.

I don't even know if it makes him racist - it's just a stupid thing to have done, it shows a just general lack of awareness. 

But that also isn't to say that people can't change and that he may have learned that what he was doing was very stupid and "at best" racially insensitive (weird throwing an at best in front of that - but that pretty much is the at best scenario for someone doing that in the 90s)... because it's insane to assume that people can't change. Especially when so many people I know are pretty substantially different to how they were 10 years ago.

But I mean... not all things that are brought up from the past that people might have tried to forget they ever did should be forgiven just because "ah, it's a long time ago." If you're a rapist or a murderer... I don't think that shite should ever be forgiven.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't even know if it makes him racist - it's just a stupid thing to have done, it shows a just general lack of awareness. 

I think this... 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But I mean... not all things that are brought up from the past that people might have tried to forget they ever did should be forgiven just because "ah, it's a long time ago." If you're a rapist or a murderer... I don't think that shite should ever be forgiven.

Totally agree with the last part, when I talk about things having been acceptable in the past I certainly don't include any forms of abuse, rape or murder in that.. 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Totally agree with the last part, when I talk about things having been acceptable in the past I certainly don't include any forms of abuse, rape or murder in that.. 

Yeah lol I wasn't saying you (or anyone else) would be like "oh yeah rape was fine in the 1950s (although I'm pretty sure that's not true), so this guy raping people in the 50s... nbd" xD. That was more just a throwaway line because on the topic of pulling up dark shit from peoples' pasts... I can understand Canadians thinking "yeah it's fucking weird that Trudeau liked to black himself up so much - but it seems like he's changed" (or something along those lines, although tbh I think it's weird he's said he can't remember how many times he's done it). But I don't think I could understand anyone being like "oh, it's alright that this lad raped and killed children" (although... I'm not sure anyone on here would ever say that).

Archived